PDA

View Full Version : Pin Up vs Pin Down

Bunny
09-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I see some bowlers have two of the same ball. One is drilled pin up and one is drilled pin down.

What is the difference in ball reaction?

Aslan
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I have no idea...but I hope if they were Storm Tropical Breezes...that they at least got two that were the same but had different smells. ;)

Stormed1
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Basically it is how fast the repond to driction. Pin up balls have a narroewe pin to VAL angle so as a result the repond quicker to friction and are therefore more angular. A pin down ball has a larger angle to the vAL and as a result has a slower response to friction and is smoother

e-tank
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Basically it is how fast the repond to driction. Pin up balls have a narroewe pin to VAL angle so as a result the repond quicker to friction and are therefore more angular. A pin down ball has a larger angle to the vAL and as a result has a slower response to friction and is smoother

to generalize it more stormed, would it be correct to say that pin down has more length and is more arc shaped and pin up has less length and more angular?

striker12
09-10-2013, 09:13 PM
ok the thing about pin down and pin up bowling balls is that.

pin up- the ball goes longer and has a snap on the backend giving and strong move.

pin down- the ball rolls out much sooner then a pin up and makes it nice arc into the pins and also makes the ball hook more becuase it will begin it hook much sooner then a pin up.

so if you had 2 bowling balls that are the same if you where throwing your pin up ball and it was hitting the pocket very light or not getting to the pocket you would witch to your pin down and it would hit the pocket and get you those strikes.

Stormed1
09-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Actually the drill angle drtermins when the ball goes into the hook phase. Most times the driller kicks the cg right which narrows the drill angle and as a result the ball goes into its hook phase earlier. My 3 dry lane balls are all pin down with layouts of 4x60x70,5.5x60x70 & 6x65x60. The longer pin to PAP cuts down the flare creating more length and the drilling andle get the ball down the lane also. My 2 hravy oil balls are the same ball (Sigma Hybrid) 5x35x35 (pin up) and 4x40x60 (pin down. Tye pin down due to the smaller drill angle starts at the arrows on a normal volume shot

MICHAEL
09-11-2013, 09:43 AM
thanks again Storm1 for the GREAT ADVICE!!! That makes it very clear! I am having my new Frantic, which I have only thrown maybe a dozen games, drilled with the new Tri-Grip system! Will have it ready to go for Thursdays league. Can't waint to see how it works out. I have talked to a couple other bowlers who had it done, and they LOVE IT!Will give you all Iceman's thoughts Thursday evening after league. Bruce, form BP Pro Shop here in Independence mo will be doing the plug, and re-drill!
Waiting for this, is almost like being a Kid waiting for Christmas! LOL

Aslan
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
thanks again Storm1 for the GREAT ADVICE!!! That makes it very clear! I am having my new Frantic, which I have only thrown maybe a dozen games, drilled with the new Tri-Grip system! Will have it ready to go for Thursdays league. Can't waint to see how it works out. I have talked to a couple other bowlers who had it done, and they LOVE IT!Will give you all Iceman's thoughts Thursday evening after league. Bruce, form BP Pro Shop here in Independence mo will be doing the plug, and re-drill!
Waiting for this, is almost like being a Kid waiting for Christmas! LOL

WHAT!!? You're throwing a Frantic!!? You STOLE MY BALL!!

I'm flattered that you're trying to emulate me though. Someday...when you've practiced enough...you too may be able to carry a 129 average.

NOTE: Be "careful" with the Frantic...the color attracts young girls. Last week I had a girl staring at me like those girls from The Shining. And finally I turned over and said, "hi." And she responded, "Hi. I like your ball. It's pretty."

Note 2: No, it doesn't work the same way on girls my age...I've tried...nothing...dammit.

MICHAEL
09-11-2013, 05:13 PM
No,,, I am not throwing the ball, did not like the way it snapped at the end! I purchased it when I got the IQ pearl, the ball that gave me the 300. I thought it would be a good ball down ball, when the IQ pearl got to be too much. WRONG! It Took a left turn, in the right turn lane!!! So it was a good ball to change the pin position, and also the Tri-Grip! I will use it tomorrow on our Thursday night league! At the present time I am using the Beatdown, as my starter ball! It working great, and keeping my average so far over 200.... Its 207,,,, I hoping to have a 210 this season,,,, that would be a ten pin increase over last year..

