PDA

View Full Version : Old bowler needs an update.

Buddha512
09-23-2013, 10:59 PM
My wife and I are just getting back into the game after about a thirty year hiatus. At that time, I carried in the mid 190's, and she carried around a 160 average. From what I've read, neither of those are any great shakes today.

It didn't take us long to see the changes in the game. Can you guys help us catch up with the times.

The first thing I read about is that the old balls we used to use are ancient technology now. From what I've been able to discern you have plastic, urethane, and some kind of resin balls.My last balls were Yellow Dots, and Three Dots as a point of reference. I have no idea what to buy, or what the pros and cons are for the various types. At that time most of the higher average shooters either used a finger tip grip, or a semi finger tip. Is that still the case?

Lane finishes: Back just before I quit, they changed over to synthetic decks. I'm sure they've changed even more since then. Along with that it sounds like oils and oiling conditions have changed. The few videos I've looked up show people standing way left, and throwing huge sweeping curves. That's not the profile I was accustomed to. Is it the norm? I usually shot out around the fourth or fifth board, with just about a five to seven board moderately hard hook at the end. As to oiling, all I usually saw was a block down to about ten feet from the head pin, or a Christmas tree pattern that most people tried to ride.

Please feel free to add any info I've left out. through two practice sessions, we're pretty much lost still.

Thanks,
Scotty

MICHAEL
09-24-2013, 01:11 AM
BEAM ME UP Scotty..... LOL,,, I am a trekie fan big time!!! So many questions Scotty, I would recommend you go to lockwood75 most general questions ask about bowling, I believe, and many of your questions will be answered, and if not, then some pretty darn good bowlers on here will help you out!

Welcome back to bowling, and good luck! I just started bowling for the first time, at age 62, and now almost 65,,, but had a sanctioned 300 a few months ago, that's how easy it is now with the new equipment.... Bowlingball.com has some fantastic deals on balls, and equipment.... enjoy!! later. Iceman/Michael

Aslan
09-24-2013, 01:28 AM
My wife and I are just getting back into the game after about a thirty year hiatus. At that time, I carried in the mid 190's, and she carried around a 160 average. From what I've read, neither of those are any great shakes today.

With those averages back then, with newer balls on today's lane conditions...once you get back in the swing of things...you'll probably average 20-35 pins higher than you used to. You'll have a distinct advantage because you'll get more strikes with today's technologies but you'll have the refined skills to pick up spares.

DLP
09-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome back!!! As someone who is new to bowling only within this year, I can say there is a lot to learn. My husband (who took a 20 yr hiatus) has told me as much.

The best thing I've done is listen to those around me and read whatever I can get my hands on.
There are tons of websites with great information (unfortunately some of conflicting) but as far as the "physical" components of the game, at least the info is pretty much consistent. Rob Mautner created an AMAZING group of postings on another forum that explains the basics of bowling balls. It is a long read but one that is chocked full of information and can be found here: http://www.bowlingintel.com/forum/thread-533.html

As to your two specific questions:
1) I don't see many conventional grips anymore. It is not to say that they aren't out there, it is just not common. Is it done? Yes. It's all about what you are comfortable throwing. I switched from conventional to fingertip relatively quickly.
2) On the long sweeping curves - it is what works for them. Some people throw long sweeping curves to get the ball down the lane, other throw a ball with a skid flip reaction where the ball takes a sharp turn off the end of the oil. And then there is every derivative there of between the two extremes. How you throw the ball and where you throw it from to figure out what works best for you will be unique. IT's how you make it your own :)

There is plenty of info around here and online. Just ask away and I'm sure someone will have answer for you!!!

Zaxmazr
09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Thirty years out from bowling...how did you live? I was only out for 4 and I was having withdrawals lol
Welcome back to the game!

Bunny
09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Welcome back Scotty and the Misses! My husband and I took up bowling about a year ago, so I can relate. It was funny, my husband started watching bowling since we were just getting into it. The matches he saw both had two-handers (Belmo and Osku.) He thought, "What the heck? This is definately not the sport I grew up with! I don't think I can take up bowling at 55!"

