PDA

View Full Version : Just Give Me My Damn 300!

Greenday
06-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Ugh, every week, I keep getting close to getting my first 300. Two weeks ago, I had the front 8 during a league game. Tonight, despite having a bum wrist and a wrecked shoulder, I got the front nine. I want it so badly. I get into the zone and throwing strikes is about as hard as counting them. You just roll it and it's a strike. Then just one slightly off ball and bam, no strike. It doesn't even feel like I'm trying when I get that many in a row.

On a side, note I started my second game off with four in a row, then in my fifth frame, I had what I thought was a good pocket shot, but the two pin got stood up from another pin hitting it and it slid all the way to the 7 pin position. Total BS.

billf
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
When you least expect it, it will come.

Greenday
06-26-2013, 11:10 PM
When you least expect it, it will come.

So during the final week wear the top half of all five houses meet and have a bowl off and first prize is $5,000?

bowldave
06-27-2013, 05:34 AM
Lets hope...
I bowld for 12 years and never had a 300..
Then i bowled 3 in 3 weeks time.. bizar! :D
sooo it will come!

Tampabaybob
06-27-2013, 08:46 AM
So during the final week wear the top half of all five houses meet and have a bowl off and first prize is $5,000?

Have you thought about maybe the "RIGHT" time is coming during that roll-off for 5 Grand?? When you get that far into the game stop thinking about a 300 and try to relax and just throw a good shot. Bill's correct, It'll come when you least expect it.

My first 300 game came after 35 years of bowling. And it was with an Excalibur ball. In case you've never heard of that ball, it was the FIRST resin ball ever to come on the market. Also along with that 300, came my first 800 sees in the same series....856!
It was an association record. The guy I threw it against, a good friend, broke it ONE WEEK LATER, shooting 857 ! So I held the record for one whole week !!

got_a_300
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
And it was with an Excalibur ball. In case you've never heard of that ball, it was the FIRST resin ball ever to come on the market.

Oh yeah I still remember the old Excalibur bowling ball
I was the first and if I remember correctly the only one
in our center to ever get one of them.

I guess everyone else was afraid to get one of them as it
hooked so much on the old wood lanes and even hooked
like crazy on synthetic lanes that one of my friends started
calling me Amleto Monacelli Jr. from me hooking the ball
from the 1 or 2 board on the left gutter to the 1 or 2 board
on the right gutter and then back into the pocket again.

Man I wish that I still had that ball.

bowlerRob2
06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I agree with Billf.. when you least expect it, there it is..I rolled my first 300 just few days ago and no one was more surprised at the 12th strike than I was. All I can tell you is that up until the 9th frame I just looked at it like a string of strikes expecting it to end. But they kept falling in the 10th and as hard as it was, I focused on one ball at a time. So maybe you are thinking about it too much?

Greenday
06-29-2013, 11:44 PM
I think when I get towards the end there, I start to lose focus and stop trying to just make an acceptable shot.

Tampabaybob
06-30-2013, 11:12 AM
I agree with Billf.. when you least expect it, there it is..I rolled my first 300 just few days ago and no one was more surprised at the 12th strike than I was. All I can tell you is that up until the 9th frame I just looked at it like a string of strikes expecting it to end. But they kept falling in the 10th and as hard as it was, I focused on one ball at a time. So maybe you are thinking about it too much?

Way to go Rob....congratulations ! Sometimes we wonder when that first one will come, but if you think about it or worry about it seems like it will take longer. You did exactly what you needed to do and to say to yourself, just take it one ball at a time. Great job.

Hammer
06-30-2013, 11:26 AM
When you get nine strikes in a row and you really want that 300 game you usually start to tense up. Then you start thinking too much and you steer the ball instead of letting it just come off your hand. or maybe as you make your approach you think to yourself that you will put just a little more into the shot to make the ball really demolish the pins. OOPS! The ball hit high. You should think of only one thing and that is to make your best shot. :cool:

bowlerRob2
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Way to go Rob....congratulations ! Sometimes we wonder when that first one will come, but if you think about it or worry about it seems like it will take longer. You did exactly what you needed to do and to say to yourself, just take it one ball at a time. Great job.

Thank you! Although I would be lying if I didn't admit that Lady Luck helped a tad! I did at least remain in or near the pocket the whole time, including a few light mixers.

Tampabaybob
07-01-2013, 07:25 AM
As I've always said....."I'd rather be lucky than good....a lucky bowler is ALWAYS on, a good bowler isn't !"

GeoLes
07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
As they said in "Field of Dreams".....

"If you bowl it, It will come"