PDA

View Full Version : Off to be a leftie!

DLP
08-27-2013, 11:06 AM
I had posted some time ago re: a back injury that I sustained. While it has gotten better (the intensity of the pain has eased), the niggling tightness remains in my back and left hip.

Instead of fighting it and having problems getting back to the level I was at, I tried something. I threw a ball left handed. And was oddly and frightening shocked, surprised, and pleased at the results.

So tonight at practice, I'm going to switch to leftie and see how I do. Luckily enough, because I've thrown backup ball with my right hand, my balls are already drilled for left handed throwing/hook.

We'll see how tonight goes :)

Perrin
08-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I wish you the best of luck.

Just remember though that for sanctioned League you have to only bowl with 1 hand so if you start league one way you have to get special dispensation (league approval) to change hands.... and you have a different average and handicap with each hand.

vdubtx
08-27-2013, 11:48 AM
COol. Good luck being a lefty. If nothing else, you will likely have fresher oil for a longer duration of the night. :)

I tried left handing a long time ago. Not being very coordinated, I couldn't get the footwork right. LOL. Was still sliding with my left, but I did bowl a few 200 games during our fun end of season league night that year.

DLP
08-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I wish you the best of luck.

Just remember though that for sanctioned League you have to only bowl with 1 hand so if you start league one way you have to get special dispensation (league approval) to change hands.... and you have a different average and handicap with each hand.

Ayup - its why I'm probably going to bowl my Wed night league leftie. It starts in a week and a half so I still have time to figure out if its hopeless!

DLP
08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I did well after I got the kinks worked out. Had issues with my shoulders (leading with my left shoulder and also not keeping them open). After I got into the habit of keeping the shoulders back and open and not leading with my left shoulder (hence turning at the waist), I had no problems with pin fall and started marking on every frame.

Can't wait to get back to the lanes again later this week. Considering bowling every day next week while on vacation to really get the feel for the shift.

vdubtx
08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
That is awesome. The more you bowl that way the more it will become natural.

DLP
09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
New drill sheet made up :)

Getting the thumb hole fixed on the Diva between today and tomorrow. When I get the Diva back, the Fringe gets adjusted. Woohooo!

Excited to give it a go as so much is changing

classygranny
09-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I wish you all the best...what a change you will be making! I'm sure it will work out great for you. You have what it takes to make this work...keep it up!