PDA

View Full Version : Ball position relative to footwork?

JPbowl
07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm noticing more and more bowlers who take a first step and the ball is not timed to be over the first step. (4 step delivery, or for 5 step delivery ball is dropped into swing inline with their 3rd step)
Ends up that the ball is in line with their foot on their second step.

Has the practice of having the ball be directly over your first step been re-written ?

Perrin
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think the recommendation has changed.

Are you talking about professionally or in leagues or??

I have noticed lately (joined a 32 team 4 man league last year) that it is amazing how little people bother to try to get coaching to improve their game.
They will listen to the guy with the highest average or for that matter they will just experiment during league and go with whatever works for them...
One league I am in there are people that literally take a hop/skip step as the third step in their approach.

In other words I think it is just a byproduct of people teaching themselves.

J Anderson
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm noticing more and more bowlers who take a first step and the ball is not timed to be over the first step. (4 step delivery, or for 5 step delivery ball is dropped into swing inline with their 3rd step)
Ends up that the ball is in line with their foot on their second step.

Has the practice of having the ball be directly over your first step been re-written ?

In the standard 4 step approach the ball is pushed forward at the same time with the first step. It is dropped into the swing when the ball side foot touches the floor. In other words the ball drops into the swing at the start of the second step, or third step of a 5 step approach.

GeoLes
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
As J Anderson says. There are variations on timing from bowler to bowler. I started out as a 3-step bowler- moving foot and pushaway on the first step, but found timing more natural for me with 4 steps - pushing off on the left foot. Did not feel as if I was holding the ball back during the swing. I noticed bowlers, like Pete Weber actually took a fulll step before pushing off (5 steps). Some 5 steppers beging push off on step 2 (essentially a 4 step approaach with a lead in step), while others take two full steps before pushing off (essentially a 3 step approach with 2 lead in steps.

Classically, three or four steps are still taught to beginners, but there are no real rules to approrach. Whatever gets you to the line with good speed, natural swing and good timing is all that really counts.

Just my opinion.

e-tank
07-15-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't think the recommendation has changed.

Are you talking about professionally or in leagues or??

I have noticed lately (joined a 32 team 4 man league last year) that it is amazing how little people bother to try to get coaching to improve their game.
They will listen to the guy with the highest average or for that matter they will just experiment during league and go with whatever works for them...
One league I am in there are people that literally take a hop/skip step as the third step in their approach.

In other words I think it is just a byproduct of people teaching themselves.

I agree with that + some people just dont care

for example my buddy in league is about a 210-215 avg and he knows nothing about form, technique or even that balls could be sanded

he only has one line that he plays and if that line doesnt work later in the series hes screwed. I informed him about adjust and finding more oil but i just goes in one ear and out the other

My league is a fun league but i dont know any one in it that makes changes to their game when things go wrong other than myself

billf
07-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Also if they hinge instead of using the push away then the ball will start later.