PDA

View Full Version : 16 vs 14 question on length!!

MICHAEL
08-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Heavier ball vs Lighter ball, does a heavier ball with the same speed, and revolutions, go further
Down the lane because of its weight and inertia, and hook later?

How does its weight affect its ability to make the turn, when compared to a 14lb ball? Let’s compare a 16 and a 14! All things being equal in regards to speed, and rev’s.
I would think the 16 would go further, before making its move?

e-tank
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I would assume that a 16 would turn sooner due to having a higher mass and more friction

J Anderson
08-26-2013, 09:09 PM
I would assume that a 16 would turn sooner due to having a higher mass and more friction

I think it would be a wash. the same extra mass that increases the force of friction also increases the momentum making it harder to change direction.

GoodGravy
08-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Ahhhh...a physics question:

So, from what I remember, momentum=Mass*Velocity. The greater the mass, the more an object will retain it inertia. Based on your initial premise that all the variables are the same (speed, surface, friction, revs, etc...) and the only difference is weight, then the heaver ball will resist changes in motion more than the lighter ball. So yes, the heaver ball should go longer before it changes direction.

Now the only problem with this is that unless there is a highly calibrated machine out there that can throw the ball the same way AND the lane stays exactly the same, proving this in real life will be a touch difficult.

MICHAEL
08-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Ahhhh...a physics question:

So, from what I remember, momentum=Mass*Velocity. The greater the mass, the more an object will retain it inertia. Based on your initial premise that all the variables are the same (speed, surface, friction, revs, etc...) and the only difference is weight, then the heaver ball will resist changes in motion more than the lighter ball. So yes, the heaver ball should go longer before it changes direction.

Now the only problem with this is that unless there is a highly calibrated machine out there that can throw the ball the same way AND the lane stays exactly the same, proving this in real life will be a touch difficult.

Believe it or not I had two classes in physics at William Jewell College, her in Liberty Mo. That's exactly what I thought the answer would be!

The heavier ball in earth gravity at a given lane, with all conditions being the same will resist a change in motion more so then a lighter ball!

If it has the same cover stock, same surface, and all the above mentioned....

Could that be on reason why several Top Guns in one of our leagues switched to 14! I know their balls go down and kick like a Missouri mule before darting into the pocket.

One in particular, said to me moving from a 16, to 15, and then a 14! He brought his average up to 225 230 using 14! He said many of his frinds did the same and had good results also.

Sunday I bowled on the same league I did last year, and one member on the team, (our captain), went from a 15, to a new hammer nail 14lber, this year, and he really had a great series, 676! Could have been even higher missed a few spares, and some pocket hits that didn't carry! Lots of strikes though!!!

So now I am wondering if a 14lber would be fun to give a try! I know I like the feel of both the 15, and 16, but the physics might be fun to play with just to see the difference!!

I am thinking about getting another ball, same as one of my others, Drill it the same way, and see what the difference is!!! Damn I love to experiment with laws of physics!!!! LOL

question everything!!

GoodGravy
08-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Now it is getting interesting.......

The twist to this is now determining what is/are the most import factor (s) in pin carry and strike capability. According to some of the research that USBC has conducted, (i'm paraphrasing here from memory so you should fact check me) that there is a combination of inertia and entry angle that creates the highest strike potential. So while a lighter ball may have superior characteristics for higher revs and entry angle, you lose some of the amount of inertia and therefore your ball will deflect more (hello 5 pin).

However, it is highly likely that more players have a harder time 'getting to the pocket' consistently, so inertia becomes a secondary factor. I believe that this is why there has been a big migration from 16 to 15. The same research seemed to state (again, by my memory) that the difference in loss of stored energy was negligible between a 16 and 15 compared to the increase in angle of entry (remember our earlier discussion on how lighter balls hook easier). If my theory is right concerning clean pocket hits being a far bigger issue, it may make sense to give a 14 lber a try, especially if you happen to have one laying around...

Actually, the more I think about it, the more confusing this gets......

MICHAEL
08-28-2013, 01:11 AM
I don't have one laying around,,, ((wait my wife does!!)) Not sure it is what you would call laying around, but I might ...........just...... ask her permission to WAIT>>> that won't work! I need for the experiment to have any validity, the balls have to be the same brand, and model, drilled the same way!! Sooooooo I think I might get a more reasonable priced ball, since this is mainly for the glory of Scientific knowledge!! LOL
I have a DV8 red marauder, and had some good series with it, best being a 749 a while back. I think I can get one here on line for less then 100.00!!!
Need to do a check!!?

Hampe
08-28-2013, 05:25 AM
I don't know about the physics of it all, but since switching from 14 to 15, I've gotten a noticable increase in pin carry. At least that's how it seems so far to me.....maybe I'm just crazy or using selection bias or something.

MICHAEL
08-28-2013, 05:13 PM
The question now is:
1. Do I match a Matte ball, or Pearl?
2. symmetrical or asymmetrical?
Wow, I just thought of something, I only have two 16lbers, One the DV8 lemon drop, the other the meanstreet beatdown!
I want it to be the two extremes!

Lemon drop much, cheaper,,,, but would it be a good test? I would rather have another Meanstreet beatdown for the test!!
But wow,,, that would be some bucks!! hummmm

bowlingball.com would you give ma a GOOD DEAL on another meanstreet beatdown?? I would still need to put 50 bucks into drilling and vise system to make the balls equal in every way....lol...(:)

MICHAEL
08-28-2013, 10:50 PM
I am going to do this experiment in the very near future! Which ball will perform better! A fair text would be to throw them for 3 games, alternating 16, then 14! Give me a couple weeks to figure out which ball I want to use, and have a duplicate of!!

J Anderson
08-29-2013, 08:14 AM
The question now is:
1. Do I match a Matte ball, or Pearl?
2. symmetrical or asymmetrical?
Wow, I just thought of something, I only have two 16lbers, One the DV8 lemon drop, the other the meanstreet beatdown!
I want it to be the two extremes!

Lemon drop much, cheaper,,,, but would it be a good test? I would rather have another Meanstreet beatdown for the test!!
But wow,,, that would be some bucks!! hummmm

bowlingball.com would you give ma a GOOD DEAL on another meanstreet beatdown?? I would still need to put 50 bucks into drilling and vise system to make the balls equal in every way....lol...(:)

As long as its the same model ball, same drilling, same surface, and the only difference the weight. It shouldn't matter if you're comparing two solids or two pearls. I would suggest symmetrical rather than asymmetric as the latter can be more sensitive to slight variations in your release.

MICHAEL
08-29-2013, 08:37 AM
As long as its the same model ball, same drilling, same surface, and the only difference the weight. It shouldn't matter if you're comparing two solids or two pearls. I would suggest symmetrical rather than asymmetric as the latter can be more sensitive to slight variations in your release.

Good point mr Anderson!!! I would like to get another Brunswick beatdown, is symmetrical, and since I have a 16lb, thanks to bowlball.com, all I would have to do is beg my wife, or maybe you John,,, for some moola!!! lol I have a organic cow, (beef butchered that was 100 percent grass fed coming in today or tomorrow, also an organic pig, (no GMO's)

So I might have to wait for a short time before I can justify putting out 180 bucks for the ball and inserts, and Vise system! I CAN't WAIT, so I doubt I WILL!!!!!!

John what do you think about using the beatdown? Matte finish, symmetrical? I am so damn excited about trying this out, I feel like Water Waiting for the First FREEEZE..... ICEMAN!!!

ANY BRUNSWICK REPS CARE TO DONATE A 14LB BALL FOR THIS crucial experiment in the laws of physics ??? lol (:)