Turns out there aren't that many two-handers and the sport hasn't changed that much. There's still 10 pins 60 feet down the lane. We've bowled a fun league and there are plenty of people that are "full rollers" that bowl great games consistently.

Some things that I've noticed...

Don't worry about changing YOUR form. In my opinion, the straighter you bowl the more you take out lane conditions. Don't worry about throwing a massive hook. You both probably have great form and the muscle memory will come back.

Don't worry about the expensive, high performance balls. Find a nice low to mid range ball that is versatile on a variety of House conditions. They have plenty of hook. (Maybe Freakin' Frantic for her, Lights Out for you. These are just a couple of suggestions. On Bowlingball com you can enter lane condition Medium or Medium-Light for a list of balls that are good for you and your wife.) You might use your old ball for your spare ball. If not, maybe invest in a inexpensive plastic spare ball as well. Two balls should work fine for a casual or house league bowler.

Get to know your Pro Shop guy and driller. Make sure he watches you bowl before drilling! I went with the fingertip grip. You'll pick that right up! (Take your short list of balls. Make sure they carry all or most of the manufacturers. Brunswick, Storm, DV8, and Hammer are all good. Some only carry a couple of brands. He should match the internet price and with drilling it comes out about the same as ordering online and having it drilled.)

Invest in two, 2-Ball rolling bags with Rollerblade type wheels, not the tiny, plastic wheels. One for each of you. I ended up with a 3-Ball bag and I can't lift the damn thing into our truck! (Don't even waste your money on cheap carry bags. Save your back!) Online ordering is best for this.

Unless your shoes are in pretty good shape, invest in a good pair of shoes with interchangeable soles/sliders. They should last for years! Online ordering is good here too.

Good luck you two! Most of all have fun!! :)

Aslan
09-24-2013, 02:05 PM
(Maybe Freakin' Frantic for her,

(Don't even waste your money on cheap carry bags.

First she insults my ball...then she insults my bag. For the record...the Frantic is a MAN's ball...and strong, handsome, strapping men (like me) laugh at roller bags as we carry our boulders on our shoulders as our caveman breatheren did before us.

SIDENOTE: AWESOME TEAM NAME: Shoulders with Boulders?? Maybe?

Although...might want to re-think the bag thing...it is brutally heavy with 2 balls in it. I'm literally a sideways fart away from blowing out my back.

Oh...and she said the "FreakNFrantic"...yeah, thats a girl's ball. But the FRANTIC...a MAN's ball. I throw it. Iceman throws it. The asian guy who bowled on the lane 2 over to the right last friday throws it. And maybe not him...but me an ICEMAN....MEN...MANLY MEN. Men who may or may not have severe mental issues...but MEN nonetheless!!

Actually...get your lady friend a Storm Tropical Breeze. They make one that smells like cupcakes. I wish I was kidding...but I'm not. :mad:

Aslan
09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Thirty years out from bowling...how did you live? I was only out for 4 and I was having withdrawals lol
Welcome back to the game!

He probably spent a lot of time playing Grand Theft Auto.

Bunny
09-24-2013, 02:20 PM
First she insults my ball...then she insults my bag. For the record...the Frantic is a MAN's ball...and strong, handsome, strapping men (like me) laugh at roller bags as we carry our boulders on our shoulders as our caveman breatheren did before us.

SIDENOTE: AWESOME TEAM NAME: Shoulders with Boulders?? Maybe?

Although...might want to re-think the bag thing...it is brutally heavy with 2 balls in it. I'm literally a sideways fart away from blowing out my back.

Oh...and she said the "FreakNFrantic"...yeah, thats a girl's ball. But the FRANTIC...a MAN's ball. I throw it. Iceman throws it. The asian guy who bowled on the lane 2 over to the right last friday throws it. And maybe not him...but me an ICEMAN....MEN...MANLY MEN. Men who may or may not have severe mental issues...but MEN nonetheless!!

