PDA

View Full Version : JaMau24 Bowling Scores

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm in 3 different leagues, but since MICHAEL is on this site, and he is on one of my teams, I'll just post the scores for that league I'm on with him.

Week 1
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK1_zpsf9a3bbbf.jpg

3 Games -- Current Average: 236

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Week 2
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK2_zpsf47108ed.jpg

6 Games -- Current Average: 242 -- AVG UP 6 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 1452

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Week 3
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK3_zps1fc07ea2.jpg

9 Games -- Current Average: 236.78 -- AVG Down 5.22 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 2131

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Week 4
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK4_zpsf1ae74f7.jpg

12 Games -- Current Average: 245.42 -- AVG Up 8.64 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 2945

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 01:45 AM
Week 5
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK5_zpsf99094a9.jpg

15 Games -- Current Average: 244.87 -- AVG Down 0.55 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 3673

MICHAEL
09-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Jason/The Dude/Bowula,,, is the REAL DEAL!! I have seen many of these game.... and still not quite as good as The Bowling God Bill on this site!! LOL Maybe some day Jason, just keep at it!! LOL

Thanks for posting.... F R I C K E N NICE!!! You are the man bud!! I still think you should go Pro!!! Iceman could be your manager!! (:)

ICEMAN is good with MONEY!!! And HONEST to a fault!!!

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Jason/The Dude/Bowula,,, is the REAL DEAL!! I have seen many of these game.... and still not quite as good as The Bowling God Bill on this site!! LOL Maybe some day Jason, just keep at it!! LOL

Thanks for posting.... F R I C K E N NICE!!! You are the man bud!! I still think you should go Pro!!! Iceman could be your manager!! (:)

Hah! Thanks. And we're in FIRST PLACE, the most important thing. We cannot be stopped.

MICHAEL
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Hah! Thanks. And we're in FIRST PLACE, the most important thing. We cannot be stopped.

thanks bud!!! Iceman had a low 600 on league last night with JASON,,,, !! In fact about as low as you can get and not be a 600 series....Yes it was a 600!! LOL

vdubtx
09-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Awesome bowling. Sounds like Jason and my friend Mike could go toe to toe on the lanes. :) :cool:

MICHAEL
09-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Awesome bowling. Sounds like Jason and my friend Mike could go toe to toe on the lanes. :) :cool:

LOL,,, thanks vdubtx,,,, Jason/The Dude/Bowula, has evolved into a Super Bowler just since last year! Sure he will have an off day, but his off day is better then most mortals best day LOL (:). I have a lot of respect for Jason as a PERSON, and a Bowler!! When we started the Me vs Michael tread, we could beat each other on a given day, but now, I doubt I could beat him at all ,, unless he had a bad game, and I have a good one, which happens occasionally!

MICHAEL
09-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Jason gets incredible revs, and pin action! He has a very unique style of cupping the ball with his wrist! His delivery, and revs look a lot like a two hander! I sure he could explain it better! Jason,,,, are you out there.......hello.... ???

JaMau24
09-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Jason get incredible revs, and pin action! He has a very unique style of cupping the ball with his wrist! His delivery, and revs look a lot like a two hander! I sure he could explain it better! Jason,,,, are you out there.......hello.... ???

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it on the head. It's definitely not a style that I'd teach, but it's worked for me! Pretty much starts out like a two hand, only difference is, I use one hand and I DO have my thumb in the ball. It's all about cupping the wrist for me, which allows me to throw anyone's ball, even if the span is too big, or thumb hole too big.

JaMau24
10-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Week 6
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK6_zpsa3854ad3.jpg

Bad week. At least we won all the games and Mike shot a 725 for us!

18 Games -- Current Average: 238.56 -- AVG Down 6.31 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 4294

JaMau24
10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Week 7
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK7_zps31bbcfe1.jpg

Really did terrible this night. The whole team pretty much did. The lanes were kind of screwy, but that's no excuse. I couldn't find a line that would hold up. Had too many stupid opens.

21 Games -- Current Average: 232.57 -- AVG Down 5.99 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 4,884

JaMau24
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Week 8
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK8_zpsf2bfb2ba.jpg

My 6th Sanctioned 300, 13th overall. I also have 3 sanctioned 800's, and 5 overall. All since I started bowling again in Jan 2012. Practice pays off! I only wish I'd have switched to my DV8 Misfit Pearl sooner the last game. I switched to it the 7th frame, and got a strike every time. For those wondering, I've been bowling with my DV8 Too Reckless almost exclusively this winter season.

