PDA

View Full Version : When #s matter ;)

Jaescrub
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
So the Wife, Nomad "guy I gave the ball I won here to" and I Bowled for fun on sat. After about the 5th game of practice we start playing around doing silly releases just to make each other LoL. My wife uses a 10# white dot and 12# arson pearl. I won a Storm Lucid I gave to her she picked a 13# but never had it drilled cuz she says the 12 is kind to heavy she has a 125 avg. well she gets in on the fun and Throws Nomads 15# Illusion perfect throw, speed, nice pin down hook not heavy as she has no revs. Strike1, strike2, strike3, 4th shot lays all but the 10 pin. Now like I said she hates her arson cuz it's to "heavy" to her her throws Both willy nilly and fast! With this 15# it was clean shot after clean shot so is The wife crazy cry babying about to heavy throwing equipment that's too light? And can equipment that's to light make you less accurate? And have less hook?

billf
07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Yes, too light or too heavy can affect accuracy. Less hook....depends on how light. Most companies use pancake cores on lighter balls which does decrease ball reaction.

got_a_300
07-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Yep as bill said if the ball is too light it can throw off
accuracy and make you throw the ball too hard and
not get very much hook and it can also deflect more
than a heaver ball would when hitting the pins.

dnhoffman
07-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Aye, if it's too light (which btw, I believe most women throw too light of a ball) they'll man-handle it a bit and the accuracy really won't be there.

Tampabaybob
07-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Many times when I see a bowler "PULLING" the ball across in front of them, I find out how heavy of a ball they're throwing and try to move them up a pound or two to try the heavier weight. This usually works for "most" people. The heavier weight will usually help stabilize a persons' arm swing. In other words, if they're too strong for the lighter weight ball, they'll have a tendency to pull or push the ball more. Just an added pound or two can help. If your wife was able to throw a 15 #er for a few shots, then I'd say a 12 #er is not too light for her. Have her try a 12 or maybe go up to a light 13 pounder if you can find one that fits her.

Gunz1911
07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
I just bought my wife her first ball. Just did a normal plastic pancake ball. Sadly she didn't listen to me and went with a 10# ball cause everything was "too heavy." She does decent with it, averages around 100, but as Tampa said, she pulls the ball across her body almost every other shot. Really should have just told her 12# or no ball and took one for the team!!. But atleast she is having fun. Oh and for the record now that she has thrown it for a few weeks, she realized she should have gone up in weight.

Jaescrub
07-16-2013, 08:13 AM
That's the thing her white dot that she uses is only a 10# she likes it cuz she says its light and she can "whip" it down the lane when shooting at a full rack she's some time just willy nilly, now her spare pick ups are good when she has crazy splits ;) wows everyone. Then she has her strike ball a 12# hammer arson pearl she has good looks with it but complains its too heavy and that it dose not hook most of that is her release but I still see her toss it like its nothing. I won a pick your own ball at our local Oil capital tournament thinking my chances are a zero I told her if I won she could pick a ball for her self well I won :/ she picked a storm lucid 13# but our pro shop has held off or drilling it for her cuz he wanted her to work on her release for lil before fall league to give him a better idea of how to drill it up for her. The thing that makes me up set is that's an expensive ball if she "thinks" a 12# is too heavy and uses it rarely I know she will never pick up that 13# so kinda a waste when I could have picked out a sync for myself. I just thought it was crazy to see her use a 15# so well that it made me question the equipment she's using and the affect on her game.

Perrin
07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
I've been working on this for years with my wife.

When we started bowling she threw a 12lb ball(135 avg). years passed and I convinced her to go up to 13lb (145).

More years pass and we left the sport for ~7 years. When we come back I tell her I will buy her a new ball but only if she goes to 14lb(150)

We join a have a ball league and both myself and the proshop try to convince her to go to 15lb equipment but no go.

The reason we tried is she wings the 14lb ball at about 20 mph and only 100-150 revs ball doesn't stand much chance to move.

