PDA

View Full Version : It's like taking an old friend to the vet!

DLP
07-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Well Dippy's in the shop getting fixed up. I swear it's like leaving your best friend at the vet for surgery or something. I can't wait till she's back home. By far the Fringe has been the best ball I've thrown yet and even with a not quite perfect drill pattern on it, I've still bowled better than previously.

Thanks to everyone for helping me come to my own conclusions. She is getting the "make over" of drilling for a leftie with my right hand layout to support my backup ball. The Pro is hoping that since I won't be fighting the laws of physics tooth and nail, he'll be able to get additional info (like my track and PAP) after he shifts stuff around. I'll get her back sometime later this week with the updates and then we'll really see how she reacts!

I ran into my coach (oddly enough in the Pro shop when I stopped by) and both he and the Pro think it's going to be a great move ahead for me. When my coach asked me about my league games, I told him about the 114 and the 82. He asked me about the third game.... his face got a big smile on it when I mentioned the 163 :)

I'll probably set up some time to work with him and the Pro again after the adjustment to make sure it's all good. I so can't wait!

Anyone else get this excited trying a new layout on a ball before or is it just me?

Greenday
07-09-2013, 01:08 AM
You throw a backup ball, but had a righty layout? Ouch. Getting the correct layout for your backup ball will give you a lot more power on your shots since the ball will want to roll towards the pocket, not away.

J Anderson
07-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Anyone else get this excited trying a new layout on a ball before or is it just me?

I can't say that I've gotten excited over a new layout because I usually just let Tim or Chris figure out what the layout should be. They've seen me bowl for about four seasons in the sport league and they have calculated my P.A.P.

I'm a bit excited that I have both of my VG Nanos in the shop to be de-oiled and resurfaced.

DLP
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes, Greenday :) ... it's what several of my posts have been about. Try and switch to throwing a hook or just keep what I got going because it's turning into a good thing. Reading on the web there are a few different school of thought ranging from the "Stick with what you know and what is comfortable" all the way to "Don't do it! It's not the right way!!!!". Thanks to some great and positive feedback here combined with both my Pro and my coach.... this will be the first ball that I've had drilled to actually fit my style.

And J, that is awesome!!! You'll have to let me know how it goes :)

J Anderson
07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes, Greenday :) ... it's what several of my posts have been about. Try and switch to throwing a hook or just keep what I got going because it's turning into a good thing. Reading on the web there are a few different school of thought ranging from the "Stick with what you know and what is comfortable" all the way to "Don't do it! It's not the right way!!!!". Thanks to some great and positive feedback here combined with both my Pro and my coach.... this will be the first ball that I've had drilled to actually fit my style.

I probably won't get a chance to try either one until league on Thursday and then it will only be the right-handed ball. The real test may be this weekend when Dave and I bowl in a doubles tournament in Norwalk. Even though I grew up in Norwalk, I've only bowled at this center a dozen times or so. It has a reputation for dry lanes and sticky approaches so there may not be a line for the Nano to play.

Greenday
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM

There's a guy in my Cash Doubles league who throws a 19mph backup ball with a VERY strong hook. His average is in the upper 190s. Anyone who says you can't do well bowling that way doesn't know what they are talking about.

billf
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I still get excited when trying a new ball, a test ball (I hate giving them back lol) or even a new layout. Part of it is hoping to stumble upon something totally awesome that will up my game.

DLP
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Waiting patiently to get my ball back. I can't bowl all this week because I'm on-call at work. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow after work and throw a few games. Not even sure what to expect! Hope I can adapt quickly enough to throw on leagues on Sunday night, or I'll end up throwing my Pyramid.