PDA

View Full Version : Score plummets at new Lanes!

Aslan
08-27-2013, 04:44 PM
So I've been doing awesome since getting my new ball, new grip, lessons, practicing a lot (probably too much)...

Anyways, I decide to bring my ball with me to a poker tournament, figuring afterwards I'd hit a local lanes for some practice. Well, I walk into this new establishment, I guess its only been around since the start of 2013...and suddenly instead of bowling 135, 144, 166...I'm bowling 102, 111, 108. I'm like, WTF!? I was hitting my spots, but the ball wasn't hooking...at ALL. Not to mention there were all kinds of belt marks all over it.

Finally I was able to adjust my approach and target enough to get back into the 130s-150s...but I virtually ended up throwing a straight ball, from the right, aiming middle. I thought about adjusting my speed down...but my hour was up so I left. I was all worried that maybe they weren't using a house oil pattern or maybe in 3 weeks my ball has lost all of it's reactivity. Or God forbid...maybe the last couple weeks I've just gotten "lucky" and I'm back to being a 90-125 bowler!!!

Well, I talked to my coach and he said...synthetic lanes. I'm used to bowling wood lanes...the place I went to, new lanes, most likely synthetic. He suggested next time, keep with my same approach and targeting, but shorten the backswing and slow the ball down...I'm asssuming so that it has time to react and hook into the pocket.

Has anyone else had this issue? Where you've went from wood to synthetic or vice versa and had issues? I've heard of drastic differences going from house oil patterns to sport/pro oil patterns...but never wood to synthetic or vice versa.

Stormed1
08-27-2013, 08:27 PM
It's all part of learning proper adjustments as far as what ball, line and release.For example the 3 centrs I bowl leagues in are night and day.My Friday league is on 3 year old Pro-anvilane. It's a lower friction surface so even with my slower speed I'm sble to throw Med/med-heavy equipment with strong drillings. Monday night is on 12 year old Brunswick synthetics (not anvilane so much more friction. In this house i throw Med/med-light equipment with weaker control drillings.Center 3 is 25+ year old wood (tons of friction). This center puts enough oil out that i can still throw my equipment from center 2, However in center 2 i play 12-8 but here on the fresh i start out at 17-8 and by game 3 Ilm at 25-12 with a 6x70x70 Qz2 Blue @4k polished