24 Games -- Current Average: 234.67 -- AVG Up 2.10 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 5,632

vdubtx
10-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Congrats again on your 300! You are 1 sanctioned game up on me. :D

I like how you can upload an image of your games. I will have to start uploading a screen shot of my games but won't be able to post pin fall like yours shows, I don't think. Is that an app that you use? I use PInPal on iPhone and haven't discovered all the bells and whistles of it yet. Great way to keep stats of the game though.

JaMau24
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Congrats again on your 300! You are 1 sanctioned game up on me. :D

I like how you can upload an image of your games. I will have to start uploading a screen shot of my games but won't be able to post pin fall like yours shows, I don't think. Is that an app that you use? I use PInPal on iPhone and haven't discovered all the bells and whistles of it yet. Great way to keep stats of the game though.

Thanks again vdub! Bowl another one quickly and tie it up with me! Nothing like a little friendly competition ;)

Anyway, it's an app called "Best Bowling" and they do have a free app as well. You can create up to 100 events on the free version until you can no longer use it, or you need to upgrade. I'd highly recommend just buying it for $4.99 (at last check) because it's amazing. It keeps track of everything you can think of.

vdubtx
10-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks again vdub! Bowl another one quickly and tie it up with me! Nothing like a little friendly competition ;)

Anyway, it's an app called "Best Bowling" and they do have a free app as well. You can create up to 100 events on the free version until you can no longer use it, or you need to upgrade. I'd highly recommend just buying it for $4.99 (at last check) because it's amazing. It keeps track of everything you can think of.

Cool. Probably saw it when I was looking at apps but since did not have reviews I didn't give it a second look. I use Pin Pal currently and is pretty good, but the info on images you post is more complete.

JaMau24
11-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Week 9
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK9_zps88401a3e.jpg

Lanes were really iffy on this night. I shot low, our other 225 average bowler didn't even shoot 600, our 207 average shot a low 600, Mike struggled as well, and Mikes wife did well after her first game. Just a weird oil pattern this night, so I'm not that upset shooting a 645.

27 Games -- Current Average: 232.48 -- AVG Down 2.19 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 6,277

JaMau24
11-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Week 10
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/WK10_zpsda66e6c7.jpg

Sanctioned 300 #7 and I believe 13 or 14 overall. All since I started bowling again January 2012.

30 Games -- Current Average: 234.80 -- AVG Up 2.32 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 7,044

circlecity
11-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice shooting! is this a typical house shot? Have you ever bowled on other oil patterns? If so, what do you shoot?

JaMau24
11-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Nice shooting! is this a typical house shot? Have you ever bowled on other oil patterns? If so, what do you shoot?

Thanks! Yeah, this is just a typical house shot league. I have bowled on other patterns in practice, and in some tournaments, and obviously it's a lot more difficult. I really haven't done it as much as I'd want to, and it's hard to give myself an average, but I'd say I've probably averaged somewhere around 200 (give or take a few pins) on PBA/sport shots. I'd really like to join a sport league, but every single year I run into the same problem, which is getting wrapped up into too many leagues and it being more money than I prefer to spend each week. I think eventually I'll join one, though.

Aslan
11-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't even think it should be an option. I mean, if a bowler is averaging >210 in a sanctioned league, there's really nothing more to prove and it's time to get that PBA card and take that next step towards tournaments or leagues with large cash payouts or maybe even the PBA tour. At some point the high school athlete has to compete at the college level and the college athlete at the pro level.

MICHAEL
11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks! Yeah, this is just a typical house shot league. I have bowled on other patterns in practice, and in some tournaments, and obviously it's a lot more difficult. I really haven't done it as much as I'd want to, and it's hard to give myself an average, but I'd say I've probably averaged somewhere around 200 (give or take a few pins) on PBA/sport shots. I'd really like to join a sport league, but every single year I run into the same problem, which is getting wrapped up into too many leagues and it being more money than I prefer to spend each week. I think eventually I'll join one, though.

