PDA

View Full Version : Bowling to arrows or not?

Douglas
07-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Do the pros or high average bowlers aim at the arrows or the pins? I know a new play should aim at the arrows, but I was wondering if MOST real good bowlers do? Thank You Doug

GeoLes
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Do the pros or high average bowlers aim at the arrows or the pins? I know a new play should aim at the arrows, but I was wondering if MOST real good bowlers do? Thank You Doug

As I understand it, many pros throw to the break point or exit point. I have not developed the eye to see yet

Gunny
07-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I use the arrows as a guide, but I shoot for a breakpoint.

Douglas
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you I thought there was another way. doug

vdubtx
07-28-2013, 11:25 PM
I shoot for the arrows and watch what the breakpoint of the ball is and adjust. I don't know of one good bowler that targets at the pins, too much real estate until the ball gets there.

Hampe
07-29-2013, 04:18 AM
I draw (imagine) a straight line from the pins to the breakpoint, and then back to the arrows, and then I try to keep the ball on that line while focusing on the arrow.

But I'm not a pro or even a real high average bowler, so maybe that's the wrong way to do it :).

Douglas
07-29-2013, 06:37 AM
In Golf you pick a blade of grass of leaf to line up with your target set your shoulders and feet. but once you have lined up then you just rely on the setup and make a smooth swing. what seems to happen if you think about to many mechanics of the swing in the swing then nothing works. it seems like that could be the same in the bowling swing? just a thought. I am a Jack of all trades but not good at any. Doug

dnhoffman
07-29-2013, 07:32 AM
For me, the less distance I have to the target I'm locking my eyes on, the better.

Hampe
07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
For me, the less distance I have to the target I'm locking my eyes on, the better.Same here.....I tried aiming for the breakpoint for a while, but I was way too inconsistent. I hit my exact breakpoint a lot more often when aiming through the arrows.

Douglas
07-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Same here.....I tried aiming for the breakpoint for a while, but I was way too inconsistent. I hit my exact breakpoint a lot more often when aiming through the arrows.

That makes allot of sense, I am just looking for an easier way and I don't think there is an easier way. But I am liking bowling better every day. unlike golf I haven't lost my ball yet and I don't need a Tee. Doug

GoodGravy
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
For us folks that don't have that great of eyesight, the closer the better!!! Seriously, about 20 feet down the lane all pretty much looks the same to me, just a semi-focused ball trudging down the lane....and don't get me started on never being able to tell if I got a sleeper (1-5, 2-8, 3-9).

aussiedave
07-30-2013, 05:16 AM
Do the pros or high average bowlers aim at the arrows or the pins? I know a new play should aim at the arrows, but I was wondering if MOST real good bowlers do? Thank You DougUsing the arrows is a great guide to keep you accurate. Once you have mastered keeping within a half a board of your target you will be on your way to a high average.
Iow, it teaches you accuracy, if you watch constantly.
ad.

Douglas
07-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Thank You for all the help, I can see that the arrow are the best way to pin point the sweet spot. so that is what I will keep using. Anyway at 73 years old I shouldn't change anything. Doug

swingset
08-02-2013, 12:18 AM
The pros all do it different. Watch Wes Mallot, he's targeting the dots at the foul line! Others target the arrows, some target breakpoint, some the breakpoint/arrow line, and some just use the Force...lol

dnhoffman
08-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Sometimes I change my target from the arrows as my focus to the dots closer to me as the focus if I want to get the ball to roll earlier.

HughScot
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
The pros all do it different. Watch Wes Mallot, he's targeting the dots at the foul line! Others target the arrows, some target breakpoint, some the breakpoint/arrow line, and some just use the Force...lol

Very true, both Wes Mallot and Liz were targeting the dots at the foul line. I'd try all the above and see what works best.

GeoLes
08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
For me, the less distance I have to the target I'm locking my eyes on, the better.

I was watching the US Open this past weekend and it was pointed out during the head-to-head final the both Wes Mallot and Liz Johnson seem to focus primarily on the foul line, rather than the arrows. I can understand that since when I release my ball I focus on my arrow/board. I see my hand go through that mark, followed by by ball. I continue to see primarily the mark and can see the path of the ball in my peripheral vision.

This means they must have a well trained eye to be able to focus on the release point at the foul line and see the entire 60 feet of ball path to the pins without really looking up.

dnhoffman
08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Ya there was a study done where pros using those glasses that measure eye movement showed the difference between pros and your average bowler and the big difference was that the pros could effectively tunnel to and lock onto their target while we laypeople have a tendency to wildly look around ever so slightly

noeymc
08-02-2013, 04:48 PM
most high avg/ pros use a 3 point targeting system its really hard to explain i when i go bowling this weekend ill record the video and draw a ****ty pic of how to use the 3 point system its the best way t stay ahead of the lanes imo this info was given to me by coach tom reid

billf
08-03-2013, 10:32 AM
3 point targeting is the thing as Noah says and with all the above posts don't realize is they are all part of it.
The basic way it works is you make an imaginary 'Y' from the pins, to breakpoint to foul line. To get an earlier roll move your visual target closer to you. Later roll move the visual target down lane. There have been tournaments where I've ended with a visual target at a spot of wood/laminate that is actually between the two lanes.

Next time the lanes start to breakdown, try it. You will know the ideal breakpoint by then. Don't move your target arrow or feet. Instead of targeting the arrows move that target about 2/3 of the way towards the breakpoint. If you're targeting the dot at the line, move up to the arrows.

Here's the Slowinski article but be warned. It's easier the show to learn this than to read it
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_btm_june_2007_36-41_3point_targeting.pdf

stumblintowards100
08-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Sometimes I change my target from the arrows as my focus to the dots closer to me as the focus if I want to get the ball to roll earlier.

I also do this. If nothing else, moving my mark back to the dots, it slows my ball speed down (thus allowing the ball to read the lane sooner, I presume lol). I've been struggling a bit this summer. a quick vid last week showed that I'm "drifting" farther than usual, and over compensating with my arm swing, releasing way outside of my body. With nothing to lose these last couple of weeks of summer league, I think I'll try Mallot's method tonight and try to get my release back closer to my ankle.

dnhoffman
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I usually just hit my ankle :(