PDA

View Full Version : When bowling is more than bowling....

DLP
07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
I'll start by saying I have no medical evidence to back this up but it has become an observation that I have about myself in particular.

As most of you know I only got interested in and involved in bowling relatively recently, like only within the last 4 months recently. It started as a ploy to get my husband and I exercising. Just something to start to get the body moving, at all. I had just recovered from major surgery and was in no way, shape, or form ready to try and train for a 5k again. Long story that, completely different conversation. I'll just preface it by saying it was the last of a very long and drawn out series of mishaps and ailments that not only took a physical toll on me but also a mental one. It's the mental one I want to focus on.

By the time the end of March rolled around, this self proclaimed geek/nerd/etc. was more of a shutdown introvert suffering a bout of severe depression. While I was more concerned about getting my husband out the door to actually do something physical (because I want him around for a long while), he was more concerned about me, and just getting me out the door. I had turned into a hermit who spoke to a few people more comfortably through social media outlets and wanted to deal with interacting with people face to face even less. It was a chore. One that I thoroughly despised because avoidance (and using every excuse in the book to stay home) was easier than getting out of my pajamas and having to tolerate what lay outside of my front door. No way to live life, I know.

Interesting thing about this sport called "bowling", it's good for the soul as well as the mind. I'll admit, not to long ago severe frustration occurred to the point at times, I almost walked away and said the heck with it, that I can't do this. But something oddly kept drawing me back to the lanes. Something I cannot explain outside of the fact that I am most content when my shirt smells of a bowling alley. You know the smell, the one that is ingrained in the towel you wipe your ball down with. That deep whiff of Eau de' lane oil.

And then it hit me yesterday. Last night as a matter of fact. I hear laughter, I see people enjoying themselves. I see all of the colors of life unfolding before my eyes when I am at the lane. A game, a sport that generations enjoy together. Where your biggest competitor isn't in the next lane over but it is yourself. Where things aren't black and white, because everyone around who is there is bowling their own way. Their own shade of whatever hue of the rainbow you want. And I am sure, some of them bowl paisley or plaid. Because bowling, it is just THAT way. What a phenomenal thing, this bowling is.

I seriously think, it has saved me from myself. There is a level of stress that washes away when I'm at the lanes. A mindset that has focus, that has purpose. When I go to the lanes, I leave my troubles at the door because when it comes down to it, it's just between the pins and I.

A line from DV8's Manifesto comes to mind: Nothing is as satisfying as hurling dangerously heavy spheres at stationary objects—and watching X’s fill the frames.

Jaescrub
07-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Donna you got it all right love your look on live the lanes and what it's all about :) ill read this post every time I get frustrated at the lanes.

billf
07-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Glad to hear that you found something, anything, to help.
Now comes the bad news. No matter how good you get, you will still have days where reality creeps in and you wonder why you bother bowling at all. Why bother, you will never be as good as you want to be. As competitors, every time we reach a goal, we raise the bar. Until somebody can average a season at 300, we will never be as good as we can be.

With my daughter, three step-daughters and ten step(?) grandchildren, those few seconds on the approach, that's the only time I truly have to myself. Total silence except for my own voice. Whether out loud or in my head or total silence if I so choose. Work, family drama, finances, none of it gets to enter for ten seconds every few minutes. The last shot doesn't matter, the last game, last season. The only thing that matters is the shot I'm about to make. Maybe I should go back to a 5 step approach, to get myself one more second every few minutes.

A few weeks back a competitor gave me what I took as the ultimate compliment. He said he's never seen someone have as much fun off the approach without drinking and be as serious on the approach. My teammate was yelling at me that a pin was missing and I never heard him. I was in my world and in that world, their voices are not allowed in.

WolfGirl1980
07-14-2013, 08:46 AM
DLP I feel exactly the same way every single day out of the year I am unhappy and depressed only time I am happy is when I am bowling or at the beach in Florida or any beach for that matter and I only get to go do that once a year and I didn't get to go last year and I had a bunch of weight off last summer I was almost into an XL from a XXXL and because I didn't get to go to Florida to the beach I went into a huge depression in fact the only thing I did do was bowl and that was the only thing I did do and it was the only thing that made me happy but it all ends when I come home cause then I live like a hermit again and hibernate no exercise or anything like that to keep in shape I got off of my Vi-Salus shakes and I just gave up especially after me and mom had the wreck this guy pulled out on us and we swerved to miss him and when from side to side and end of on our side when we hit an embankment mom said she saw a light bright light and came back I dunno what happen to me I just remember hitting something hard in my nose and got a bloody nose out of it and migraine headaches I am trying to get back into walking now and lose the weight again and my shakes I have gained the wight back over the winter since the wreck cause mom had to go to rehab and I am not a very independent person my mom takes care of me I am spoiled still and I am mentally challenged so I am going to start learning to do things for myself but get back on topic I have just started to get back on my diet and we are going on vacation this year to a beach even if just for a week maybe longer if can afford it cause I know I go in another depression if don't but bowling is my life now and I want it to be my chosen profession someday if get good enough. But it has been a life saver for me as well!:cool:

