PDA

View Full Version : First Regional Tournament

EboniteKid299
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Well, it so happens that I will be bowling my first PBA regional this weekend on the Bear pattern.. really looking forward to it. Tomorrow is gonna be the 2 hour practice session, has anyone on here ever bowled a regional themselves? and if so what would be some good advice for somebody like me that will be bowling their first one? I know to expect spare shooting and making good shots since it's the bear essentially US Open pattern.

Hampe
08-23-2013, 05:21 AM
Cool....good luck. I've never bowled in a PBA regional, so I can't give you any specific advice.

classygranny
08-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Relax, have fun and stay in the moment. Good Luck!

J Anderson
08-23-2013, 12:51 PM
I haven't tried a PBA regional yet, but I have competed in a singles scratch sport league. I tend to finish in the middle of the pack as far as average and points, yet I have had games and series where I've beaten some of the top bowlers in the league.

The advice you've been given so far has been excellent. Keep focused on one ball at a time. If you execute well, ( or get lucky ) you can get a strike. The best your opponent can do in any one frame is to get a strike. For that one frame you are every bit as capable as the pros you're bowling against. If you miss, only think about it long enough to figure out if it requires an adjustment or not and forget about the result. Your only concern about the other bowlers should be to see where / how they're playing the lanes. If they have a lot better carry you might want to try to copy them, If not you might speculate on how their play might affect your line.

As others have said relax, stay in the moment, and have fun. Few things are more fun than beating bowlers who are "better" than you are.

Stormed1
08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
20 years ago I bowled regionals for about 7 years. Stay within your own game. Don't get caught up trying to do something out of your comfort zone because it's working for someone else.If you are struggling to find a shot watch the people around you who are scoring. See what they are using as a break point and then figure out what ball/line you need to reach that break point.Most of all HAVE FUN

EboniteKid299
08-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, had a pretty good practice session today, a good look with the Pursuit S on the fresh and a really good look with the vibe later when they got crispy, need keep calm and do just about everything you guys said above. It will be a learning experience no matter what that's guaranteed

Stormed1
08-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Good luck and good bowling

J Anderson
08-24-2013, 08:36 AM
It will be a learning experience no matter what that's guaranteed

That should be everyday if you're living right.

STRYKER
08-24-2013, 11:17 AM
never bowled a regional but i wish you the best of luck