PDA

View Full Version : How do you transition as the night goes on?

dnhoffman
07-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Just curious as to how everyone here transitions as the lanes break down.

Do you move left or are do you bowl with crackers who push you right?

Do you ball down as the Lanes dry out or go to something more aggressive and try to open up the lane?

Just trying to start conversation...

ccb99
07-30-2013, 01:30 AM
I generally move left and ball down... I am speed dominant, so I usually start pretty far right. I usually start with stronger equipment when the patterns are still fresh and ball down and move left as I go along.

Hampe
07-30-2013, 04:26 AM
In a 3-4 game league match I'll generally just move left and every once in a while change to a light oil ball for the last few frames. In a 8-12 game tournament, I'll try all kinds of adjustments....moving left, less hand, lighter oil ball...whatever is working the best :)

dnhoffman
07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the reply!

e-tank
07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
move left then end up switching balls by game 2-3

dnhoffman
07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
move left then end up switching balls by game 2-3

So do you move left and ball down, or move left and try to ball up and play left of the "dead zone" ?

Gunz1911
07-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I am having trouble with this myself. My third game always sucks. Never really sure where to stand or what to try. "Normally" I will just move a few boards left, but then I seem to have such a horrible entry angle. Balling down doesnt work, but hopefully when I re-drill it, I can do better.

noeymc
07-30-2013, 03:40 PM
i watch where my ball hits and make the adjustment needed weather it be moving left right backwards

dnhoffman
07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I am having trouble with this myself. My third game always sucks. Never really sure where to stand or what to try. "Normally" I will just move a few boards left, but then I seem to have such a horrible entry angle. Balling down doesnt work, but hopefully when I re-drill it, I can do better.

Google "Bowling Article: The Dead Zone"

There are some great graphics that talk about oil transition and it can cause exactly what you're talking about (and that I"m trying to spur conversation about here) - be interested to hear your thoughts.

JaMau24
07-30-2013, 07:41 PM
I throw it harder before I decide to move.

Gunz1911
07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Google "Bowling Article: The Dead Zone"

There are some great graphics that talk about oil transition and it can cause exactly what you're talking about (and that I"m trying to spur conversation about here) - be interested to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, I have read that one before. Good article. Only bad thing is I have a hard time deciding if it was a bad throw or I need to move cause of a dead area. Specially in third game when I feel like my arm is getting tired and I try to over compinsate. I do not put nearly enough revs on the ball to move to far left and try to get it back in with a decent angle.

Gunny
07-31-2013, 10:15 AM
I usually try and ball down with something smoother on the backend. It all depends on which ball I start with. Moving right is not an option unless I throw urethane or plastic. It all depends on the ball motion I am seeing. If they are really flying, especially on the backends, I will ball down and go with more length and angle, moving left to open up the lanes. If the angle is too great where I'm pinging corner pins, than I will adjust with ball change to get more midlane. But in doing so I most likely have to move left again. I would say 8 out of 10 times I keep moving left and eventually loft gutter caps. The other two times I would switch to urethane or plastic. But those are the two times that the plastic and urethane wont actually hook that much...lol, the downfall of high revs

dnhoffman
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Downfall of high revs.. not an issue I'll ever have :(

noeymc
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Downfall of high revs.. not an issue I'll ever have :(

it very well could be if you learn to stay behind your balls you should aim for 350-450 i think was the best chance for a strike based on some research hammer did

dnhoffman
07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
it very well could be if you learn to stay behind your balls you should aim for 350-450 i think was the best chance for a strike based on some research hammer did

I've never had it measured, my wife just got a new camera and I'm going to try to get a hi-def round or two filmed so I can get a more accurate check.

noeymc
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't worrie to much about that have them check and see where u hand is as you are about to release it should be behind it not on the side kinda like pushing the ball on to the lane

dnhoffman
07-31-2013, 11:10 PM
i wouldn't worrie to much about that have them check and see where u hand is as you are about to release it should be behind it not on the side kinda like pushing the ball on to the lane

I get behind the ball enough - I have to worry about lofting ... Heh

noeymc
08-01-2013, 06:53 PM
w i am whilling to bet your hand is not where it needs to be by that i mean its not behind the ball like i am talking about can u post a video so i can slow it down and make it frame by frame

dnhoffman
08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Worked on my release more today - that Analysis of Modern 10-Pin bowling video by Dean Champ showed me something.

I started leaving my hand open ala Mike Fagan and BOOM my release was so much smoother, more revs, more accurate.

