PDA

View Full Version : Are you a league officer or have been one?

The KingPin
08-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Have you ever been a bowling league officer? What about it is so special? Is it a lot of work or fun? I know some people hide when asked to be an officer, so what's your take on being a bowling officer?

onefrombills
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Have you ever been a bowling league officer? What about it is so special? Is it a lot of work or fun? I know some people hide when asked to be an officer, so what's your take on being a bowling officer?

Being an Office of a league is not hard work BUT you are held responisable if anything happends with in a League....such as Law suits, stolen money. Theses are things that are very far and few between, I always look foward to be Vice pres cause you dont have anything to do unless the Pres and Sec are not there .....LOL

The KingPin
08-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Being an Office of a league is not hard work BUT you are held responisable if anything happends with in a League....such as Law suits, stolen money. Theses are things that are very far and few between, I always look foward to be Vice pres cause you dont have anything to do unless the Pres and Sec are not there .....LOL

So if you are the secretary, what can you expect? Weekly due collecting and such?

onefrombills
08-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Yeah the sec's job is there to collect and make sure funds are taking care of nightly

The KingPin
08-16-2008, 11:04 PM
That seems like it might be a pain at times. I wonder if some people avoid trying to do it at all?

onefrombills
08-17-2008, 01:56 AM
LOL....well anytime you have to track down adults and get them to pay can be a pain for sure

zman
08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Actualy it's the Treasurers job to take care of the money. But most of the time Secretary and Treasurer positions are combined so the same person does both jobs. I was Secretary/Treasurer for about 25 years, gave it up this year, 25 years was enough. I will say our league had very few problems made my job easier.

Yeah the sec's job is there to collect and make sure funds are taking care of nightly

Baroncad
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I was tagged last night to be Sargent-at-arms for my Tuesday League. Now that is a cush position, if someone misbehaves badly just call the law.

The way I see it the pecking order:
Secretary-handles money and gives awards out, and handles score sheets (very POWERFUL)
President-Conducts kickoff meeting and ending meeting to disperse money (Talking Head just like a Politician)
Vice Pres.- Hands President Money folder at ending Meeting (Vanna White)
S.A.A- Sit on Rump at meetings and shooshes mere mortals so Pres. can talk (Smartest, no power-no responsibility) :p

onefrombills
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Your the fuzzz now huh?????

Baroncad
09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Your the fuzzz now huh?????

THAT is MR.FUZZ to you. :cool:

onefrombills
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
THAT is MR.FUZZ to you. :cool:

Yesss masta yeeeesssssss!!!!!

PSBA10
09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I am not currently a league officer, but I have been in the past. Currently I am on the local association board and a vice president with the state board.

onefrombills
09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Im a director with our local assoc

PSBA10
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Brian I congratulate you. It is rare that someone as young as you actually takes the time to get involved in the organization of the sport. I wish we could find more like you.

onefrombills
09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
LOL thanks
Something that I have is passion for this game and sport

Im a director for our local Assoc
Ast Youth Director
USBC Level 1 Coach
write for our local Bowling Paoer
Have my own website for the articals I write
staff member for Columbia 300, Vise grips and Bowling with LEVERAGE Pro Shops
Im waiting on National USBC to see if I get added to the National Youth Board

The KingPin
09-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I am not currently a league officer, but I have been in the past. Currently I am on the local association board and a vice president with the state board.

It really is great to have you! Actually it is an honor:)

PSBA10
09-05-2008, 12:33 AM
...and I thought I was busy with bowling "stuff".

onefrombills
09-05-2008, 02:37 AM
If that was for me thats funny ....If not never mind :)

Baroncad
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
LOL thanks
Something that I have is passion for this game and sport

Im a director for our local Assoc
Ast Youth Director
USBC Level 1 Coach
write for our local Bowling Paoer
Have my own website for the articals I write
staff member for Columbia 300, Vise grips and Bowling with LEVERAGE Pro Shops
Im waiting on National USBC to see if I get added to the National Youth Board

WOW!!! :eek: :eek:

You most definitely do have a passion for bowling.
I bow to you "massah"

PrettyLilMoon
09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
I've been Vice Pres on two prior leagues and am a current V.P. now. Yes...MOST of the time it's a cushy job! In our leagues, the Pres and V.P. both have to sign signature forms for the league bank account in case either of us have to deal with the money. Our Tuesday night league started two Tuesdays ago and our secretary was admitted to the hospital five days prior with heart arrhythmia. She was still in the hospital that day and nobody had offered to take care of anything having to do with the league for that night so I got a friend to watch my son and spent three hours in the hospital with her filling out envelopes, looking up averages and making up a list for our local bowling center to input all the info into the computer for that night.

Secretaries sooooooo do not get paid enough, let me tell ya! I got to the center three hours early for a different league meeting, gave the info to the house to get put into the computer, then prior to the start up of league night, had to make the announcements, pass out the envelopes, get everyone's sanctioning information, collect and count all monies, answer 5 million questions, place people on teams that didn't have one...oh yeah and I still had to bowl as well!! I didn't get to actually enjoy bowling or relax until the beginning of the third game and my poor team had to keep looking for me every time it was my turn to bowl! However, I was so very happy to help my friend in this way as I'm not the type of person that's going to cook meals or do something like that when friends are in the hospital, so in this way I was really able to help in a way that I knew I could! And thankfully, I didn't screw anything up! So, please, appreciate your secretaries because in all of my leagues, they are the ones that get bombarded with all of the questions regardless if they are relating to rules, money or anything else!

:)

Oh and I have run for board member, but haven't made it onto the board yet, so I'm still waiting for that opportunity/privilege.

onefrombills
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
WOW!!! :eek: :eek:

You most definitely do have a passion for bowling.
I bow to you "massah"

LOL
Thats Mr massah:)

TenPin
09-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I never held an office position, but have been Captain on most of the teams I've been on. This year I'm a co-Captain on the team, more co than captain, but seeing how I may not have been there for the first few nights of bowling, I turned it over to another on the team. I know this much, the captain has quite a bit of responsibility also, he/she has to make sure the team stays current or he/she gets nailed. You must trust your team to make sure they stay current or you have to kick them off or be held responsible for them.

Also, our house actually spoiled us by taking over the secs job, our league only needed a Pres, Vice Pres, Treasure to keep track of the prize fund deposits made by the house. We use to have a Sarg too, but I do not remember voting on one this year, for the last few years for that matter.

TenPin

onefrombills
09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
YUP you need to trust your team LOL

NOW GIVE ME YO MONEY !!!!!!!!!

Baroncad
09-07-2008, 03:04 AM
LOL
Thats Mr massah:)

Now is it Mr. Massah Moderator :p :D LOFWMP

onefrombills
09-07-2008, 03:23 AM