I remember that summer league we did a different one every Friday, or was it Saturday night! As I remember you would win your share of them, and take the pot home with you on more then one occasion!! You adapted well to the various patterns, and I remember you winning the US Open pattern one night! It was a one night elimination, where you bowled until it was a two person bowl off for the prize money!

The pots were not huge, but big enough to cover the entry fee, and a night out on the town!!

I remember down in NKC AMF, I Iceman bowled a 275 on the turnpike pattern! Was told by the manager it was the highest score bowled that session! My
average would be much lower then The Dudes... but I have my moments... LOL ,,,, and at my age, that's good with me!

But You are the Dude!! I think with some practice, and bowling them more often you would handle them very well, and would be right up there in the 230's!

You through a very unique style of ball,,, and it looks like a two finger bowler, but you use your thumb hole. Great Rev's, and Speed, unbelievable pin action.
I can only imagine what you could do with that NEW DV8, THE DUDE!!

JaMau24
11-09-2013, 02:12 AM
I remember that summer league we did a different one every Friday, or was it Saturday night! As I remember you would win your share of them, and take the pot home with you on more then one occasion!! You adapted well to the various patterns, and I remember you winning the US Open pattern one night! It was a one night elimination, where you bowled until it was a two person bowl off for the prize money!

The pots were not huge, but big enough to cover the entry fee, and a night out on the town!!

I remember down in NKC AMF, I Iceman bowled a 275 on the turnpike pattern! Was told by the manager it was the highest score bowled that session! My
average would be much lower then The Dudes... but I have my moments... LOL ,,,, and at my age, that's good with me!

But You are the Dude!! I think with some practice, and bowling them more often you would handle them very well, and would be right up there in the 230's!

You through a very unique style of ball,,, and it looks like a two finger bowler, but you use your thumb hole. Great Rev's, and Speed, unbelievable pin action.
I can only imagine what you could do with that NEW DV8, THE DUDE!!

Yeah that was fun! We do need to consider getting in a sport league at some point, but I'll have to drop a league.

JaMau24
11-09-2013, 02:23 AM
I don't even think it should be an option. I mean, if a bowler is averaging >210 in a sanctioned league, there's really nothing more to prove and it's time to get that PBA card and take that next step towards tournaments or leagues with large cash payouts or maybe even the PBA tour. At some point the high school athlete has to compete at the college level and the college athlete at the pro level.

Well, to be honest Aslan, it doesn't just take an average of over 210 to think you can be a pro. In fact, you'd have to be so detached from reality to believe that. I believe I am no where close to being as good as those pro bowlers. For some tournaments, they are averaging better than me and they are on a PBA shot, and I'm on a typical house shot. If I got my PBA card, and competed with them, I'd get blown out of the water.

Again, consider this a reality check, but averaging over 220 isn't THAT difficult anymore and over 210 is a lot easier than that. If you want, you can check some of the pros USBC page and look at what they averaged in their leagues before they went pro. Most of them average AT LEAST 240 and some probably closer to 250 on typical house shot patterns. It's simply just way to easy for them. For me to be averaging 234 right now, it's really good, no doubt, but I'm no where close to being as good as them, and I'll never be stupid enough to believe it.

To even think about getting your PBA card and make the commitment to compete with the pros, I fully believe you have to be averaging 210 or more on SPORT or PBA patterns, and I know for a fact I can't do that. It's extremely difficult.

The PBA has very low requirements to get your PBA card. To get your PBA card, you have to have a 200 average in your most recent league, or a 190 average in a sport/pba league. A bowler with an average between 200 and 220 on a typical house shot has no chance at all to be a good pro bowler, and anyone between 220-240 better damn well be good at sport/pba patterns. A 190 average in a sport or pba league is a lot tougher than a 200-220 average on a typical house shot, but even still, to only average 190 on those tough shots is nothing when most the pros are averaging at least 220 on all those tough shots.

So why is the requirement so low, you may ask. Because the PBA appreciates your donation to them of $300 for a FULL membership as you go bowl their tournament and fail miserably.

vdubtx
11-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Most of them average AT LEAST 240 and some probably closer to 250 on typical house shot patterns. It's simply just way to easy for them. For me to be averaging 234 right now, it's really good, no doubt, but I'm no where close to being as good as them, and I'll never be stupid enough to believe it.

