PDA

View Full Version : My Release

mike_thomas93
08-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi, guys. I'm just getting back on the lanes after a few months, and I'm just getting into coming out of the ball the normal way. I just got out from being a full roller, but I'm still in the process of getting the release dialed in. I did a lot of practice at home rolling the ball on the floor and couch and stuff. I know it's thumb out then fingers, but I get afraid of the ball slipping out off my hand or me putting force on the fingers. I don't know if I'm coming out of the ball too late or what. And I want to increase my speed and put more hand in the ball. I know it will much practice, but any advice you guys might have? I need all I can get. ;/

Hampe
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
If you can afford it, a lesson with a coach wouldn't be a bad idea.

swingset
08-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Going to assume 3 big things...

1. Your ball is properly fitted.

2. You're using a fingertip grip.

3. You're using a traditional arm swing and not cupping.

If all of those are true, the first thing I'd work on is doing drills to teach your hand and your brain that you're not going to drop the ball.

Stand and swing the ball with your hand loosely holding the ball. It should take very minimal hand pressure to keep the ball on your hand no matter how high you swing. Let your arm swing very freely and without any "muscle". Do this until you're very used to having the ball on the end of your arm without tension or gripping hard.

Next thing I'd work on is hand position during backswing and release. Before pushaway, have your first finger pointed down the lane, then hold that position as you bring the ball into your backswing. When your arm is on the downswing (passing your hip) your thumb should be pointing down the lane....this creates pretty much the classic hand position to come up and through the ball while imparting a touch of rotation.

Release like that but positioned so that you're down on your knee and on the downswing the ball is pretty much on the ground. (see Norm Duke's release drill on youtube).

I'd suggest a video of what you're doing, would help diagnose what you're doing (and not doing).

noeymc
08-14-2013, 05:12 PM
post a video please as close to your release as u can get it

or get a coach fixing a release is one of the harder things to do

mike_thomas93
08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I haven't videoed myself in months, and all my videos are me throwing shots, but they're all when I was a full roller.

mike_thomas93
08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
All 3 of your assumptions are correct. And I just started using grips. At least in one ball just to test how they feel.

dnhoffman
08-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I'd echo the comment about working with a coach.

mike_thomas93
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I've been constantly trying to contact my coach, but I've been getting no answer. And I am already in poverty as it is now. I'll just have to take a few video shots of myself.

GeoLes
08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=16&Itemid=50

Look at the foul line drills. You can do them on your own without a coach.

mike_thomas93
08-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks, GeoLes. Certainly looks doable. Thank you