Actually...get your lady friend a Storm Tropical Breeze. They make one that smells like cupcakes. I wish I was kidding...but I'm not. :mad:

Settle down Dude. "Calmer than you are." :cool:

I said Freakn' Frantic. Not Frantic. (Although the Frantic is an awesome, very versatile ball and a good choice for either of you!)

And two ball rollers are not too heavy I assure you. It's the 3+ bags that are nearly unliftable, especially into a big truck!

"Lady friend?" It's his wife for goodness sakes!

"You're like a child that wanders into a conversation..."

See ya Thursday Michael Bowlton!

Aslan
09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Lady friend?" It's his wife for goodness sakes!

She's not his special lady, she's his ****ing lady friend. He's just helping her conceive, man!

aussiedave
09-24-2013, 05:18 PM

It didn't take us long to see the changes in the game. Can you guys help us catch up with the times.

The first thing I read about is that the old balls we used to use are ancient technology now. From what I've been able to discern you have plastic, urethane, and some kind of resin balls.My last balls were Yellow Dots, and Three Dots as a point of reference. I have no idea what to buy, or what the pros and cons are for the various types. At that time most of the higher average shooters either used a finger tip grip, or a semi finger tip. Is that still the case?

Lane finishes: Back just before I quit, they changed over to synthetic decks. I'm sure they've changed even more since then. Along with that it sounds like oils and oiling conditions have changed. The few videos I've looked up show people standing way left, and throwing huge sweeping curves. That's not the profile I was accustomed to. Is it the norm? I usually shot out around the fourth or fifth board, with just about a five to seven board moderately hard hook at the end. As to oiling, all I usually saw was a block down to about ten feet from the head pin, or a Christmas tree pattern that most people tried to ride.

Please feel free to add any info I've left out. through two practice sessions, we're pretty much lost still.

Thanks,
ScottyIf you still have good pace, you can go with the resin balls which do hook the most.
If you are a medium paced bowler, you can still go with the resin, but go with one that is not so aggressive. You can also try the newer style of urethane balls which can still hook, but not as much as the aggressive resins. They do offer a more consistent curve though.The plastics are usually only meant for straighter bowlers as they offer a cheaper alternative, but can be used for spares and saving your strike ball.
ad.

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I was a heck of a lot younger then, and just about had my mail delivered to the bowling alley, I was there so much. From what I've done the last couple of weeks, I'd be thrilled just to see that same avg. by the end of the season.

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks Donna for the reply and the link to Mr. Mautner's postings. It will be a definite read after I reply to a few of these other posts.

I know that a lot of my problem right now is just getting back into it. I'm amazed at the lack of "bowling muscles". That was a big surprise, but they'll come back. We start our new league tomorrow night. One thing for sure is that my new teammates don't have to worry about me setting my average too high.

As to the grip. I always used a fingertip grip, but seeing how severely balls react on the lanes today, I thought that a fingertip grip might make them jump right off the lanes. I also realize that I'm judging today's shooting based on a house ball. There will be a new one very soon, I've just got to get educated as to what kind of ball reacts in which manner. I hope I can find one that works on today's surfaces and oiling techniques without that huge curve. That ball profile never listened to me before.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Scotty

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Aslan,

Getting back into the swing of things, may be a daunting task based on the practice rounds I've shot. Getting back into the swing of things may take all season long.

Thanks for the reply.

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Bunny,

You struck a nerve. When I first started try to find out where the game had advance to in all these years, I ran across the term "two handed" bowler, and went WHAAAT? I envisioned some small child that couldn't pick up an 8# ball without using two hands. Then I see a YouTube video about some kid that threw an 800+ using two hands. That's when I had the thought that this isn't my game anymore. Luckily I discovered that while there is such a thing as two handed bowler, most of us still walk like a duck, quack like a duck etc. If I had to learn to bowl two handed.... Oh hell no.

