PDA

View Full Version : Ball Not Hooking What could It Be?

WolfGirl1980
07-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Hello Everyone again, yesterday was my little cousins birthday party at the bowling alley and I practiced on a lane by myself, I bowled lousy, reason being, my ball didn't hook like it normally does as long as I don't turn my hand. Well let me start by telling you I hadn't cleaned my ball it since the beginning of practice this past Monday or the beginning of League Tuesday Night but I am pretty sure it was the beginning of practice Monday evening, now should I take it to the pro shop and and have the pro resurface it or regular cleaning like I did today cause today I wen practicing and bowled awful and afterwards I had the pro clean my ball now should I have it sanded also at a total of 8 bucks or clean and polish but I would think it would just need cleaning or resurfacing wouldn't it or clean and sanding right? What do you think ? Is it possible this whole thing could be due to me rotating my hand from palm being behind the ball and then my palm completely in front of the ball and then flips back around and then ends up on top except I am not ending up on top anymore I am ending up like I am shaking someone's hand like I am suppose to end up but the problem is the back swing and I wrap it around my back if the other is not enough how to stop those bad habits I have no idea I need solutions any ideas on that also? My Coach thinks a 14 pound ball will get me out of the habit. What do you guys think oh sorry and Girls?

Also about cleaners my coach just told me Alcohol is OK to use so I have no idea why Tim the pro shop guy said it would dull the ball and make it not hook and it needed polish to grab the lanes and stuff I just found out from my coach what he told me was total hogwash in a matter of speaking and polish makes the ball not hook or makes it hook less.

DLP
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
This is the cleaning schedule I'm using (I printed this out and tossed it in my bowling bag): http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/Ball_Maintenance_Matrix_4up.pdf

I'm probably the last person that can give advice on actual technique for a hook but there are other contributing factors:
Ball really does need cleaning, lane oil conditions, or (unfortunately) it is just could be one of those days!

Perrin
07-16-2013, 10:03 AM
It sounds like you have a pretty involved swing. With that many moving parts there is always a chance for something to go wrong.

You could try a no step or one step drill to focus on your release a little more and try to isolate what isn't working the same as it did before.

GeoLes
07-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I would look for a coach who can observe and help you. Until then, there is always......

http://www.bowlingknowledge.info/

Just click on "Physical Game" to find tips and drills. I have found the helpful. I hope you do too.

WolfGirl1980
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I got a coach and we both trying to figure out what would fix the turning of the hand in my swing she thinks a 14 pound ball might break the habit because one time I used a 14 pound straight alley ball just to see if I could handle a 14 pound ball I tried a 13 and that was too light then I tried a 14 and it seem just right well it was a little light but the core will add some weight so it will be just right with the core in it and it was hard to control until I stopped turning my hand I followed through so she thinks a 14 pound ball would get me out of the habit of turning my hand in my back swing. On the Cleaning Schedule is the calender per month and the yellow per week help me understand the cleaning schedule layout give me a legend to go by remember I am mentally challenged and I am not using it as an excuse I am just reminding you so you know I need special instruction on certain things for me to understand things I need things into laymens terms and specific detail so can make it easy for me to understand. Thanks all!!

Perrin
07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
The chart is by the number of games bowled.

so every 10 games (about 3 league sessions including warmups if you only use 1 ball) you would need a mild resurface sand/polish (sand or polish depends on the ball you have. For example the venom Toxin would be polish)

Then every third time(30 games) you do this would be a scuff followed by a Polish. Then for the 6th one(60 games) would be a full resurface. Then you just start over at 1 again.

WolfGirl1980
07-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Right now I got the Ebonite Cyclone I will have the Venom Toxin November 19th.

Perrin
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Cyclone is also Polished.

WolfGirl1980
07-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Looks like I answered my own question by the way things went tonight My Ball just needed cleaning but I did have them both cleaned just to make sure before the night started tonight my ball hooked fine well my reactive resin ball did the plastic ball went straight like it was suppose to but anyway here are my scores for the night 160-156-204=520.

MICHAEL
07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
"Ball Stopped Hooking?"

Maybe it got Religion!!! Saved,,, and now going down the straight PATH!! When that happens, nothing you can do!!

classygranny
07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
"Ball Stopped Hooking?"

Maybe it got Religion!!! Saved,,, and now going down the straight PATH!! When that happens, nothing you can do!!

Yes, there is...Buy a new bowling ball!

WolfGirl1980
07-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Looks like I answered my own question by the way things went tonight My Ball just needed cleaning but I did have them both cleaned just to make sure before the night started tonight my ball hooked fine well my reactive resin ball did the plastic ball went straight like it was suppose to but anyway here are my scores for the night 160-156-204=520.

As I said here my ball is hooking again and I am going to buy a new bowling for my birthday but My Ebonite Cyclone Ball is hooking again it just needed to be cleaned I took it to be cleaned and then it started hooking again cause it hadn't been cleaned in about a week or two but it hadn't been cleaned in days, I missed two to three bowling sessions cause I was out of cleaner and I believed that crap the pro shop guy told me that needed polish to grip the lanes to make the ball hook that alcohol would dull the ball and make the ball not hook and my coach just told me alcohol would work as a cleaner and polish would make the ball hook less. I don't know how to put revs on the ball yet I just learned how to put rotation on the ball. So that's where I stand right now. At least my Ebonite Cyclone Ball is hooking again and my Columbia White Dot Ball is going straight like its suppose to as well, so everything is doing what it is suppose to do right now. Thanks for all the Feedback guys and girls!!