The summer league has gotten her to slow down a little though and changing her grips (from the flat lift grips to normal ovals) has gotten her more revs.

she is now 18-19mph and on her good shots she throws 200-250 revs. ball has a nice arc and a little jump on the backend (amazed she doesn't get more movement out of it since she is now throwing a DV8 HRR

Long story short.... A heavier ball can actually help with control and speed issues but you have to be careful not to go too far or too fast.... and if they don't want to change they won't. I follow the encourage not force approach (Although I did seriously consider ordering the HRR in 15 lb and just telling her it was 14 :D)

Hampe
07-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Yea, a lot of beginners complain that the ball is too heavy because they are trying to whip it down the lane (my wife for example :D). You just have to get them to understand that they don't have to "swing" the ball, it will swing itself just from the weight. All they have to do is hold it and release it at the right time. Not all of them get it right away though.....

billf
07-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Talk to the pro shop. See if you can trade it for a 14 lbs and not tell your wife. Then hide her other balls for a few weeks. Her speed will be lower but her accuracy and pin action will be way up.

GoodGravy
07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
It does amaze me to watch a grown adult grab 8 lb. ball (house 8lbers are all pink so they stick out ) and think they have to throw it down the lane as fast as they can. I am constantly telling the new folks I bowl with to slow it down. One of the tests our local pro showed me was to have somebody hold the ball in the palm of there hand and have their arm bent at a 90degree angle. If you can hold that position for 10 seconds without showing muscle fatigue (arm/hand start shaking or lower the ball), then it is the right weight.

My 8 year old is really close to going to a 10lber....so unless there is a significant physical issue, or the bowler is elderly, I say stack on the weight!!!

DLP
07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
From a "newbie" girls perspective - if I don't think I can handle a heavier ball than I'm not going to do it.

I just had the pro check to see if I should move up and it is still on the fence for going up to a ball that is one pound heavier. I learned the lesson the hard way of starting with a ball that was two pounds heavier than my current weight and had to buy stock in an over the counter pain reliever company. It was a mistake I only repeated twice!

classygranny
07-17-2013, 10:16 AM
The weight is also relative to how well the ball fits the bowler as well.

When I was deciding whether to stay at 14# or go back to 15#, my coach had me hold the ball down beside me and relax my arm and wrist, then slightly cup the wrist and hold there...you should be able to hold at least 10 seconds without difficulty. We also considered going with a heavier 14# (like 14 1/2) - so don't forget that if you have a good pro shop, there is the option to be in between the full pound weights.

I stayed with the 14#, but as we age, we tend to lose some strength, stamina, and I don't work out like I use to...so sometimes lifestyle plays a part as well. When I bowl more than 3 or more times a week, I probably wish I had the heavier 15#, but if I only bowl once or twice I am glad I stayed with the 14#.

Personally, I encourage anyone of any stature, good health, and a desire to bowl well to at least start with no less that 14#. Also, wrist and arm exercises will help get used to the weight as well - if someone wants to apply themselves.

MICHAEL
07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I am thinking about going to a 16lber! all of my balls are 15's, and I chose this weight because when I started bowing I was going through some painful issures with Ra and Lupus. But I have cured myself, and can honestly say that each of my last 3 years have been better, and better culminating with my 300 a few months back! I work out and do wrist curls with 50lb dumb bells. I think it would be interesting to see how the reaction of a new bowling ball would be with the heaviest ball. Question: Do they have degree's of 16 pound balls,,,??? For instance 16.1,,,16.9?? Would be interesting to see the (carry aspect with my style of bowling), I know the pro's say, little difference in their opinion! If so whey make a 16??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

J Anderson
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I am thinking about going to a 16lber! all of my balls are 15's, and I chose this weight because when I started bowing I was going through some painful issures with Ra and Lupus. But I have cured myself, and can honestly say that each of my last 3 years have been better, and better culminating with my 300 a few months back! I work out and do wrist curls with 50lb dumb bells. I think it would be interesting to see how the reaction of a new bowling ball would be with the heaviest ball. Question: Do they have degree's of 16 pound balls,,,??? For instance 16.1,,,16.9?? Would be interesting to see the (carry aspect with my style of bowling), I know the pro's say, little difference in their opinion! If so whey make a 16??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that new-in-box 16s are a few ounces heavier than 16# so that after the finger holes are drilled the balls weigh in at a legal 16# even.

