PDA

View Full Version : Is Bowlmore Fing up AMF.

Jaescrub
07-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Is Bowlmore Fing with your local AMF lanes yet? Here in Tulsa they are. Changing hrs that have dropped two Leagues. Not taking care of lanes and ie approach and oil. I know this might been soon, but this amf lanes we biwl at have been ran great for many many years. but any AMF bowlers that feel like this is happening to them we need to speak up now and head this off. Let your voices be heard.

J Anderson
07-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Is Bowlmore Fing with your local AMF lanes yet? Here in Tulsa they are. Changing hrs that have dropped two Leagues. Not taking care of lanes and ie approach and oil. I know this might been soon, but this amf lanes we biwl at have been ran great for many many years. but any AMF bowlers that feel like this is happening to them we need to speak up now and head this off. Let your voices be heard.

Not familiar with Bowlmore. Are they a new brand for AMF, or a separate company that bought some of the centers that AMF wanted to get rid of?

Here in Fairfield county AMF already has a bad reputation, Although I have to admit conditions were pretty good at last weeks doubles tournament.

Jaescrub
07-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes AMF sold off all of the centers to bowl more. They don't do any leagues and are just focused on "fun" and extreme Bowling. :/

DLP
07-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Ugh! I am doing the Summer Pass deal at the local AMF here. More of a hike to get to but cheaper bowling until September.
Haven't seen a lot of changes yet, in fact they just put their league documentation out and they are packed solid for the fall leagues!

I never liked the AMF though, it feels weird compared to the Brunswick I bowl at. To bright? To many lights? Bright colors? All the times I've been there and I've never seen them oiling the lanes. Compared to when I bowl at the local Brunswick (which I call home). We're on a first name basis with the lane oil guy :)

Judy clemons
07-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Need to take a POLL...

With out AMF:

A - LL
M - Y
F - UN

will be gone!!!

I enjoy league bowling, for socializing, competition and atmosphere.

I rather doubt that Bowlmor will be able to meet the same criteria and I can not see this little old granny
out in the midst of a party type atmosphere where she can not hear her self think much less concentrate
on where the ball got released to know if it went over the intended target or in the gutter of the next lane.
how bout it pin pals can we form a poll or survey to see where everybody stands on this matter???

JPbowl
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
No bowlmore at any NY amf's that i know of

classygranny
07-20-2013, 12:53 PM
It seems weird to me that they wouldn't continue to promote the league bowling as AMF in the areas around here tout themselves as being the PBA practice centers and PBA experience centers.

Sometimes I wish there was an AMF closer to me as they seem to take care of their lanes better than Brunswick, yet I don't score as high in their centers as the carry seems more difficult. I understand some of the AMFs around here have just finished a major remodeling. Maybe I will have to stop in and check one of the new ones out some day soon.

Jaescrub
07-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Well no big changes in that we just got our Fall league paper work yeasterday. But in the time changes two early morning leagues had to just stop or be forced to show up 2 hrs later. They also don't open fri till about noon now. Then the last two weeks there has been no lane prep or oil 100% dry I'm hooking the ball great now ha ha ha. But it's not helping the hole of players out last night there was something on the approach about 6" to a foot in front of the fail line and my teammate slipped and cut his knee open. It has never been like this at my lanes.

Perrin
07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
we just go notification here that my daughters Saturday morning youth league won't be able to start till 12(instead of 10) because Corporate is changing the hours and that is the earliest the center will be open.

Judy clemons
07-22-2013, 12:27 PM
yep, showplace lanes Euless AMF does not open until 12:oo pm now either, I PROTEST
I don't like it but I can not seem to do anything about it, right along with that happy face!

GeoLes
07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
More lanes are taking advantage of the broader entertainment market by becomeing a jack of all trades. There are lanes, like National Lane, who who not only bowl, but have a number of pool tables, lazer tag, ball room and huge video parlor; a kind of Chucky cheeze with bowling, if you will. They will make their overhead plus.

As I understand it, Bowlmore is just another one of those "Bowling Lounges"; the adult verson of the entertainment center. There are others as well. Lucky Strike, who has centers in New York and LA. It is part of the growing trend of "entertainment centers" you find around the country. I recall visitng one such lane called "300 Club" in New York on the Chelsea Pier. A very nice place but the lanes were bone dry Everything broke way left, even a flat ball with the slightest hint of spin. Very nice, but not designed for bowlers.

http://www.bowlmor.com/

Personally, I don't think it will ruin bowling at all. There will always be a place for the hardcore bolwer. This is just targetted at different markets. If you want to throw a ball down the lane and knock down some pins while having fancy coctails, fancy popcorn shrimp, and quacomole; go to a bowling loung. Believe me, you will pay for it. If you want to hone your bowling skills, learn to bowl better, master sport patterns, emulate the pros; The traditional lanes are for you.