I missed a 300 in practice by 1 pin today. I shot a 267, all strikes except a 9-open in the 7th...

m92680
08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I usually wind up moving left and go with the "miss left, move left. Miss right, move right" mantra. Mt struggles are when I have to change my ball speed to transition

Aslan
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM

:confused:
I'm the opposite. My scores over 3 games almost always go up.
1) I think I tweak my form a little bit frame to frame. If I notice I'm not following through as much or I stop trusting my mark or really anything like that. Usually by the 3rd game I'm relaxed and my form is what it should be.
2) I never make adjustments after just one frame...unless something is really off like its a synthetic lane versus wood lane or a sport oil pattern vs house. Since I'm a newbie (so to speak), I assume that missing a little is just inconsistent form. But if I miss the same way for a few frames...I move my feet just a little.

My problem moving my feet is my body seems to magnetically want to go back to it's usual position and I end up taking a diaganol to the foul line...and most of the time I don't even notice it.

J Anderson
08-29-2013, 09:44 PM
:confused:
I'm the opposite. My scores over 3 games almost always go up.
1) I think I tweak my form a little bit frame to frame. If I notice I'm not following through as much or I stop trusting my mark or really anything like that. Usually by the 3rd game I'm relaxed and my form is what it should be.
2) I never make adjustments after just one frame...unless something is really off like its a synthetic lane versus wood lane or a sport oil pattern vs house. Since I'm a newbie (so to speak), I assume that missing a little is just inconsistent form. But if I miss the same way for a few frames...I move my feet just a little.

My problem moving my feet is my body seems to magnetically want to go back to it's usual position and I end up taking a diaganol to the foul line...and most of the time I don't even notice it.

The key on making adjustments is watching what your ball does going down the lane. If you don't see your ball roll over your target do not make an adjustment. If you do see it go over your target then you can make an adjustment based on how the ball goes through the rack.

Aslan
08-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Sometimes I have to remind myself it's not the PBA...I don't need to worry about oil patterns and playing different areas and varying ball speed. Instead of getting so wrapped up in my own head...I need to just relax...walk up, throw the damn ball. It's a simple sport...roll a big, heavy ball...into the head pin. Sometimes I get so worried about mechanics I forget that.

e-tank
08-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Sometimes I have to remind myself it's not the PBA...I don't need to worry about oil patterns and playing different areas and varying ball speed. Instead of getting so wrapped up in my own head...I need to just relax...walk up, throw the damn ball. It's a simple sport...roll a big, heavy ball...into the head pin. Sometimes I get so worried about mechanics I forget that.

i still have some of those problems. Whether its watching my mark or a mental lapse in my form

Hampe
08-30-2013, 06:28 AM
I tried out something at a tourney a few weeks ago for the first time and I would highly recommend it to anyone having trouble making adjustments. I started writing down where I was standing and which arrow I was playing on a little piece of notepaper. I was keeping track for each lane seperately, and it was really helpful since a few of the sets the pair was slightly different. Not only did keeping notes help with remembering exactly which adjustments I made on which lane (which I sometimes forget), it also helped keeping me focused and thinking about my game while I was waiting for my turn (instead of just watching the other bowlers and spacing out). I ended up having one of my best 6 game sets (1218) and got 3rd place in the singles event :).

After trying it out it will definitely be something I start doing every league or tournament I play in from now on.

vdubtx
08-30-2013, 10:11 AM
We expect updates with statistics a la Walter Ray Williams when he posts his tournament stats. If you haven't read his updates, take a look at his page on facebook. :)

Stormed1
08-30-2013, 03:06 PM
With my slower speed I tend to do both I will make moves and hand position changes first and then ball down. On my Friday morning league I usually go tjrough 2 balls. On Mondays 3 ball. When I sub on Friday nights (wood center) 4 balls

Hammer
10-15-2013, 09:05 PM
To Hampe: I like your idea of using a piece of paper or maybe a post-it to write down where you stand on each lane and what arrow you throw across. I have the same thing as I bowl on league night as I go on the approach I sometimes forget which board I was standing on with my sliding foot on which alley. I think that I will remember but sometimes the brain goes blank. I will try that on our league night this Saturday. :cool:

noeymc
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
The key on making adjustments is watching what your ball does going down the lane. If you don't see your ball roll over your target do not make an adjustment. If you do see it go over your target then you can make an adjustment based on how the ball goes through the rack.

would like to add make sure it comes off your hand good! and as well as what anderson said

Zaxmazr
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I transition by switching balls, sometime even my throwing style lol

manke
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Just remember if you are moving your feet make sure you move your mark too!!!

dnhoffman
10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
two and one, usually.. sometimes I find on a house shot I don't even have to move my target.