PDA

View Full Version : How to Shut Someone Up

Greenday
07-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Last night, had my Tuesday Trios league. I got to our pair of lanes before my teammates did so I decided to chat with one of the guys we'd be bowling against. Immediately he started bitching about handicaps and how unfair handicaps are for good bowlers (We do 85% of 220). That I'll understand what he's talking about if I ever become a good bowler (Dick). How you shouldn't win games if you can't win it scratch. Etc. etc.. Really pissed me off. I was telling him how I keep going up against subs who then bowl a bunch of 260s, 270s and there's little I can do about it. So what does he do? He purposely puts his sub in against me to try to get in my head. Well screw him, we get to change our lineup second since we were on the right lane first. We change our lineup so I bowl anchor against him. (We also get points for individual games and series)

First game, I bowl a 214, he bowls a 204.

Second game, I bowl a 214, he bowls a 197.

Third game, I bowl a 193, he bowls a 230.

Fourth game, I bowled a 205, he bowled a 201.

So in the end, we took a total of 21 of 26 points and I beat him scratch three out of four games. He was furious. He then backtracked and said I was a good bowler and definitely had the potential to become great, but the other guys on my team aren't any good. This made me super pissed off. He said it right in front of one of my teammates (Who has a 209 average). So I laid into him. Our third came into the league with a 155 average. His average is up to 187 right now and he's been holding up his end of the team. The guy with a 209 average (Highest on our team) really knows his stuff, he just needs some minor tweaks and to gain more confidence in playing different lines. And I told him clearly he's not the great bowler he thinks he is because he just got beat scratch by some bowler with a 193 average when he has a 219 average and I haven't even been bowling seriously for a year.

He just shut up at that point and left. Felt good. Go join a scratch league at a different house if you hate bowling against people of varying ability so much.

Jaescrub
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice! Im a nice guy for the most part but I don't f around nor do my teammates ha ha ha.

Greenday
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm usually pretty non-confrontational, but this guy just wouldn't stop ripping on us.

JPbowl
07-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I would have told him to join a scratch league and left it at that

JDHamm85
07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Lol. Sounds like the guy had it coming.

got_a_300
07-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Good for you I'm glad you beat that loud mouth guy
3 out of 4 games and he had it coming what you said
to him.

I just hate bowling against people like that the ones
that think they are all that and then some and think
they just can not be beat.

You just can not let them get to you and get into your
head just block them out and beat them and just show
them who the better bowler is.

Tampabaybob
07-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Ben....WAY TO GO MAN !! You not only gave him a piece of your mind , you gave him a goo whipping' he won't forget for a while. Unfortunately every league, every bowling center, has guys like that. What you did, was the best thing to shut a guy like that up. I agree with the other comments, "If you wanna bowl scratch, get you axx outa this league and go find a scratch league and complain about the 230 bowlers beating you !

By the way good shooting !!!!

billf
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Love it.
I don't know how much of his talk was serious and how much was to mess with the mindset of you and your teammates but either way, he got schooled!

Greenday
07-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Love it.
I don't know how much of his talk was serious and how much was to mess with the mindset of you and your teammates but either way, he got schooled!

He was dead serious. He was being extremely disrespectful and I'm glad it bit him in the ***.

TCJ
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Most of the loudmouths around my center are not anywhere to be seen when the animal patterns are on the lanes. I figure if they were as good as they seem to believe, they'd come and prove it. The funny thing? This guy who has about a 230 average on my Tuesday night winter league tried the PBA Experience for a little bit and quit. He had a 155 average going. Meanwhile, I have a current PBA Experience average of 167 (196 regular average). I think it puts things a little into perspective.

As for dealing with those types, I'm not the sort of person who will engage in word wars. I typically like to just beat them and I'll play mind games with them (not something I do to others).

J Anderson
07-04-2013, 10:02 PM
As for dealing with those types, I'm not the sort of person who will engage in word wars. I typically like to just beat them and I'll play mind games with them (not something I do to others).

Like you I don't engage in a war of words with an opponent, even if they try to provoke one. The closest I come to trash talking is when after shaking hands with our opponents at the start of a match and saying "Bowl well", I turn to my teammate and say " that's an order for you". I've known several bowlers that I'm sure that I could play mind games on, and have always had to resist the temptation to do so. I prefer to focus on my bowling first, helping my teammates if I can, and try not to worry about what the other team is doing. Given that Greenday's opponent started with the mind games I wouldn't have any compunction about getting inside his head and seeing what I can knock loose.