The reason so many pros have gone to lighter balls is that with their higher rev rates, throwing a 16# ball with a modern core and coverstock would result in many shots where the ball doesn't deflect enough. Its sort of like my friend's 1980 something Ford Ranger with a 351c.i.d. V8 squeezed under the hood. Looks like a sleeper except for the wheels and tires, sounds really cool, but there's just no way to get all that torque and horsepower to the street without driving like the proverbial little old lady, or leaving a trail of rubber everywhere you drive.

MICHAEL
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I have on occasion brought my bowling arm across my body and thought it might help prevent this? The ball feels so light, and yet I would like to experiment with going even lighter, say a 14lber, and also go up to 16lb!
I will do this in the near future and post the result, as to my observations, drilling two of the same brand same model, with same drilling lay out!

Any bowling suppliers want to supply me ONE OF EACH FOR THIS experiment? LOL

classygranny
07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I think that new-in-box 16s are a few ounces heavier than 16# so that after the finger holes are drilled the balls weigh in at a legal 16# even.

The reason so many pros have gone to lighter balls is that with their higher rev rates, throwing a 16# ball with a modern core and coverstock would result in many shots where the ball doesn't deflect enough. Its sort of like my friend's 1980 something Ford Ranger with a 351c.i.d. V8 squeezed under the hood. Looks like a sleeper except for the wheels and tires, sounds really cool, but there's just no way to get all that torque and horsepower to the street without driving like the proverbial little old lady, or leaving a trail of rubber everywhere you drive.

John's right. Pros seem to indicate that if you tend to leave a lot of 9 pins (8 pin for leftys) then going up a pound (if you have good revs) could potentially leave more; and going lighter could carry more.

billf
07-17-2013, 05:21 PM
The ball return belts are only designed to handle 6-16 pounds, hence the weight they are made in. In the older days the weight was needed to create more carry. The rule of thumb was 10 pins average per game. Technology has allowed that to drop some.
In the '80s 16 pounds were the most balls sold. In the last decade that has shifted to 15 pounds with 16 being the least sold.

MICHAEL
07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
ok granny,,, and John! I think you for your advise! I like to do things hands on, so in the near future, I will go both directions with the SAME BALL STYLE AND BRAND! iT WILL BE FUN TO TRY .... nO SPONSER'S YET? All I need is a 14/16, and I will do the rest including drilling. Storm???? are you out there, Who wants to help me do this experiment! I think I can get help doing a vedio of the difference, and then post it! Bill,,, You have connections!! send two this way, and lets see how it effects my style of bowling! I know you haven't seen me lately, but Jason witnessed my new style last night... He thought I was going to throw another 300.... close started out 7 strikes two solid in pockets hits, with 10 pin, then 7 pin... but did wind up with a 247..... The key here is TWO of the same ball, drilled the same way, for Iceman! Could my bowling be taken to another level with a LIGHTER ball,,,, or Heavier one!! That is the Question, wither it is nobler to sling the lighter ball of ruin, bane, and destruction.... or Unleashing the heavy, hefty, massive ponderous, weighty ball of total ruination and havoc!!

Tampabaybob
07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
The weight is also relative to how well the ball fits the bowler as well.

When I was deciding whether to stay at 14# or go back to 15#, my coach had me hold the ball down beside me and relax my arm and wrist, then slightly cup the wrist and hold there...you should be able to hold at least 10 seconds without difficulty. We also considered going with a heavier 14# (like 14 1/2) - so don't forget that if you have a good pro shop, there is the option to be in between the full pound weights.

I stayed with the 14#, but as we age, we tend to lose some strength, stamina, and I don't work out like I use to...so sometimes lifestyle plays a part as well. When I bowl more than 3 or more times a week, I probably wish I had the heavier 15#, but if I only bowl once or twice I am glad I stayed with the 14#.