I'm starting by picking the brains on here, but I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions if the knowledgeable shooters I find, once we get in our league.

Thanks for your reply.

Scotty

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 09:28 PM
No. No computer games for me. A friend lead me astray and got me started on golf. The problem here is this: You've heard people say "I don't have a competitive bone in my body". Well I'm just the opposite. I don't own a bone that isn't competitive. I'm not hard on my teammates or the competing team. I'm just hard on myself if I'm not doing as well as I expect. Translation, I get pissed at myself. Wife says I can't do that this time. I'm on my best behavior.

Thanks for the reply.

Aslan
09-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I ran across the term "two handed" bowler, and went WHAAAT? I envisioned some small child that couldn't pick up an 8# ball without using two hands. Then I see a YouTube video about some kid that threw an 800+ using two hands. That's when I had the thought that this isn't my game anymore. Luckily I discovered that while there is such a thing as two handed bowler, most of us still walk like a duck, quack like a duck etc. If I had to learn to bowl two handed.... Oh hell no.

2-handed bowlers are an abomination and should be banned from bowling. Just ignore them and hope that they go away...thats what I do.

Aslan
09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
No. No computer games for me. A friend lead me astray and got me started on golf. The problem here is this: You've heard people say "I don't have a competitive bone in my body". Well I'm just the opposite. I don't own a bone that isn't competitive. I'm not hard on my teammates or the competing team. I'm just hard on myself if I'm not doing as well as I expect. Translation, I get pissed at myself. Wife says I can't do that this time. I'm on my best behavior.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just teasing Xababur about the video game thing.

I'm the same way though. I almost gave up bowling altogether last friday when I bowled a 99. But then...Sunday and Monday...practice went better...so I'm back to Plan A which is to be the absolute most awesome bowler ever in the history of the world and be a famous pro. Plan B is to be just good enough to impress single moms and waitresses at the alley so I can get a little "naughty action" if ya know what I mean. Plan C is golf...but I'm even worse at that than bowling...so I'm hoping plan A and/or plan B work out.

Buddha512
09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Welcome back!!! As someone who is new to bowling only within this year, I can say there is a lot to learn. My husband (who took a 20 yr hiatus) has told me as much.

The best thing I've done is listen to those around me and read whatever I can get my hands on.
There are tons of websites with great information (unfortunately some of conflicting) but as far as the "physical" components of the game, at least the info is pretty much consistent. Rob Mautner created an AMAZING group of postings on another forum that explains the basics of bowling balls. It is a long read but one that is chocked full of information and can be found here: http://www.bowlingintel.com/forum/thread-533.html

As to your two specific questions:
1) I don't see many conventional grips anymore. It is not to say that they aren't out there, it is just not common. Is it done? Yes. It's all about what you are comfortable throwing. I switched from conventional to fingertip relatively quickly.
2) On the long sweeping curves - it is what works for them. Some people throw long sweeping curves to get the ball down the lane, other throw a ball with a skid flip reaction where the ball takes a sharp turn off the end of the oil. And then there is every derivative there of between the two extremes. How you throw the ball and where you throw it from to figure out what works best for you will be unique. IT's how you make it your own :)

There is plenty of info around here and online. Just ask away and I'm sure someone will have answer for you!!!

Donna,

I've just had my first reading of the threads by Rob Mautner that you linked me up with. You were right, that was quite a read. Right now I know that my head has an asymmetrical core, a high rg, a soft cover and it's about to crank itself right off into the left gutter, assuming a right handed bowler. Wife says my mind is in one gutter or the other all the time:rolleyes:. I'll need to read that thing four or five times more before it all starts to click.

Thanks again.
Scotty

Zaxmazr
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
2-handed bowlers are an abomination and should be banned from bowling. Just ignore them and hope that they go away...thats what I do.

Why? I'm actually really accurate with 2 hands. Shot a 200 game last week.
I don't see why it's a problem..Just because it's not your traditional shot?

