PDA

View Full Version : Can a low RG ball be used by a bowler with a ball speed of 14 to 15mph successfully?

Hammer
07-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I was reading an issue of Bowling This Month and in it they showed ball speeds of slow to fast and said what RG ball should be used by these bowlers. For high speed bowlers they said a ball with a low RG and a lot of surface should be used to make the ball work for the faster speed. Bowlers like me who have a speed of 14 to 15 mph should use a high RG ball with less surface like 3000 to 4000 abralon so the ball can go longer because of the slow speed. Slow speed bowlers with a low RG ball would be fighting the ball to get it far enough down the lane before it hooked to the pocket.
So I can see where a bowler could get the wrong RG ball for themselves and be disappointed by the balls reaction and just be fighting the ball all of the time. So it seems you have to match your ball speed to the right RG and surface the ball has. Plus you have to take into consideration if you are bowling on dry, medium, oily or sport conditions. Plus getting the right layout for yourself like weak or strong. There is more to this ball stuff then you think. So do your homework before buying. You have to know if you have a good release also. Does your wrist break back before the release or do you turn the ball early? If you can't do the release right it won't matter what ball you buy, it just won't work like it is supposed to.

HughScot
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
It's just a conspiracy to get you to buy ten balls. Just kidding.

billf
07-25-2013, 11:42 PM
I haven't read the article. Does it say if that speed was at the release? That's the most accurate however most centers take the reading down lane. On average the release speed is 3 mph faster putting you at 17-18 mph.

Stormed1
07-26-2013, 12:51 AM
In my case my ball speed is 13-14 at the pins. I prefer low rg balls as they promote as they produce a better midlane read and a smoother transition at the break point. Higher speed bowlers need lower rg balls, smaller drilling angles and stronger pin positions to make the ball slow down quicker so it can get into its hook phase at he proper time.For slower speed bowlers weaker pin posiyions abd larger drill angles can drlay this to help get the ball down lane before it slows down

Gunny
07-26-2013, 08:13 AM
If your following numbers, than yes. A High Rg will give you more length than a Low Rg. But if you take into consideration the differential and the MB differential, along with your speed, revs, tilt, and rotation, you can have either ball do the opposite with the right layouts. Smaller Val angles in the 15 to 20 degrees and larger drill angles in the 80+ will help you get the ball to push down to the lane. So essentially, yes, a Low Rg ball can be used, and has been used by lower speed bowlers.

Stormed1 has it right, most Low Rg balls will promote a smoother transition. With drilling layouts based off a bowlers pap, anything is possible as long as the driller knows what he's doing.

Hammer
07-27-2013, 11:33 AM
I guess you would have to consider if the ball is symetrical or asymetrical also and what speed you throw the ball.

bowlerRob2
07-28-2013, 11:11 AM
For the benefit of us "technologically challenged" bowlers.. what exactly is meant by "high RG" and "low RG". I mean what numbers would be low versus high. I go to sites that sell balls and I can see the RG numbers but I can't seem to find what constitutes "low" and what constitutes "high".

billf
07-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I guess you would have to consider if the ball is symetrical or asymetrical also and what speed you throw the ball.

Once a ball is drilled they all basically become asymmetrical at that point. Depth of the holes will also affect the RG and int diff numbers.

stumblintowards100
08-07-2013, 07:38 AM
It's just a conspiracy to get you to buy ten balls. Just kidding.

LOL, well it works!! I've bought 7 balls in the past 12 months, and finally came to the conclusion that I can't buy good scores, lol.

dnhoffman
08-07-2013, 08:09 AM
You can buy the lowest RG ball out there and it won't do much depending on you drill it and your release. Something in a hybrid might be better?

Hampe
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
LOL, well it works!! I've bought 7 balls in the past 12 months, and finally came to the conclusion that I can't buy good scores, lol.
Haha.....my dad finally started to realise this after buying his 4th or 5th heavy oil ball :D.

I keep telling him it's not about the ball, it's about how you roll it.

Stormed1
08-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Also keep in mind if you are throwing a heavy oil ball on not enough oil it will burn up too soon and die rather than hook

noeymc
08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
You can buy the lowest RG ball out there and it won't do much depending on you drill it and your release. Something in a hybrid might be better?

wrong drilling is like 10% of the balls reaction the coverstock is what really matters

dnhoffman
08-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Wrong? Not wrong.

Your release is what really matters, actually.

The coverstock is the majority of the ball reaction as far as the equipment goes, but saying the drilling doesn't matter is just ridiculous.

JPbowl
08-09-2013, 02:41 PM
wrong drilling is like 10% of the balls reaction the coverstock is what really matters

maybe you thinking of the core, drilling has a lot to do with it

MICHAEL
08-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Haha.....my dad finally started to realise this after buying his 4th or 5th heavy oil ball :D.

I keep telling him it's not about the ball, it's about how you roll it.

AMEN to that Hampe!!! And of course KNOWLEDGE, and knowing how to make adjustments is KEY!!

CeKnauss
08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
All balls have a high RG and low RG axis (typically the pin and mass bias, respectively). Yes, the cover accounts for appx. 70% of the ball's reaction, but how you position the core against your PAP will help the coverstock grip in different parts of the lane. Typically, using a low RG layout will slow the ball down faster and the coverstock will grip sooner, whereas a high RG layout will help the ball skid down the lane and react more off the friction. All coverstocks have a tendency to want to do certain things, but you still have to consider all the various oils/conditioners, temps, humidity, bowler's release (high/low rev, side/forward roll, etc).