Ecomonics may drive many lanes to abandon tradition in pursuit of profit, but I believe tradional bowing centers will still be available. Maybe not as many as we would like, but they will be there nontheless.

HughScot
07-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Here is a link to the news about the "merger" between Bowlmor and AMF. http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/companies/amf-bowling-has-completed-its-merger-with-bowlmor/article_918b5eab-57ed-5697-a832-9830e1c7a8bd.html

Judy clemons
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
thank you for that link HughScot it sounds like AMF is going to get to hang around and i guess that was what i was wondering about the most for now.

HughScot
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Hang around is the operative phrase. They filed for chapter 11 and the answer was to get with Bowlmor which means Bowlmor will be running things from now on. The AMF center where I bowl most often is a total dump, nothing has been updated since the mid '80s. We've had four "managers" in three years. The cost to upgrade is prohibitive so who knows what will happen to it.

GeoLes
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
This is sounding more like Walmart for bowling.

JPbowl
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Well Bowlmore has started F'n up NY.
Our leagues are not effected but their greediness now has them charging $20 a pitcher for sam.
Which has awoken my inner cheapness. After 4 years of spending 100+ month on alcohol there i will now be spending 0.
It only costs me $3 to make and bring my own "soda"

Good job Bowlmore.

MICHAEL
09-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Prices on Food, beer ect.. going up at our amf!! Hours of being open, cut back also... several days a week they don't open till 4pm!!! Said they analyzed the times people were coming in to bowl, vs, expense to operate!
Well It might be time to look for an independent bowling alley! Who knows the real reason for AMF's problems, (could it be like in may corporations, they are too TOP HEAVY in management, and salaries?)
I don't like the direction they are going, and they may FIND WHAT WORK's in NEW YORK, does not here in Kansas City! We take our bowling serious, (but fun), and want our lanes oiled, and predictable!!
We also like to the HOURS THE WAY THEY WERE!!! Time will tell, if this new, (NO OIL, FUN, GAMES, FOOD, and high liquor prices company works out!

Perrin
09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
WOW. we pay $8 a pitcher to Sam here.

Aslan
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Bowlmor cost AMF my business today. I had a free afternoon and wanted to get a little practice on synthetics before my league tomorrow. But...they now don't open till 4PM...so I sat home and polished my ball (not a euphemism...although that too) instead of going bowling. Thanks Bowlmor. :mad:

Aslan
11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
What is your deal dude!!

Exactly what I said...I couldn't believe the manager was taking a hard line on refunding them all a game and shoe rentals when they had been waiting around for like 25 minutes for a lane to get fixed after being moved from a lane that was broken. Just seemed like a no brainer to give them their money back and maybe even give them some kinda voucher or something to come back and bowl for free at a later date.

e-tank
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Exactly what I said...I couldn't believe the manager was taking a hard line on refunding them all a game and shoe rentals when they had been waiting around for like 25 minutes for a lane to get fixed after being moved from a lane that was broken. Just seemed like a no brainer to give them their money back and maybe even give them some kinda voucher or something to come back and bowl for free at a later date.

i loled

J Anderson
11-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Rumor has it that in my old home town, Bowlmor is going to rip out 20% of the lanes to put in another bar, and that after 9p.m. no one under 21 will be allowed in the center and there will be "adult" entertainment on the TV screens.

Bowlmor; it could only be a less appropriate name if there were an E at the end!

CeKnauss
11-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I was finishing up a summer sport league at our local AMF when the merger took place. They removed all my favorite food from the menu, the prices went up, the hours changed, and the employees publicly disliked the changes. I haven't bowled at an AMF since the changes took place. There are quite a number of other more inviting (and independent) centers where I live, so that's where I place my support (and money).

Aslan
11-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Rumor has it that in my old home town, Bowlmor is going to rip out 20% of the lanes to put in another bar, and that after 9p.m. no one under 21 will be allowed in the center

Yeah...just horrible and pathetic. I have a feeling the AMF I go to will just rip out the broken down lanes rather than fix em and put in some kinda preppie dance stage that looks like a scene from an Austin Powers movie. Although...I kinda support the nobody allowed in after 9PM who isn't 21. Too many hot young women tends to distract my bowling game...which is barely good enough to suffer any distractions.

and there will be "adult" entertainment on the TV screens.

Wait...what? Well, why or well...I mean...where is this?? Because I may need to just check it out in person...ya know, so not to just pass judgement without giving it a chance. :o

J Anderson
11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Wait...what? Well, why or well...I mean...where is this?? Because I may need to just check it out in person...ya know, so not to just pass judgement without giving it a chance. :o

Don't get too excited there Aslan, I heard the rumor from my league secretary who heard it from the manager at the independent alley where we bowl.

Also it's on the opposite side of the country, Norwalk, CT.