Bunny
09-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Most of us old folk don't take to change easily!

In my opinion, (notice I wrote out the words, that's how old I am) it's looks kinda funky. I enjoy fluid, smooth, more traditional form. But that's just me.

True story...Quite a few younger bowlers (I'm talking under 20) have gone to Mark Baker for lessons. They want to bowl like Belmo. Turns out the torquing is hard on the back. Several of them had to go back to one-handed due to bad back problems.

And like Buddha512 stated earlier, he thought that "two-handed is for little kids..."

I rest my case. :cool:

But seriously, I truly enjoy the uniqueness that every bowler possesses. It makes things more interesting. Imagine if we all looked exactly the same bowling? That wouldn't be any fun!!

Bunny
09-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Rob Mautner created an AMAZING group of postings on another forum that explains the basics of bowling balls. It is a long read but one that is chocked full of information and can be found here: http://www.bowlingintel.com/forum/thread-533.html

Great link! Thank You!!!!!!!

DLP
09-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I had just posted this else forum...

Imagine if we were all cookie cutter of the same approach/release. We'd all be wearing white and black saddle shoes and throwing a black bowling ball and putting a 300 up every week. What's the fun in that?!?!

The different approaches and releases just add to the uniqueness of the sport. So do the neon green skulls on my black bowling shoes and my ball smelling like a pina colada. But I digress.

I've seen two handed bowlers that if they don't throw a strike might as well write any mark off to the wind (their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired). But I've also watched two handed bowlers that don't just crank the ball down the lane and pray for a hit. They have a method to their madness and it works for them. Why bash it? Frankly, it's just another way of doing things.

The only constant? Mathematical proof and the laws of physics come to mind as being the only two "constants" that are irrefutable. How you apply them and utilize them... to each their own :)
That is until we start bowling on another planet on in the vacuum of space.

e-tank
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Hey Buddha you could try looking into a urethane ball as those have a smoother more controllable hook if you dont want a stronger reactive ball. If you have interest you could look at the hammer blue hammer, motiv tank, storm natural, roto grip grenade, brunswick karma urethane.

Aslan
09-25-2013, 02:18 PM

I just think it's a joke. It used to be that you'd see 2-handed bowlers at cosmic bowling because they didn't know how to bowl so they just used 2-hands to get a crazy high rev rate and hope it hit the head pin. Or little kids would use two hands because the balls even at 6lbs were too heavy.

But, bowling is a simple game...so 2-hands, under-hand, over-hand, high loft...the bottom line is...if you can be consistent...the there is no "approved" method...so people can do whatever they want. And once a couple 2-handers made the Tour...one of whom is a young, handsome, dynamic personality (although in my opinion a classless jerk at times)...then people wanted to emulate them.

What happens if I bowl a 300 by throwing the ball between my legs? Or what if I develop a style where I just throw an 11lb ball all the way 50ft through the air and have it land on the headpin...and I can do it consistently and score? People would be upset. They'd look at those ways of bowling as "not bowling"...even though they WORK. Because thats not what bowling is nor has been for the last 90 years.

High rev rates, big hooks, thumbless and 2-handed bowling...these are all fun to watch...I just think it's had an overall negative effect on the sport. It's like in basketball...a team like in the old "Hoosiers" movie versus a modern team with high flying dunks and 7 foot middle men. The old way, the fundamental way...nobody wants that. In bowling, kids don't want to learn to shoot spares and throw balls straight at the headpin...it's not "fun".

