PDA

View Full Version : What a difference taking care of your equipment makes!

e-tank
07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I gave my friends lucid and modern marvel a de oiling + resurfacing this past weekend as well as my HRR and too reckless yesterday.

For some background info, I de oiled his balls + my too reckless late feb early march (Got hrr used but like new).

I bowl approximately twice as many games as he does on a weekly basis and wipe off my ball between shots + clean it after a session where as he does none of that

So i sanded all balls to 360 grit then put them in my diy revivor oven. The results?

Lucid and marvel took a good 2- 2.5 hours combined to stop sweating

HRR and too reckless took 40 min(each got 2 10 min sessions) and no sweating was had so i stopped

I expected his to sweat like pigs but i was really surprised that nothing came out of mine

Oh well at least my babys got a resurface out it :cool:

swingset
07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I've had the same experience. I wipe all mine off in between shots and clean them at the end of the night, and I've sanded & sweat several only to have nothing come out of them. Meanwhile I've refinished a couple that other people throw and don't do this to and they seep oil for a good long while.

DLP
07-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Would you recommend then that I request that my Fringe get deep-cleaned/resurfaced while in the shop? I don't know how old it is, if it was cleaned properly, when it was last deep cleaned, etc....

e-tank
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I deep clean/resurface mine every 100 games or so. I havent used mine yet but i know for my friends balls it made a huge difference in reaction. When i get used balls the first thing i do is deep clean and resurface them.

Jaescrub
07-10-2013, 09:35 PM
My teammate that I gave the ball I won to dropped off his hammer viscous to get a real fit to his hands and cleaned and all that its never been done was a used ball he got a long long time ago. My pro shop guy said it baked all week just would not stop it looks great now others then the 4+ fills and re drills it had before he got it.

billf
07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Donna, yes!

got_a_300
07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Donna, yes!
I agree with bill, Donna I'd have that ball deep
cleaned and re-surfaced.

I just bought a ball one day last week with only
somewhere around 30 games or so on it but you
can bet I'll be doing a plug job on it and then I'll
do a deep clean and a full re-surface on it also.

dnhoffman
07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
First thing I'd do With a used ball Donna.

DLP
07-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Well she's clean and shiny now :) Thanks for the advice.

Got a small bottle of Tac Up in my bag that the pro threw in discounted since I started asking him about care and feeding :D

Had read up on this stuff previously and a lot of reviews said it wasn't very good for getting ball return scuff marks off. I didn't have any problems.

Btw, my pro has the coolest little print out from Storm that is like a sheet to keep track of how many games you play and their recommended cleaning schedule. Anyone know where I can track this down?

billf
07-13-2013, 09:28 AM
I have a copy. Email me and I will send it to you. It's in .pdf form
bowlerz_score@yahoo.com

JPbowl
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
i probably don't clean mine as much as i should, wipe off before each shot. use a cleaning mix every 10 games or so.
i notice that my urethane ball sweats oil while warm in my closet, my others do not.

billf
07-14-2013, 01:10 PM
My urethane sweats oil easily also. When I first joined this forum some members tried telling me urethane doesn't absorb oil. Evidently they didn't own and use urethane currently.
The oil may not get as deep which could explain while it expels it so easilyy.

DLP
07-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Bill - thanks for the email :) .... posting the pdf I found on here in case anyone else wants to use it :
http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/Ball_Maintenance_Matrix_4up.pdf

I printed it out and have it in my bag so I can track my Fringe

classygranny
07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Bill - thanks for the email :) .... posting the pdf I found on here in case anyone else wants to use it :
http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/Ball_Maintenance_Matrix_4up.pdf

I printed it out and have it in my bag so I can track my Fringe

Thanks much...I was just doing mine on a piece of paper, but this makes it soooo much easier!