View Full Version : Pearl Hyroad - Darrell Lovell

DLovell
09-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Type of bowler: Tweener
Avg Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 375-400
PAP: 5 x ¾ up
Layout: 60 x 4 ¼ x 25

Drilled a Pearl Hyroad recently and I have to say I am surprised and the ball has given me a bit of surprise.

I used a layout that has worked to create a skid-flip reaction for me in the past but attempted to bring the pin to a more aggressive position. What I did was create a ball that is more benchmark than skid-flip.

I have thrown the ball on two different patterns: the 2012 U.S. Open pattern and a THS.

On the U.S. Open pattern the ball read the dry very strong but wiggled in the oil. Now, granted, most of my stuff that night wiggled in the oil so that’s not to be frowned on. What the ball did allow me to do was get deeper and play the dry with more backend reaction. The issue was that it would over-read if I got soft or around it. Again, that’s understandable on the U.S. Open pattern.

The THS I tried it on had a little more juice, but that ended up being a good thing. I was able to create room with this ball that wasn’t there with my other shinny stuff. However, the move in the back was consistent and not “violent.” What I really liked was that I could get in the oil easily and still have success with the ball finishing; something that my Victory Road Pearl would not do, although the VRP has more on the backend.

Overall, I think I’ve landed a ball that fits more the middle of my arsenal and not the true skid-flip ball. I can probably increase the VAL or change the surface to get that, but the ball is versatile enough to be very good with this layout.

Great buy for the money and another very good Storm product.

Darrell Lovell,
Staffer, www.bowlerx.com (http://bowlerx.com/Storm-Hy-Road-Pearl-Bowling-Ball-STHYROADPEARL.htm)