Personally, I encourage anyone of any stature, good health, and a desire to bowl well to at least start with no less that 14#. Also, wrist and arm exercises will help get used to the weight as well - if someone wants to apply themselves.

I also have gone down in weight the last few years to a 14# ball (+ about 1/2 #) Always threw 16's then went down to 15's. Still have two light 15's that I use once in a while, but age has caught up with me. Won't be going any lower and the 14's will react as good as the heavier ones. Just have to be careful not to throw it too hard.

The PRO's have found the heavier balls drive too much and 9 pin leaves are a problem. It's just that the heavier ones won't deflect enough and go right past the 9 pin.

I have on occasion brought my bowling arm across my body and thought it might help prevent this? The ball feels so light, and yet I would like to experiment with going even lighter, say a 14lber, and also go up to 16lb!
I will do this in the near future and post the result, as to my observations, drilling two of the same brand same model, with same drilling lay out!

Any bowling suppliers want to supply me ONE OF EACH FOR THIS experiment? LOL

Michael, if you're finding that you're pulling the ball a lot, make sure you're not lifting your eyes off of the target a split second before you release the ball. Remember, your hand will ALWAYS follow your eyes and when you look up from your target you'll usually be looking left (if you're right handed). That's THE MAIN CAUSE of people pulling the ball across the front of their body !

TCJ
07-17-2013, 08:11 PM
I've noticed that many house balls have very large fingers holes for the weight of the ball. People who can handle heavier weights but have smaller hands are forced to use the lightweight balls if they want something that comes close to fitting. Jumping up to the proper weight doesn't work because then they have to strain to hang onto something that has finger holes that are much too big for them. Bowling alleys really should take that into account more when drilling house balls. Maybe it's different in other places, but that's my experience where I've been. The one exception was an old house that's been closed some years. Quite a few of their house balls were actually old ones that people had donated, so they were custom drilled with fingertip grips and so on.

Jaescrub
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Iceman I hope some one sends you some ;) and thanks every one I guess this ended up being a good post I got a lot of good info some good some just funny ha ha ha. Wanted to say thanks before this thing got to many pages

MICHAEL
07-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Iceman I hope some one sends you some ;) and thanks every one I guess this ended up being a good post I got a lot of good info some good some just funny ha ha ha. Wanted to say thanks before this thing got to many pages

It is a good post!! Thanks for posting! I hope, your hope happens, if not, it never hurts to have hope! Hope you post more like this one! I can hope right?? lOL

Jaescrub
07-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Ha ha ha yep I feel like I got the Kc Mo. Directions just now. Ok you want to make a left just before you make a right and left should be on your right if your lefts right right?

Hampe
07-18-2013, 05:09 AM
The one exception was an old house that's been closed some years. Quite a few of their house balls were actually old ones that people had donated, so they were custom drilled with fingertip grips and so on.One of the houses here does that, and I think it's really cool. It's great for those spontaneous bowling nights with some friends when you don't have your balls with you.

Tampabaybob
07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
I've noticed that many house balls have very large fingers holes for the weight of the ball. People who can handle heavier weights but have smaller hands are forced to use the lightweight balls if they want something that comes close to fitting. Jumping up to the proper weight doesn't work because then they have to strain to hang onto something that has finger holes that are much too big for them. Bowling alleys really should take that into account more when drilling house balls. Maybe it's different in other places, but that's my experience where I've been. The one exception was an old house that's been closed some years. Quite a few of their house balls were actually old ones that people had donated, so they were custom drilled with fingertip grips and so on.

TC....Unfortunately, you have to remember that house balls are drilled to fit 50 people and there's no way to standardize them. It's always been a problem and will continue to be. Many houses do exactly what you're talking about with the donated balls. In fact, I've seen guy's throwing them that just happened to have the ball "follow them home" and they used them all the time. It's one reason that we encourage people to get their own equipment ASAP if they think they'll continue in the sport.