PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Ball With Rubbing Alcohol?

BowlingNewbie
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Quick question!

I was told by the pro shop I got my ball from that it was ok to use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean my bowling ball after I was done with a few games. Is that ok to use? Just want to make sure I'm not hurtning my ball. Ball is a Columbia 300 Freeze Solid, if that matters.

Thanks!

WolfGirl1980
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
The guy in my pro shop told me that it dulls the ball and takes the polish off the ball and after a while if you keep using alcohol it won't hook no more cause it needs the polish to grab the lanes and you will need to get your ball resurfaced at the pro shop and that will cost you about 25 bucks so I suggest you buy some cleaner that's made for your ball I can ask my coach which cleaner is good for your ball if you want but I might not get an answer or I could as the pro shop I go to where I bowl at if you want I have a Ebonite Cyclone Ball he told me to get for it Power House Energizer cleaner leave it on for couple seconds or minutes and then wipe it off .

bowl1820
06-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Quick question!

I was told by the pro shop I got my ball from that it was ok to use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean my bowling ball after I was done with a few games. Is that ok to use? Just want to make sure I'm not hurtning my ball. Ball is a Columbia 300 Freeze Solid, if that matters.

Thanks!

Yes you can use Rubbing Alcohol to clean your ball.

And NO It won't make your ball dull and not hook!

bowl1820
06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
The guy in my pro shop told me that it dulls the ball and takes the polish off the ball and after a while if you keep using alcohol it won't hook no more cause it needs the polish to grab the lanes.

That is a bunch of malarky he told you. It's not going to make the ball not hook anymore.

e-tank
06-26-2013, 12:30 PM
As bowl said rubbing alcohol is fine. I personally use rubbing alcohol + simple green

got_a_300
06-26-2013, 01:02 PM
The guy in my pro shop told me that it dulls the ball and takes the polish off the ball and after a while if you keep using alcohol it won't hook no more cause it needs the polish to grab the lanes

I do believe I'd be finding another pro shop as all that guy is doing is trying
to sell you some over priced factory ball cleaner as Isopropyl Alcohol will not
harm the ball in the least bit.

I use a mixture of 50% Isopropyl Alcohol and 50% Simple Green on all of
my bowling ball even the ones with polish on them and it has never dulled
up not even one of them that has polish on it.

It seems the pro shop operator doesn't really know what he is talking about
when saying the bowling ball has to have polish on it before it will hook if
that is the case then how would a ball with out of the box factory dull surface
ever hook on the lanes then.

All polish does to a bowling ball is it helps it to get thru the heads and mid lane
cleanly and store up energy up for the back ends so it can hook hard and hit the
pins harder without loosing all of its energy in the front and mid part of the lane(s).

BowlingNewbie
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Thank you all for the input/tips. I am going to try the alcohol/simple green mix soon!

Much appreciated!

Jaescrub
06-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I still use the power house cleaner it's just me being mega lazy why mix something up when it's done for me ;)

classygranny
06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I still use the power house cleaner it's just me being mega lazy why mix something up when it's done for me ;)

I'm with you...plus, I can always prove what I am using in case some jerk-off wants to challenge.

Jaescrub
06-26-2013, 03:58 PM
X2 on that you almost have to keep it with you our back splash get black marks on my equipment every week and that's still with my throwing slow from the hip not pushing not using any power

DLP
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
So the whole Simple Green / Alcohol mix... just spray on, wipe off?

e-tank
06-26-2013, 08:05 PM
I spray on a leave for about a min then wipe off

JPbowl
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm with you...plus, I can always prove what I am using in case some jerk-off wants to challenge.

A label on a bottle does not prove whats in it, gonna have to wait for the lab results !

billf
06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
USBC approved for use during competition cleaners are all that can be used DURING competition. You can use any cleaner or mixture you want any other time providing it's not on any kind of banned substance list.

I have a bottle of Kegel cleaner that's approved and I could refill it with anything I want and may do so when it's empty. I only use my Simple Green/Alcohol mix at home ;)

Hampe
06-28-2013, 04:38 AM
I like to use the expensive factory cleaner so I can look down my nose at all the other people with their budget and home-made cleaners.

Just kidding....I'm too lazy to mix one myself :). They also don't sell simple green here I think.

classygranny
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
A label on a bottle does not prove whats in it, gonna have to wait for the lab results !

LOL
You must have smarter jerk-offs there than we have around here...they probably couldn't read the label but it would "look" official enough to shut them up!

dnhoffman
06-28-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm cleaning my balls with straight 91% Isopropyl Alcohol -is this bad?

billf
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
It's not bad using straight alcohol. The only real drawbacks are that it's not a degreaser and dries too fast. Mixing it allows for a degreaser and still dries quickly.