PDA

View Full Version : Practice Releasing Thumb Early

Zaxmazr
09-18-2013, 02:38 PM
This was one of the things which I am trying to work on.
And believe it or not, this video does a great job at displaying that.

Simple, yes, but this is all I needed.

Pretty weird way of practicing if you ask me!

http://youtu.be/dFh3TbGZRDg

got_a_300
09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
That is a very nice way to destroy a bowling ball LOL!!!

bowl1820
09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Bowling Tip of the Week - Thumb Position for a Great Release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSOorSbT0mI

Aslan
09-26-2013, 01:13 PM
That is a very nice way to destroy a bowling ball LOL!!!

I don't know if I trust "experts" who film their videos in apartment parking lots in Chester, WI.

Aslan
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Bowling Tip of the Week - Thumb Position for a Great Release

That looks totally awesome and correct...but I can't imagine thinking about that during my release. I have trouble remembering to keep my balance arm out so I can't remember trying to think about the axis of rotation of my thumb and forearm. Plus...and they don't really mention this in either video, but isn't it possible to pull your thumb out too soon?? Because I've had really severe issues with putting too much powder on my thumb and having it slip out too soon...which causes the ball to go DIRECTLY into the right gutter. And that causes me to be very, very upset and want to kick the ball return and punch the person on the lane next to me....both of which are NOT classy nor considered BOWLING ETIQUETTE.

Zaxmazr
09-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't know if I trust "experts" who film their videos in apartment parking lots in Chester, WI.

He's not an expert..he just has an old ball and figured 'what the hell'
I think it would be fun. I have old balls which are just sitting in my closet..

dnhoffman
09-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Best way I've found to practice this is to just try and keep your hand as relaxed as possible.

J Anderson
10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
That looks totally awesome and correct...but I can't imagine thinking about that during my release. I have trouble remembering to keep my balance arm out so I can't remember trying to think about the axis of rotation of my thumb and forearm.

Exactly, no one can consciously think about elements of their technique at the same time they are trying to execute that technique. As we learn better ways to throw the ball we, need to practice the changes until they become automatic. For the release, one of the best ways is the drill that Norm Duke demonstrates in one of his videos where he kneels on the approach. Very easy to do at home as long as you have a big cushion to roll the ball into.

I also tend to suffer from a lazy balance arm. When I notice that it's getting worse, I do a few one or no step drills at the foul line as these seem to encourage the balance arm to do its job ( otherwise I fall over sideways ).