PDA

View Full Version : Bowling against a Ghost team

Gunz1911
07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
So last week in league was pretty bad score wise, But really fun night altogether.

The team we were to go up against is post-bowling, My first game was decent, had a rough start but closed out the 10th with XXX, so managed to pull out a 184. the other two games.... not so much.

My team mates and I started to just joke around and have fun, rather than bowl well. Started the night off with a large Blue moon and with no team to bowl against it felt more like a time out with friends than really competitive. Have to say I really don't like playing against a team thats not there. I know it shouldn't matter, in the end bowl well wether or not your against a team. I just could not get in the right mind-set to do well. Missed a whole bunch of spares that I could and should have picked up. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Oh and the 2nd and 3rd game was 145 and 134, So pretty bad.

DLP
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Haven't had to bowl against a whole ghost team yet but did have some oddities this past week. Since we're only into league one week, and we were 1/2 a team (with two spots vacant) things got shuffled around, so we ended up with a new couple who had never been in leagues before. The guy got there right at the start of the game, so didn't have any practice, and the girl missed the first game entirely and then had to catch up two frames.

On the team we were facing, the couple they were paired with had NO idea that their team mates pre-bowled and it really impacted their game. She had been the ladies high scratch scorer from the week before, but didn't average higher than me this week(which is really saying something) :P
Great couple, not very talkative.

So for whatever reason, I'd say ya' it happens! It hasn't impacted my husband or I, but I've witnessed it.

bowlerRob2
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Zoinks --That would be the most difficult ghost situation, since you have nothing to shoot against. You have no idea of what they might shoot. On the other hand, when they bowl, they will be aware of your scores and will have a target to hit. I was in the reverse situation a few weeks ago, where the team we were bowling had "pre-bowled" so we could see their scores. We did end up losing one game but at least we were well aware of what we needed to hit each game.

Perrin
07-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised they let you see the pre-bowl scores. Leagues I have been in don't allow that.

Whenever I have had to bowl a 'ghost' team I treat it like bowling the bye. keep the timing normal as much as I can and try to make the best shots I can.

I'm not for the most part a really competitive person so haveing someone to actually bowl against doesn't do alot for me.

On the other hand Friendly competition where the opponent congratulates you for good shots and socializes between frames and whatnot can do wonders. One of the best head to head matches I've ever had was that way.. He shot 279 and I shot 264 (I won the point due to handicap)

Hampe
07-16-2013, 10:14 AM
The league I'm in doesn't allow for pre- or post-bowling, but there are two "computer" teams (to keep the divisions even). The 2 computer teams have a pre-set score (140 avg for the team in the D division, and 180 avg. for the team in the A division). It seems like a lot of teams played their worst games this season against the computer. I think a lot of people get nervous when they have to bowl a certain score, and I also noticed that some teams seemed to rush too much, since there were only 4 players on a pair. It is definitely a different experience than having the other team next to you bowling at the same time.

GeoLes
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
You guys should have all pre-bowled. Then you can rename it "Ships in the night competition". :)

e-tank
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The league I'm in doesn't allow for pre- or post-bowling, but there are two "computer" teams (to keep the divisions even). The 2 computer teams have a pre-set score (140 avg for the team in the D division, and 180 avg. for the team in the A division). It seems like a lot of teams played their worst games this season against the computer. I think a lot of people get nervous when they have to bowl a certain score, and I also noticed that some teams seemed to rush too much, since there were only 4 players on a pair. It is definitely a different experience than having the other team next to you bowling at the same time.

Came in to say this. My team always gets our stones handed to us by the vacant team

bowlerRob2
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm surprised they let you see the pre-bowl scores. Leagues I have been in don't allow that.

I have a feeling we weren't supposed to see them but I never said anything about it (and no one else did). My winter league did not allow that either so either someone screwed up or else this is a loosely run league.

DLP
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
The two that pre-bowled for our opposing team this week - their scores were displayed as the frames ticked. So while we didn't see their scores upfront, the end game and screen had all of their scores, hdcps, and totals displayed and averaged into their team mates.

got_a_300
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I would rather bowl against the best team in the world
than to bowl against a team that is not there. It seems
we loose at least 75 - 85% of the time to the blind/ghost
team as I just can not get into the right mind frame when
bowling like that.

I guess that I thrive on the competition of having the other
team there as it really makes me concentrate more on what
I'm doing and try to bowl my very best on every ball.

Like others have said without the other team there it is more
like having a fun night or just like having a practice session
with my team mates.

JPbowl
07-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I was looking through the award sheet and noticed problems with 'bowling unopposed.'
on the usbc Q&A it only addresses pre/post bowling. If you do you are not eligible for a award.
If the team your bowling against doesnt show, or your bowling the blind it seems you may not be able to receive awards. Its not really clear

J Anderson
07-16-2013, 09:58 PM
I was looking through the award sheet and noticed problems with 'bowling unopposed.'
on the usbc Q&A it only addresses pre/post bowling. If you do you are not eligible for a award.
If the team your bowling against doesnt show, or your bowling the blind it seems you may not be able to receive awards. Its not really clear

I think the ineligibility applies only to the team that is pre or post bowling. The assumption is made that if you're bowling unopposed on your regular night with other teams from the league on either side of you, you won't be tempted to cheat.

As much as my wife says that I'm more interested in beating my teammates than the other team, I hate bowling against blind scores, ghost teams and teams that are pre or post bowling. It took me twenty years to figure out that I could put my team's averages in as blind scores for the other team, and since then we've done much better against ghost teams, but its still not as much fun as bowling against real people.

bowl1820
07-16-2013, 10:13 PM

The rule your referring to is about "Pre and Post" bowling.

If you are bowling during regular league time, your not "Pre or Post" bowling. So the rule doesn't apply then and you are eligible to win awards.

got_a_300
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
The rule your referring to is about "Pre and Post" bowling.

If you are bowling during regular league time, your not "Pre or Post" bowling. So the rule doesn't apply then and you are eligible to win awards.

bowl is absolutely correct we had a bowler bowl a 300 when his
team was bowling against a team that had pre-bowled and he did
receive his 300 ring.