And I also feel the 2-handed approach for MOST players...is a bad idea. Not because of the back issues that Bunny referenced...because those could be offset by less shoulder, wrist, hand issues of bowling single-handed...but I think it's a bad idea because the style itself is inconsistent. Belmo is great. That asian kid out here in California (Wesley Lee or something like that)...also very talented. But I've watched both of them recently in tournaments against strokers...and they lose. The 2-handed, high rev approach is by design less consistent...more affected by lane conditions or changes to the ball due to oil absorption. Belmo isn't great because of his 2-handed approach...he's great because he's constantly running 5 calculations in his head and is able to notice minute changes in the lanes. 2-handed/high rev approaches will give you your best chance at 300 games and striking...but they are hard to repeat consistently and nearly impossible to pick up spares...which is why most high rev players throw spare balls and many will change their release when they do..some will throw 1-handed at spares. I saw Wesley lose to a very tall, classic stroker in a junior tournament...Belmo lost the first major to Parker Bohn...a classic stroker southpaw.

If it was up to me (which it never will be)...you'd be required to have 2 fingers and a thumb in a bowling ball for sanctioned events. Otherwise...where does it end?? I get some pretty strange looks when I start lofting my ball 20ft down the lane...but there's no rule against that. The guy that has done some coaching with me...he has a 200+ average and lofts that ball 10-15ft before it lands. It works...so I guess it's okay. But "traditionalists" like me...I don't like to see the game get too far away from where it started. Too many 300s, 2-handed techniques, house oil patterns, reactive resin/high hook core balls...just too many changes for my liking.

Aslan
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
And I'll give you a "cross sport reference" to further explain my disain for the non-traditional.

I used to be a big, big paintball player. And there was nothing more fun in the world than getting together with friends and shooting at each other with CO2 powered pump action paintball guns.

Then one day...a guy showed up with a semi-automatic....then EVERYONE had to get a semi-automatic to compete. But because of that change...the sport became too expensive...because the rate of paint usage tripled and paint is the biggest cost. But I kept playing....had to go to fields and play against strangers. But then one day, a guy showed up with an electronic marker (gun) that ran on compressed air rather than liquid CO2. Because it fired so fast (up to 13x as fast as you could pull the trigger)...it also used a powerfeed mechanism to feed the balls at a high enough rate.

Then more and more and more people switched to electronic markers. And suddenly...paintball saw a decline in interest. Part of it was the rise of FPS (first person shooter) games on XBox and Playstation 2/3. Why pay to shoot and get shot (which hurts BAD) and get dirty and waste gas when you can play on your couch for free?? But it was more than that...the sport was also in decline because electronic markers changed the game. I used to play with 500 rounds at a cost of about $25. With an electronic marker...you needed 2 cases (4000 rounds) and the cost of the day of play increased to around $110-$225 dollars. ANd it was no longer about "skill" and "tactics" and lines of fire and movement and suppression fire. It was about who had the fastest marker. 10-year olds were suddenly winning games against ex-military...because the ex-military guys were shooting semi-auto and the little kid just got a brand new $850 marker for his birthday.

In paintball, the technology killed the game. All the woodsball players, the "base" of the paintball crowd...they all stopped playing. They got sick of the classless little punks with their fancy guns and their cheating and their dangerous antics (like increasing ball speed to over 300fps). Sure...those new guns were "flashy" and kids would see them and want to get one...it ushered in the X-Ball era where paintball is played more on a field of inflatable bunkers rather than the woods. Paintball was even on TV for a short time...and they made video games about it. But the numbers...have dropped. Fields have closed. There are still games every weekend...some colleges have teams...there's a handful of pro teams out there. But the same technology that made the game more popular, ended up killing it in terms of overall popularity.

I see this in bowling. Demographics and the economy and video games...bowling has been in decline for a long time. So, they tried to make it more appealing to a larger audience...ball improvements, weaker lane conditions, cosmic bowling, Bowlmor, less focus on league play and more on corporate parties and birthday parties. Now balls are flourescent and scented...no more black balls with you initials. And rather than watch Carmen Salvino, Dick Weber, and Earl Anthony...we have Sean Rash and Jason Belmonte yelling at each other and Pete Weber in his race car driver sunglasses yelling at the audience. The few kids interested in bowling aren't learning how to adjust to pick up spares...they're trying to figure out how they can make the fancy ball go right and then cut drastically across the lane. Heck, the most popular size ball on Friday and Saturday nights is the 5-6lb balls they have for little kids...because the teenagers just want to whip them down the lane at 23mph or get the rev rate to 700 and watch it hook.

