PDA

View Full Version : WBA South Jersey changing awards, dues

thwacking
08-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I have been told that the Women's bowling association in my region would charge $17 again this year but has stopped facilitating awards (keychains, patches, etc.) for top scores. Next year, the dues are going to $20.

As a league treasurer, this troubles me because :

- The dues ($17 /20) are now paying administrative fees, but without the benefits I am not sure who will want to be sanctioned except for tournament bowlers. We are a fun mixed league, with low averages, and hardly no one is signing up for tournament scores.

- The USBC, once considered more expensive at $20, still offers better prizes than WBA. The incentive for a women bowler to join a team has just become a disincentive

- What exactly are they spending the dues on? My members will question why they are paying something for nothing. We will have to subsidize league awards out of the prize fund, or bypass it altogether.

- The WBA could be losing money for other reasons other than shrinking membership. I questioned their not depositing my league's check for nearly 6 months, as well as their lack of ability to pursue debts. When I turned in dues late, the USBC breathed down my neck until they were paid, but WBA representative never reaches out for payments, only seeks out averages once a year.

J Anderson
08-24-2013, 02:05 PM
I have been told that the Women's bowling association in my region would charge $17 again this year but has stopped facilitating awards (keychains, patches, etc.) for top scores. Next year, the dues are going to $20.

As a league treasurer, this troubles me because :

- The dues ($17 /20) are now paying administrative fees, but without the benefits I am not sure who will want to be sanctioned except for tournament bowlers. We are a fun mixed league, with low averages, and hardly no one is signing up for tournament scores.

- The USBC, once considered more expensive at $20, still offers better prizes than WBA. The incentive for a women bowler to join a team has just become a disincentive

- What exactly are they spending the dues on? My members will question why they are paying something for nothing. We will have to subsidize league awards out of the prize fund, or bypass it altogether.

- The WBA could be losing money for other reasons other than shrinking membership. I questioned their not depositing my league's check for nearly 6 months, as well as their lack of ability to pursue debts. When I turned in dues late, the USBC breathed down my neck until they were paid, but WBA representative never reaches out for payments, only seeks out averages once a year.

I did not realize that there were separate women's bowling associations. I thought that when the ABC merged with the WIBC that the local associations whether men's or women's became part of the USBC. Supposedly they were encouraged to merge on the local level as well.

Was your local WBA part of the WIBC? Did they decide to leave the national association after the merger? Are your members having to pay USBC dues as well as WBA?

I know that in my area the locals did not merge so a mixed league would have to send a check to both locals. The locals would then forward the state and nation portion of the dues to the state USBC and the national USBC.

thwacking
08-24-2013, 02:58 PM
male members are paying USBC $20. female members are paying 17 to WBA and next year it goes to $20 but for what this covers it remains to be seen.

I am unaware of USBC options but will ask my local rep if our women can join them. I'm sure they'll be happy to get some expanded membership of any kind. bowling alleys and leagues in our area have been in steep decline since 1990.