Aslan
09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
My Frantic doesn't "snap" at the end. I mean, it curves in towards the pocket...moves 4 boards rightish, then back 15. But thats on wood lanes. On synthetic lanes it's almost a completely straight ball with maybe 1-2 boards of "flare" at the end. Granted, I have 75-100 games on it and i have noticed a fair reduction in reaction over that time...even with the cleaning and everything. I've had to adjust 3 boards right and aim 1 board left to hit the same spot as when it was new.

Aslan
09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I am having my new Frantic, which I have only thrown maybe a dozen games, drilled with the new [COLOR="#0000CD"]Tri-Grip system!

So how much is that tri-grip drilling again? And what is it again?

MICHAEL
09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
My Frantic doesn't "snap" at the end. I mean, it curves in towards the pocket...moves 4 boards rightish, then back 15. But thats on wood lanes. On synthetic lanes it's almost a completely straight ball with maybe 1-2 boards of "flare" at the end. Granted, I have 75-100 games on it and i have noticed a fair reduction in reaction over that time...even with the cleaning and everything. I've had to adjust 3 boards right and aim 1 board left to hit the same spot as when it was new.

Maybe,,, JUST,,, MAYBE your ball doesn't snap, because you have already snapped yourself!! (:) Think about it!! I bowl on synthetic, no wood lanes around here that I know of anymore. I know the balance hole was not in the correct placement, according to Bruce, (the Pro), so when I get it back tomorrow it should be a lethal legal weapon!!! esp with the tri-grip!! maybe another 300 soon, or that coveted 800!

MICHAEL
09-11-2013, 09:28 PM
So how much is that tri-grip drilling again? And what is it again?

Ok just for you!
It cost 172.00, to have a new ball drilled with the Tri-GRIP, on average..

"what is it again"? ITs the Tri-Grip!! da.........LOL

Stormed1
09-12-2013, 12:31 AM

Yo say cleaned. Have you had it de-oiled?With that many games you will probably need to give it 5 or 6 baths to get all the oil out. It also can be because of your release that it does'nt snap. Was it drilled off of your PAP or just a generic drill? I have a customer that brought me a couple of generic drilled balls (pin at 1 o'clock). After determining his PAP I redrlled them with the pin over the bridge which in his case was 3 3/8 inches from his PAP. Now the balls hooked 10 boards more.As a comparison that same layout for me would have a pin to PAP of 5.5 inches and would be weaker. I have another custome that the pin would be at 6 1/2 inches from his PAP and it wiuld'nt hook on dirt. So kowing your PAP and what' your pins relation to it is very important

Aslan
09-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I think it just soaked up too much oil. I got excited after buying it and started bowling 10-15 games a week. I did one deep clean bath...it didn't really do anything. I'm pretty sure it's the reactivity because it snapped a lot more on the backend when it was new...same release. And I had it drilled for my hand...not generic. Not sure about the layout though. I'm a beginner so I'm sure the pro at the pro shop just did a rather tame/typical pattern.

I'm going to bring it in and have it opened/resurfaced by the pro shop...probably 1-2 weeks after leagues start.

But thanks. I have to admit I was kinda bummed when I heard how fast reactive resin balls soak up oil. Kinda defeats the purpose of a towel...I used to wipe off my urethane ball because you could visibly see oil on it. I've never seen that on my resin ball...just the occasional mark from the ball return.

Stormed1
09-12-2013, 08:19 AM
One of the things that will prolong the life of the ball is to clean it after every session woth a ball cleaner. Chemicals in the cleaner will draw some of the oil absorbed that session out of the ball before it soaks in. Also give it a bath every 30-40 games

vdubtx
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Ok just for you!
It cost 172.00, to have a new ball drilled with the Tri-GRIP, on average..

"what is it again"? ITs the Tri-Grip!! da.........LOL

$172 just for the drill or including the price of new ball as well? I thought you were just getting one plugged and re-drilled?

MICHAEL
09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
$172 just for the drill or including the price of new ball as well? I thought you were just getting one plugged and re-drilled?

lol,,,,, (:),,, I knew some of you would think,,, WHAT THE HECK,,,, that would be with a new, say IQ storm, inserts, and vise system! LOL
The cost to drill any ball, with this system is only 10 bucks more then standard drilling!

standard drilling 30.00
Tri-Grip 40.00 Here in Kansas city at BP's Pro shop...