Absolutely agreed. Averaging over 240 on a house shot is a must for anyone looking to go pro. Couple regional pros in my Tuesday league that are averaging in the 240+ range. One of them, I had mentioned before on this board, is an 18/19 year old two hander that averages 250+. He will bowl regionals, but not go on tour. Couple of others that bowl in this same center that bowl regionally actually went and bowled in the WSOB. One placed 44th, another 60th, the last one 95th.

So, it is not as easy as you may make it seem Aslan. Maintaining an average in the 220-230's is a whole other level from maintaining a 210. Forget about 240's unless you can really just focus on bowling and not much else.

I would not think of even bowling a Regional event with my average currently at 231. Like Jason said, those guys are on a whole other level.

MICHAEL
11-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Well said, BUT, I am not sure you don't have what it takes to roll with the big boys! Maybe you could use more experience on Sports Patterns, but that doesn't mean you couldn't be as good on them, as you are on TYPICLAL House Patterns! LOL,,, LOL,,, Nothing typical about house patterns in my opinion!

House Patterns and lanes are never the same around here and you KNOW THAT,,, most times they are an enigma, and it takes a while to figure them out!!
They should call them: Untypical House Pattern Surprise! LOL

You have a gift,,, and its too bad I am not Rich,,, I would sponsor you for a cut of the action!! Don't ever think your not a gifted bowler! Do you have bad days, YES,,, do Pro's have REAL BAD DAYS,,, Hell yes!!!! Maybe Rich on bowlingball.com, is rich enough, and would be interested in sponsoring you, and that DV8 Dude would be a great start toward your PBA future!!!!!!

You have what it takes,,, Maybe not as good looking as Iceman, but you have the talent!!! Never stop Dreaming! Dreams are the stuff that reality is made of!!

circlecity
11-09-2013, 09:52 AM

Around 200 is pretty good for limited games on harder oil patterns. I'm at 208 now but am only bowling 3 games a week on a THS. So, I know that a sport/pba pattern would just eat me up for a while. But, eventually I would like to see how hard they are first hand.

MICHAEL
11-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Around 200 is pretty good for limited games on harder oil patterns. I'm at 208 now but am only bowling 3 games a week on a THS. So, I know that a sport/pba pattern would just eat me up for a while. But, eventually I would like to see how hard they are first hand.

Hard?? I don't think that's the right word for this reason! I bowled a 275 on a Turnpike last year, freshly laid down. Did I do it the first game that day? Hell no! lol,, but after I found out they were JACKING WITH ME AT THE AMF in North Kansas City,,, I worked on it,,,,,, different angle, different touch, made adjustments, and guess what,,, by the 3rd game I had a 275! The highest bowled on that pattern that day! I was not on that league, and it was my first experience bowling sport patterns, but I had read a lot about them. I remember the mgr telling me to take the sheet home and frame it!!

For a, (I hate the term TYPICAL, nothing typical about any pattern IMHA) , it can blow you away at first! But then you learn the way to play them, and its not as big a deal as most people make it out to be. KNOWLEDGE, is the KEY!!

KNOWLEDGE, Talent, and practice! Talent is the one thing you either have, or don't have,,, athletic gift for the game!! Jason you have that in Spades!!

Bowling Sports Patterns is difficult ONLY because one doesn't know how to adjust and attack it!

Aslan
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
JaMau…you're very good at making excuses why moving up a level is hard…but at the end of the day, any sport or hobby should be a progression. If you get good enough to bowl in tournaments…thats the next step. Good enough to win those…take the next step.

I never said it was "easy". Oh my God it's not EASY!! If it was easy, everyone would do it. But, and there are some very high profile bowling "experts" that would agree with me here, I think far too many bowlers are bowling on THS and never advancing. And they all have "excuses" or their own little reasons. But the bottom line is…if you're out bowling your league…you need a new league. And no…it's not that hard to find a sport pattern league. Just pick up one of those little newspapers at your local alley..you'll find at least 3 within driving distance. And to use the excuse that, "well…to win at the next level…I'd have to bowl like a 250+ average on a THS league."…well, okay. Then there's a goal…250…when you hit it…off to sport league ya go!

I used to be a runner. And I always wanted to do 10Ks or even marathons…but I was struggling to finish in the top 1-6 of my age group in 5Ks…so I didn't want to go to an even tougher class/distance until I could consistently finish well in 5Ks. So, I set goals and told myself…3 top 3 finishes…it'll be time to move on.

