PDA

View Full Version : Ball fit: How much palm should I be able to have on the ball?

Terrier
09-17-2013, 02:04 AM
I'm a relatively new bowler and have a total of three bowling balls. One thing I've wondered about lately is the fit of my gear. The two latest balls had their drillings copied from my original ball, which was drilled at my local pro shop. I've been toying with the idea of changing drilling of my finger/thumb holes, because I think I could get a lot more hand in my release if I could palm the ball a little more. So how much palm do you get in contact with a properly fit ball?

As of now, my ball fit seems okay. The span is fine, and I am gripping the ball without having to bend my thumb to hold the weight. My fingers don't ache even after a 10-game session. But as I stand on the approach and look at the ball resting in my hand, I notice that the only non-finger parts of the hand making contact with the ball are the base of my fingers, the webbing between my index and thumb, and the fleshy base of my thumb. In order to get my thumb into the ball, however, the base of the thumb has to compress a bit towards the palm (as if I'm trying to fit my hand into a narrow jar, if that makes sense). As a result, there is a small cup to my palm that doesn't touch the bowling ball. Is this typical for most?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I will work on getting a pic up, if it will help illustrate my current fit.

Hammer
09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Your palm should not be flat on the ball. If it is your span is too wide. You should be able to stick a pencil between your ball and your palm after the fingers are in. Remember, fingers go into the ball first and then the thumb goes in. Are your bowling balls drilled fingertip or conventional grip?

J Anderson
09-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Remember, fingers go into the ball first and then the thumb goes in.

Unless your name is Tommy Jones.;)

Terrier
09-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Your palm should not be flat on the ball. If it is your span is too wide. You should be able to stick a pencil between your ball and your palm after the fingers are in. Remember, fingers go into the ball first and then the thumb goes in. Are your bowling balls drilled fingertip or conventional grip?Thanks for the info. The balls are drilled for a fingertip grip.

I used to bowl no thumb on house balls until I started buying my own gear last year. Coming from that experience, I hoped that having the palm make contact would be better for loading and unloading during my release. After all, guys like Brad Daugherty and the two-handed bowlers hold their bowling balls this way, albeit without the thumb.

Terrier
09-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Almost forgot. Here are the pics. If I am supposed to put a pencil between my palm and the ball, I think I probably have too much space going on in there. What do you think? Second pic is just showing the span.

http://i.imgur.com/m60msyV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iopExvi.jpg