PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "DIS"honor roll??

Aslan
08-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Had some free time this afternoon...decided bowling would be cheaper and more cool (temperature-wise) than golf so I bowled a couple series. Have been really taking big leaps in my game the last 3-4 weeks...but today....just "off". Awful. Went from bowling a 491 and 528 Monday to bowling a 395 and 362 today. :mad:

Self-Analysis (as much as I'm capable of):
- First series I had a pair of 140s games...wasn't terrible....just too many open frames, missing spares.
- Then came a couple 100s games where for the life of me I couldn't get a strike and was constantly leaving splits. I was moving 1-2 boards one way, then the other way...trying to adjust my target by a board or 2 one way or a board or two the other way...nothing was working.
- By the 5th game, I started focusing on my follow-through...got dialed into where I needed to stand and aim...but was leaving a lot of 2,4,5s...the ball just didn't seem to be hooking...and I wasn't picking them all up. I tried to slow my ball speed down to get the ball to hook...but it wasn't working. Finished with a 120.
- By the 6th game, had my aim down, was focusing on the follow-through and my form...but again, just missing spares...mainly the 7 or the 10. But knowing that my form was better and I was following through better...getting a little hook back...I started to relax which helped and I ended with a 137.

I think my two biggest challenges at this point are:
1) Better follow-through. If I follow-through, the ball hooks a little. Doesn't seem like it's hooking as well as when it was new...but it'll hook if I extend my arm on the follow-through.
2) I have to trust my spots...especially when trying to pick up the 7 or the 10. I get nervous just as I go to throw...afraid that I'm gonna toss it in the gutter...and I end up missing it my inches to the inside.

And yes, I would have taken a video...but I was by myself.

Perrin
08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Good to see someone actually willing to practice to get better :) so many say they want to get better but only show up to league every week and that's it.

For the ball hooking less.... How many games do you have on it? depending on which ball company you listen to the ball should be cleaned/de-oiled every 30-60 games and re-surfaced every 75-100 games.

Seems like alot until you consider that each league is 3-4 games (counting warmup throws) and then 3-6 games here and there for practice adds up fast especially if you bowl in multiple leagues.

There are several threads on here aout best way to de-oil. the most popluar seems to be the hot water/bucket method

The pins you are leaving can tell you alot about what you need to do to adjust. 2-4-5 to me is my ball not having angle to the pocket. I would move right probably 2-3 boards and move my mark a board right also.

7 and 10 pins are the bane of most bowlers :) for the seven I use my strike ball and move my feet ~10 boards right and slow down a little keeping the same mark on the lane. For the 10 I mve my feet all the way left(35) and use my plastic ball. just focus on hitting my mark.(18 board for me becasue I drift right)

Aslan
08-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, I'd say...and this sorta makes me coach cringe...I have probably about 54 games on my ball after about 3-4 weeks. I'm not in a league yet...but I've been practicing at least twice a week...6-8 games each time.

I've wiped the ball down a couple times with one of those little handi-wipes you get at rib joints....and I use a towel while I'm bowling. I figured I'd get a spray bottle and use the "Simple-Green/Alcohol" mixture I read about online...then maybe after the season do the soapy water/bucket clean...maybe a light once over with 1000-1500 grit paper. I guess I didn't think I had to do that stuff so soon.

My most common leave is the 1,2,4,7. After that....the 6,10. Next I'd say is leaving a clean 10. After that, the 7. Next most common, leaving the 5. The other weird thing is...I tend to get more Brooklyn strikes that regular strikes. If I hit in the pocket...70% of the time it'll be a strike. But if I miss left and hit the left side of the head pin (throwing righty)...85% of the time I strike. Seems like it should be opposite.

But yeah...I've been getting a LOT of practice at the 1,2,4,7 and the 6,10. The 6,10 I'm okay with. But that damn 1,2,4,7...if I don't knock the head pin diagonally...I end up leaving 1-2 of them standing. Very irritating...because that should be an easy spare to pick up.