Most sports don't let you choose that for yourself…they MAKE you move up. We're lucky that in bowling it's our choice. But far, far, far too many good house bowlers aren't pushing themselves enough. Especially with the new technology that exists. And the issue here…at least the way I see it…and this is NOT to diminish JaMau's recent 300…but as these high scores and 300 games are becoming exponentially more common…they are being cheapened. I see a guy nearly throw a 300 game EVERY WEEK in my Friday league. And while it's still exciting…I'm seeing more and more bowlers not even give it much attention. They used to all gather around to watch…now, more than half the league kinda goes, "whatever". And thats too bad. Because if you're a 189 average bowler…and you have that ONE game…of your life…where you're 2 strikes away from the golden goose…thats a HUGE deal. But, and I kinda feel this way too…I'm starting to see league bowlers bowling 750 series EVERY WEEK…and it's almost like I don't like that person. Rather than respect their ability and cheer their accomplishment…I feel like I'm watching a college basketball player scoring 100 in a rec league summer game. I mean, how high an average does a person need to feel good about themselves? How many 300 games before…maybe ya swallow the pride and test yourself?

Ya know who I have mad respect for? The old, scratch league bowlers that bowl in the league next to our's on Thursdays. These guys are GOOD…and they go out every week…no handicaps…and they just go straight up against other elite competition. And many of these guys are pushing 70! If I see a guy with a 225 average and 3 three hundred games…then see a guy with a 189 average bowling in a sport league scratch…I walk right past the first guy to shake the second guy's hand…because not only is he good…but he's not afraid. He put his ego in his pocket and said to himself, "I know I'm good…I got nothin left to prove bowling against beginners…and now I'm show myself how good I really am." :cool:

I mean, is that "wrong" of me to feel that way? Should I just be super-impressed when the best bowler in our league gets his 8th 300 game of the season?? Should I go over and ONCE AGAIN shake his hand and tell him how awesome he is? Or is there some limit where ya just kinda give em a head nod or a thumbs up…or maybe just not care?

JaMau24
11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
JaMau…you're very good at making excuses why moving up a level is hard…but at the end of the day, any sport or hobby should be a progression. If you get good enough to bowl in tournaments…thats the next step. Good enough to win those…take the next step.

I never said it was "easy". Oh my God it's not EASY!! If it was easy, everyone would do it. But, and there are some very high profile bowling "experts" that would agree with me here, I think far too many bowlers are bowling on THS and never advancing. And they all have "excuses" or their own little reasons. But the bottom line is…if you're out bowling your league…you need a new league. And no…it's not that hard to find a sport pattern league. Just pick up one of those little newspapers at your local alley..you'll find at least 3 within driving distance. And to use the excuse that, "well…to win at the next level…I'd have to bowl like a 250+ average on a THS league."…well, okay. Then there's a goal…250…when you hit it…off to sport league ya go!

I used to be a runner. And I always wanted to do 10Ks or even marathons…but I was struggling to finish in the top 1-6 of my age group in 5Ks…so I didn't want to go to an even tougher class/distance until I could consistently finish well in 5Ks. So, I set goals and told myself…3 top 3 finishes…it'll be time to move on.

Most sports don't let you choose that for yourself…they MAKE you move up. We're lucky that in bowling it's our choice. But far, far, far too many good house bowlers aren't pushing themselves enough. Especially with the new technology that exists. And the issue here…at least the way I see it…and this is NOT to diminish JaMau's recent 300…but as these high scores and 300 games are becoming exponentially more common…they are being cheapened. I see a guy nearly throw a 300 game EVERY WEEK in my Friday league. And while it's still exciting…I'm seeing more and more bowlers not even give it much attention. They used to all gather around to watch…now, more than half the league kinda goes, "whatever". And thats too bad. Because if you're a 189 average bowler…and you have that ONE game…of your life…where you're 2 strikes away from the golden goose…thats a HUGE deal. But, and I kinda feel this way too…I'm starting to see league bowlers bowling 750 series EVERY WEEK…and it's almost like I don't like that person. Rather than respect their ability and cheer their accomplishment…I feel like I'm watching a college basketball player scoring 100 in a rec league summer game. I mean, how high an average does a person need to feel good about themselves? How many 300 games before…maybe ya swallow the pride and test yourself?

