PDA

View Full Version : Do you use plastic, urethane or weak resin ball for spare pickup in your game on THS

Hammer
09-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I use my Blue Hammer with 4000 Abralon surface for every shot, strike or spare shooting. I know you are supposed to use a plastic ball for spares but I seem to do okay with my Blue Hammer urethane. What about you?

Aslan
09-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Same ball for all shots except a rare/tricky/impossible split. I don't have much hook, so I can hit the 10-pin with a consistent release and hitting my spot. The "problem" I'm having is not trusting my spot. As a right-hander, just before I release, I fear the right gutter...and end up missing left. Or if I'm fed up missing left...I try to move over an extra board or "push" it right...and in the gutter it goes. I "may" end up switching to my urethane for spare shots on the right side...but I am really determined to learn to make those spares with my regular ball.

e-tank
09-10-2013, 05:31 PM
in practice i pickup spares with whatever strike ball im using

in league i use a plastic

Aslan
09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
My situation is also complicated due to the fact that my spare ball is lighter, not drilled for my hand, and conventional grip. So for me to go back and forth...thats a LOT of changes. I think it was either Norm Duke or Pete Weber that said they don't usually use a conventional grip spare ball (some do) because it does more harm than good to switch grips like that. For me, I'm switching grips...to a ball thats not an "exact" fit and more than anything (to me)...it's lighter. Doesn't bother me too much...I have pretty good luck with it...the problem is the next shot with my strike ball...it feels too heavy and I often end up tanking the next 1st shot adjusting to the weight.

One thing I'm trying to deal with is...first shot of the night...it slips out of my hand and into the gutter. It's like it takes me a frame to get used to the weight. So the danger of switching to the 14lb and back again...is getting used to the weight diffference.

Bizwan65
09-10-2013, 06:38 PM
I have an old Brunswick Twister urethane ball I use for spares.

Stormed1
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I use a plastic Motive Sniper for most and a Polished pin down Ascent solid for double woo dpsres

J Anderson
09-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Right handed I shoot almost all my spares with a Columbia 300 White Dot. The exceptions are any leaves that would be covered by a strike delivery or that has a sleeper. I have been known to practice shooting the 10 pin with what ever strike ball I'm using, but in competition it's plastic.

Lefty I use my Storm HyRoad since I've been to cheap to invest in a second plastic ball.

mike_thomas93
09-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I use plastic. I use my Caribbean Blue T-Zone(:

J Anderson
09-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I use my Blue Hammer with 4000 Abralon surface for every shot, strike or spare shooting. I know you are supposed to use a plastic ball for spares but I seem to do okay with my Blue Hammer urethane. What about you?

As long as the ball works for you there's nothing wrong with using just one ball for all your shots. If you start missing more of those nasty 7 pins you might want to invest in an inexpensive spare ball. Until then keep on throwing old True Blue.

striker12
09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
i use both plastic and weak reactive balls i use my plastic ball to the the corner pins including the 4 and 6 pin but i use a weak reactive ball witch is my c300 freeze to hit all the other pins because i can put alittle hook in to the pins like the 2,9 i push the ball just out past the 2 and it moves in and takes then both out.

swingset
09-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I use plastic on any spare outside the oil, on any shot THS or not.

vdubtx
09-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I use an Ebonite Maxim(polyester) spare ball on all leaves on right side but the 3-6-9-10.

aussiedave
09-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I use my Blue Hammer with 4000 Abralon surface for every shot, strike or spare shooting. I know you are supposed to use a plastic ball for spares but I seem to do okay with my Blue Hammer urethane. What about you?I also use a Blue Hammer - not sure what surface he put on it last time!
I hear people say you should use a non-reactive ball for spares and I prefer this method personally.
However, if you have a shot you know you can rely on, then why not use it? Obviously, a straighter shot at corner pins is better, and a less reactive ball is the go for that.
ad.

wimsical
09-13-2013, 07:31 PM
I use the one ball I have that's currently drilled for me, my hammer brick. I do have another I need to take in for drilling, but that's a reactive strike ball as well, so not much difference really, I'm getting pretty consistent on 10's by flattening out my hand (I'd say around 8/10 conversions currently), much better than last year anyway.

GoodGravy
09-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Corner pins with Plastic, anything in the middle with strike ball. Still have to be real careful with plastic since I can get to much back end hook if the lanes get real dry.

MICHAEL
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I was using a sling shot, but have had even better luck with my new DV8 Lemon Drop! I went up to 16lbs and for some reason its much more accurate! I seem to be less likely to bring my arm/hand across my body with the extra pound! I also throw with palm up release.