PDA

View Full Version : Playing the inside/out side....OF THE BALL....

MICHAEL
08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Looking for a good U Tube discussion/video on hand position! I still don’t get the phrase,
“playing the INSIDE of the ball”, or “OUTSIDE of the ball”! I need help on this….among other things lol
I understand cocking the wrist, but not sure about the above mentioned.
Remember, I am older then you, and its harder for tips to sink "INSIDE" my brain, from the "OUTSIDE! lol

dnhoffman
08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Skip to 6:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL602B4C7E733CAB55

mike_thomas93
08-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Not bad. I like what I saw. I'm barely getting back on the lanes after a few months. I got myself out of the full roller, and into the 3/4. I wanna work on getting more hand in the ball since I wasn't able to do that in the full roller. I'm still in the process of coming out of it thumb first then fingers, but I get afraid of dropping the ball, or the ball slipping off too soon://

dnhoffman
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
. I'm still in the process of coming out of it thumb first then fingers, but I get afraid of dropping the ball, or the ball slipping off too soon://

It's a battle

Tihomir
08-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Good video analysis. I think PDW has the greatest combo of timing, swing, release, axis rotation. Being on the inside of the ball is crucial on making the ball curve on the back if you want to play the inside line, and the amount of axis rotation is important as well. PDW gets his wrist at at least 200 degrees on the side of the ball without having a lot of speed, which is why he can create the great backend motion on almost any condition.

Hammer
09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
According to the video playing the inside of the ball means that as the ball is swung back to the top of the backswing the hand rotates slightly to the inside of the ball instead of staying directly behind the ball or slightly rotated to the outside of the ball. You notice that when the pros swing down with the ball their hand doesn't start rotating until they are close to the release position and then they go from slightly inside the ball to slightly outside the ball. Their ball when they do this swings close to the ankle of their sliding foot. That is the key to getting good leverage on the shot, SWINGING CLOSE TO THE SLIDING ANKLE. I have thrown this into my practice sessions. It seems like it would be easy to do but it isn't. In the back of my mind I am slightly afraid of hitting my ankle with the ball.:cool:

dnhoffman
10-01-2013, 11:27 AM
For me it's just having my hand loose and to the posterior, this translates into a lot of revs.

bowl1820
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
In the simplest form, The inside of the ball is the side closest to your body.
So when your playing the inside, it means your hand/fingers are more on that side of the ball.

http://s5.postimg.org/wrkjrzayv/insideofball.jpg

Perrin
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Speaking as a person who changed their swing because they used to occasionally clip their slide ankle you do NOT want to clip your ankle witha 15-16lb ball travelling 15-20MPH :(

e-tank
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm still in the process of coming out of it thumb first then fingers, but I get afraid of dropping the ball, or the ball slipping off too soon://

im still working on that. Im not sure if this is good technique or not but ill wait til i feel my thumb exit then i flip the ball off my finger tips. Timing feels super late but it works and i get a better reaction than what ever i normally do with my hand

Terrier
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Speaking as a person who changed their swing because they used to occasionally clip their slide ankle you do NOT want to clip your ankle witha 15-16lb ball travelling 15-20MPH :(Bill O'Neill feels your pain. Scrub to the 7:30 mark.

http://youtu.be/B3owKeaZFZc?t=7m29s