PDA

View Full Version : Tnba

Aslan
08-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Anyone ever bowl in a TNBA tournament?

I found a tournament locally that looked decent...not to expensive to play in...handicap...etc... But then as I looked into the "TNBA" more I learned it's kind've a "black" organization. I read up on it and I guess anyone from any race can join...but I guess it started out a long time ago as a "Negro Bowling Association" or something along those lines. They dropped the "negro" and opened it up to all races way back...I think in the 50s. But it's still over 80% african american.

I found that interesting for some reason. Never heard of them before. But hey, if it's open to anyone...maybe once I finish my first league so I have a sanctioned average...it might be something fun to try. You can't the price...$20 to join the TNBA, $35 to enter the tournament. Heck, pay nearly that much if I want to bowl a couple hours on a weekend...so you can't beat the price. Although, I admit...in a non-racist way...I'd feel kinda akward if I walked into the alley for the tournament and I was the only white guy in the place. :eek:

J Anderson
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Anyone ever bowl in a TNBA tournament?

I found a tournament locally that looked decent...not to expensive to play in...handicap...etc... But then as I looked into the "TNBA" more I learned it's kind've a "black" organization. I read up on it and I guess anyone from any race can join...but I guess it started out a long time ago as a "Negro Bowling Association" or something along those lines. They dropped the "negro" and opened it up to all races way back...I think in the 50s. But it's still over 80% african american.

I found that interesting for some reason. Never heard of them before. But hey, if it's open to anyone...maybe once I finish my first league so I have a sanctioned average...it might be something fun to try. You can't the price...$20 to join the TNBA, $35 to enter the tournament. Heck, pay nearly that much if I want to bowl a couple hours on a weekend...so you can't beat the price. Although, I admit...in a non-racist way...I'd feel kinda akward if I walked into the alley for the tournament and I was the only white guy in the place. :eek:

I bowled this summer in a TNBA league, and yes, whites were the minority. When I was much younger that might have made me feel uncomfortable, but now, having had experiences like the one where my wife and I were the only white customers in a restaurant, it doesn't bother me.

I haven't bowled in any of their tournaments but two of my white friends have, and enjoy doing so. In fact one of them is quite vocal about what a great organization it is.

My own experience with the group is that they are as nice a group of bowlers as any other group you're likely to meet. don't worry about being different.

Josch
08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
My youth league is primarily black and most of the officials are TNBA members. Because of this we compete in the TNBA junior virtual team tournament. Last year my team won in Western Region Division 1 and we got an all expense paid trip to compete against the other 3 regional winners in Louisville, KY. We ended up getting second. Everyone on our team got a $200 scholarship, with more going to the winning team and less to the third and fourth place team. All 16 of us in the tournament also got a free Hammer Rhythm. In the group of 16 kids, 3 where white, including me and one of my teammates. All the officials and coaches were black, along with most of the people competing in the adult tournament going on at the same time. I had a lot of fun. It's a good organization.

Aslan
08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
It looked like a cool organization. Most tournaments you see advertised around here are out in Vegas and it's like $250-$350 to enter plus the cost of going there and staying there. So to find some well run local tournaments where you can enter for $35-$75...that'd be great!

And I don't really care if I'm in the minority. The place I worked at the last two jobs I had...60-80% african American...so I'm kinda used to it. As long as it's not like the movies where as soon as I walk in the music stops and everyone turns in unison....that would be intimidating!!!