Tampabaybob
07-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Donna, you have realized something about this sport that I wish many others could see. You have truly nailed it down and I'm going to refer people to your post that "don't get it" and would rather stay at home and wither away (I know a few) instead of getting out and enjoying life for what it is.

As you improve your game and become more confident in the sport, I would hope for one thing. And that would be for a person with such a great attitude, that you would aspire to becoming a certified coach and pass along your values to up and coming bowlers as I have done and Bill and many, many others. We all truly enjoy the sport and getting others on board as well. Whether, it's a little one using bumpers and getting their first strike or the kid that shoots their first 600 series, the pleasure is tremendous, both with the bowler, his or her parents as they watch it transpire and also with the coach, knowing they had a small part of it. The sport is truly blessed to have attitudes such as yours taking part.

bowlerRob2
07-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone and thanks Donna for posting this. I have never before thought of Bowling as any kind of cure for depression, but I think you might be on to something. Before last year, I was not getting out very much and hardly had any social activities outside of work. Then last fall, a friend said "let's go bowling" and that was all it took. My 10+ year hiatus from bowling was instantly over and I have not looked back since. Now I look at bowling in a new light that I had not seen before. Besides being a fun (and sometimes frustrating) game, it's an outlet for me and a chance to socialize and meet new people. No offense to this board, but online "social networks" don't compare to the real thing. And bowling people are the best!

MICHAEL
07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
VERY well said Donna!! Very well said!! I will copy and send this to my 3 boys that I am getting into the sport of bowling. Peter my middle has a birthday today! I am giving him a Nice two ball bag, with the bearing wheels, and a pair of shoes! I will make a copy of this thread, and put it in his bowling bag I believe..... WELL DONE! (:)

Hampe
07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks for sharing your story Donna. For me, bowling can sometimes almost be like meditation. It's a chance for me to forget all the other stressful things in my life, and it's just me, the ball, the lane, and the pins. It's also been a great way to spend some time with my dad, as well as fill the competitive hole in my life since I quit football. Bowling is the best :).

GeoLes
07-15-2013, 09:33 AM
I never cosidered bowling, but it may just be the next utopian society

e-tank
07-15-2013, 03:34 PM
fill the competitive hole in my life since I quit football. Bowling is the best :).

So much this. Bowling is more technical than anything ive done. Im always looking to improve in anything i do which is what keeps me coming back to bowling as im still far from perfect.

Also if you guys dont already, going to the gym is my place where i get away from everything and focus on the task at hand

swingset
07-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I hear laughter, I see people enjoying themselves. I see all of the colors of life unfolding before my eyes when I am at the lane. A game, a sport that generations enjoy together.

That's very astute and part of why I love to step into a bowling alley. It is not a funeral home, or an office, or a dreary and unhappy place. It's festive, and should be, and this is all supposed to be something we do for fun.

It's always great to keep that in mind, even when we have a terrible game or tournament, or we're in last place in our league.

It's a party, treat it like one.

Doll with Balls
07-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Donna,

I really enjoyed reading your post. I too have lived with clinical depression most of my life (since childhood.) However, bowling always brings me joy and makes me smile :) All of the people laughing, having a good time, handing out high-fives, I can't help but to be happy.

backlasher
07-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Well said Donna. I had a total left hip replacement at the end of the year and I made sure that I would be sufficiently healed to bowl when the league starts in September. Going to the lanes with my wife, when others bowl and I can't, has been hard but I think I may be ready a little early. I had a ball plugged and drilled differently (thanks Bill) and I tried it out for two games. It works really well. Soon I'll get to enjoy some of that bowling therapy. There's a line in "Silverado" where Kevin Kline says "I'm happiest in a saloon" Well, I think most of us are happiest in a bowling alley. Thank you, Donna.