PDA

View Full Version : Marking Boards on the Approach?

thomasdgeorge
07-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I bowled in a sweeper last night and one bowler was marking where to stand on the approach in pencil with an "X."

Is this an accepted action? If so, I think I should be keeping a pencil in my bag for this very purpose.

What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, it could give someone an unfair advantage if he marks the lane because without a mark he may make a mistake on where to stand.

J Anderson
07-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I bowled in a sweeper last night and one bowler was marking where to stand on the approach in pencil with an "X."

Is this an accepted action? If so, I think I should be keeping a pencil in my bag for this very purpose.

What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, it could give someone an unfair advantage if he marks the lane because without a mark he may make a mistake on where to stand.

I've heard that pros do this when they find that the dots on the approach are on the wrong board on a given lane. Of course PBA rules are slightly different from USBC rules so it might not be okay for the rest of us. And the bowling center manager could claim that you're defacing the approach and ask you to stop.

As far as being unfair, I don't see anything wrong with it since bowling alleys have plenty of pencils and any one else would be free to make their own mark.

dnhoffman
07-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Why..exactly? I just remember " 24-12" or 20.5-10"

thomasdgeorge
07-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks for your replies. Anyone else have any info on this subject?

classygranny
07-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Hope that pencil has an eraser! A good eraser! What about lane transition and adjustments. Last Friday, I would have had so many pencil x's I wouldn't have known which one was the correct one.

billf
07-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Fair? Yes so grab a pencil if you're so inclined.
Legal? I can't find anything saying either way.

Greenday
07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Rule #12 for USBC rules discusses defacing lanes. "The application of any foreign substance on any part of the approach that detracts from the possibility of other players having normal conditions is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, talcum powder, pumice and resin on shoes, and/or soft rubber soles or heels that rub off on the approach."

So technically, if you want to stretch it, it'd be breaking that rule.

thomasdgeorge
07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think that graphite will really change the approach much, so I am not sure if Rule #12 would apply. Nonetheless, he certainly didn't erase the x marks he was adding to the lanes.

J Anderson
07-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think that graphite will really change the approach much, so I am not sure if Rule #12 would apply. Nonetheless, he certainly didn't erase the x marks he was adding to the lanes.

Was he adding more marks as the lanes transitioned?

thomasdgeorge
07-28-2013, 09:19 PM
No he wasn't, but probably still easier to use the "x" as reference (far left) than the left most dot.

Hampe
07-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Seems like most centers would mind if someone was doing that. Personally, I think it seems like a pretty self-absorbed thing to do. If you can't remember where to stand on which lane, then bring a small journal or notepad with to the lanes and write it down there. There's no reason to be marking up the approach.

bowl1820
07-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes, it would be a violation of rule 12. While one pwrson doing it might not affect things, imagine if everyone starting doing it.
The approach would get covered with marks, so a build up would start. Plus it would defeat the purpose, you'd lose track of which mark is yours.
Also erasing would be even worse, because the rubber residue from the eraser would cause sticking.

There is no need to mark the lane, just count how many boards you are from the center dot and your there.

swingset
07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I used to take a small piece of colored masking tape, and mark the wood trim at the very back of the approach (on our lanes this is a step-up onto the approach). That way I could visually check where I was going to stand as I walked up to the approach but didn't have to mark the lane or find my mark...and it did not interfere with the approach or violate any rules.

thomasdgeorge
07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
good idea swingset!