Stormed1
09-25-2013, 02:59 PM
As mentioned above for bowling on a typical house shot you don't need the latest hook monster unless you have light speed. The Frantic, Freakin' Frantic, Lights Out from Storm are all good choices. Motiv's entry level balls called the Ascent are both also good choices. Along with the Cyclone from Ebonite, The Vibe from Hammer, The Freeze from Columbia 300, The Misfir from DV8,The Strike King from Brunswick, The 300 & 400 series balls from Track, The Shatter& Wrecker from Roto Grip. In a lot of ways it comes down to what's your favorite color. Talk to your pro shop, let them watch you bowl and have them make a recomendation.If I were to recomend something sight unseen I woule probably go either Wrecker or Frantic for you and a Shatter or Ascent pearl for her. If she has a little higher ball speed than average I would say either a DV8 Diva or 900Global Vixen or Freakin' Frantic

Buddha512
09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Hey Buddha you could try looking into a urethane ball as those have a smoother more controllable hook if you dont want a stronger reactive ball. If you have interest you could look at the hammer blue hammer, motiv tank, storm natural, roto grip grenade, brunswick karma urethane.

Thanks E-Tank. I was hoping someone would recommend some balls that don't run clear off the left side of the lane. I'll research every one of those you listed.

Scotty

dnhoffman
09-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Scotty, welcome back!

Find a reputable pro shop [/b] that is IBPSIA certified.[/b] that has a pro who will work with you. Getting back into the sport, if you go buy something that doesn't match up well or is drilled improperly then it could force you right back out, and none of us want that!

You may also want to take a lesson, to avoid starting any bad habits and to starts off on the right foot. I recommend finding a certified one through www.bowl.com

Again, welcome back and have fun!

Bunny
09-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Here are links to medium and medium oil balls:

Medium Oil Balls www.bowlingball.com/shop/all/bowling-balls/?Attribute_6=Medium

Medium-Light www.bowlingball.com/shop/all/bowling-balls/?Attribute_6=Medium-Dry

As far as manufacturers go between the two of us we have Hammer, Roto Grip, Columbia, DV8 and Ebonite . They are all good balls. And several manufacturers I believe are owned by the same companies.

We like what Storm is doing right now with sponsoring, education, and support. Our next balls will most likely be Storm. (I've got my eye on the Hy Road Pearl or The Reign On.)

Hammer has a two year warranty, although I haven't heard about how they are at honoring it.

I had a bad experience with Columbia 300 quality and they didn't back up their product. I will never purchase their products.

Brunswick is a name I grew up with and they're still in business! Their Marauder Mutiny looks pretty darn sweet!

Zaxmazr
09-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Why I see your points Aslan, I just feel like if something is working for someone and it is legal, then why can't they do it?

Just last week I saw this guy who actually hooked the ball between his legs. When we got there, we thought is was a complete joke. But it wasn't, and this guy was actually pretty good.

vdubtx
09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't see the problem with 2 handed bowlers the same as I don't see the problem with thumbless bowlers. So many variations of bowlers getting the ball down the lane is fine by me.

Aslan
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Why I see your points Aslan, I just feel like if something is working for someone and it is legal, then why can't they do it?

Not saying they can't do it...I'm just saying I don't reallly respect it and will tend to root against a person who bowls that way. Definitely never going to be a Belmo fan. They don't have to stop, but I don't have to like it...it's a 2-way street.

Zaxmazr
09-26-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't see the problem with 2 handed bowlers the same as I don't see the problem with thumbless bowlers. So many variations of bowlers getting the ball down the lane is fine by me.

Same, I just think it adds much more to the game. Very fun to watch!

circlecity
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I have no problem with it fact is I'm kinda jealous because I wish I was young again to start bowling that way. But at 45 I think it would kill me. Can't deny those extra revolutions.