PDA

View Full Version : Extreme carrydown-How do you deal with it?

josheaton16
07-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I went bowling over the weekend and my normal house was closed. So i went to our other one in town which is a bowling alley/entertainment center, with a game room, mini golf etc. So mostly open bowlers thats a lot of plastic going down the lanes. I had a few shot where pins would slide all the way across the lane! So there was oil pretty much all the way to the pin deck. I moved my shot to about the 2 board just going straight in and still had to crank it to get it there. Many shot were weak as the ball was still sliding rather than rolling. Have any of you ever experienced carrydown this bad and how did you adjust?

dnhoffman
07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
We tried a new house this summer for a 10 week league that had oil from the fronts to behind the pins (seriously I walked down and checked...) 2 weeks in a row. I complained so much their lane tech mysteriously discovered the problem and boom.. 41 ft THS thereafter

But to answer your question, we didn't get any hook/roll until about game 3 with all eight of us being right-handlers... So you straight-bowl like its 1999 unless you crank to about 500 revs...

bowl1820
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Instead of playing out to the 2 board (or trying to crank 500 revs) and forcing the ball into the pocket.

Try playing the ball closer to the pocket or move your feet right and play straighter to the pocket.

The harder the shot, the less boards you should try to cover.

billf
07-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Play it like the US Open pattern of the Brunswick sport shot, straight and close to the pocket.

josheaton16
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
I was trying to go straight in the pocket for a while, but every shot felt weak, like the ball was still sliding. Once i moved outside more the shot had a little more power but not much. How would you get the ball into a good roll when it just wants to slide?

dnhoffman
07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Soften the speed?

JDHamm85
07-02-2013, 10:25 AM
I go straighter and pump up the revs some. Cup my wrist up while holding the ball, through the swing, then on the down swing / release un cup it.

Gets the ball into a roll earlier to reduce the skid and still have enough power to carry.

Now doing it consistently and hitting the right mark is a different story, haha.

GeoLes
07-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Cup my wrist up while holding the ball, through the swing, then on the down swing / release un cup it.

Gets the ball into a roll earlier to reduce the skid and still have enough power to carry. .

I have seed the pros cup the wrist at the top of the swing, but the release is too quick to see exactly what is going on. I never considered cupping and then uncupping or more earlier rol. I will have to add this one to my arsenal of adjstment tools.

JDHamm85
07-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I watched this video from Randy Pederson on how to put more revs on the ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJZb0FkWxo

He doesn't necessarily say it is for heavy carrydown, but when you do have heavy carrydown, it is important to get the ball rolling and not have it skid.

He has a lot of good videos up. He has a couple talking about swing, talking about picking the right ball, bowling on a THS, all kinds of stuff.

bowl1820
07-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I have seed the pros cup the wrist at the top of the swing, but the release is too quick to see exactly what is going on.

Some nice slow mo for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE&list=PL602B4C7E733CAB55&index=2&feature=plpp_video

bowl1820
07-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Ever wonder how bowling oil transitions and what you can do to understand it? In this new presentation by Jason Doust you will learn to understand the concepts of oil transitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfJqa0e3i8

JDHamm85
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I've seen the swing video, but that oil transition video is pretty cool. Thanks Bowl for sharing!