Ya know who I have mad respect for? The old, scratch league bowlers that bowl in the league next to our's on Thursdays. These guys are GOOD…and they go out every week…no handicaps…and they just go straight up against other elite competition. And many of these guys are pushing 70! If I see a guy with a 225 average and 3 three hundred games…then see a guy with a 189 average bowling in a sport league scratch…I walk right past the first guy to shake the second guy's hand…because not only is he good…but he's not afraid. He put his ego in his pocket and said to himself, "I know I'm good…I got nothin left to prove bowling against beginners…and now I'm show myself how good I really am." :cool:

I mean, is that "wrong" of me to feel that way? Should I just be super-impressed when the best bowler in our league gets his 8th 300 game of the season?? Should I go over and ONCE AGAIN shake his hand and tell him how awesome he is? Or is there some limit where ya just kinda give em a head nod or a thumbs up…or maybe just not care?

I see what you're argument is, but I don't like it. I don't think I'm "afraid" at all of bowling on sport patterns because my average will suffer and it will "hurt my ego", that's not the issue. There are 2 reasons why I'm not bowling sport patterns.

1. I'm in too many leagues and don't want to pay for another league. I'm in 3, don't want to be in 4. I like the people I bowl with, and it was too late to change my mind before the season started.

2. This is perhaps the biggest reason, and you may find this shocking... I don't really particularly care to go pro in bowling. Again, as me and vdub are telling you, think of how many bowlers there are in the US that average over 210, or 220. To just "simply to the next step" is not enough. It is incredibly difficult to ever be anything in bowling. Lets pretend for a second that I am on the fringe of being a pro, and I'm not, but go with me.... So I'd have to spend a lot of time and a lot of money doing everything I can to get the very best I could. Then, after I feel as though I can compete with them, I'd have to travel to regional tournaments, or get my PBA card and compete in Las Vegas, and more than likely get blown out of the water by some of the best bowlers in the world. That's more money down the drain. So consider all the money I've now spent (and blown) just to compete with the pros, NOW consider the fact that the 20th ranked bowler for prize money in the PBA last season, Nathan Bohr (who happens to be from around here and I've bowled against in a tournament) made $26,645.00. That's it. You can probably make more than that working at McDonald's for a year. That also doesn't count the money he spent entering tournaments that he did poorly in, and lost.

For you to actually make solid money in the sport of bowling, you need to be top 10, and that ain't happening from me, ever.

So to summarize, you gotta spend a lot of money, and if you aren't one of the top 15 in bowling, you're making crap for money. Bowling is one of the worst sports to make money in, and it's not close. A countless number of "sports" make more money than most bowlers, and that includes Major League Eating, and Darts.

While I do plan to bowl in a sport league to challenge myself, and have fun on different patterns, I have no hopes or plans of going pro. I'm perfectly content just doing it as a hobby, and earning my living other ways. Now if by some miracle I get ridiculously good at bowling on tough patterns, I'll reevaluate my plans, but I don't ever foresee that happening. That's not me being too harsh on myself, that's just me being realistic, knowing the odds, and knowing my bowling game.

I also want to touch on what you said not being a big as of deal for some to bowl 300's. I agree with you, it's not! It was awesome when I bowled my first one or second one, but now it doesn't mean as much. Let me be clear, it's still a rush, and I love doing it, but obviously once you do it more, it means less to those around you, and I'm fine with that. Hell, when they announce I bowl a 300 on the intercom, people barely clap because they know it's from me, and I'm ok with that, I get it. I still respect those who clap for ANYONE who bowls a 300 though, because it isn't easy. However, I will always be more excited for a 190 average bowler who shoots 300, rather than a 230 average bowler who shoots 300. Mike is averaging close to 210 right now, and I get more happy when he bowls a 300 than when I do!

Aslan
11-09-2013, 11:30 PM
@JaMau
I get what you're saying. And I was just suggesting maybe moving to scratch leagues, small tournaments, and sport leagues….not calling up Ebonite to see about getting sponsored for the Pro Tour and enter the WSOB.

Now, your numbers are "slightly" off in that those bowlers in the top 75 receive more money in sponsorships than in winnings. Actually, it's only the top 10-12 that money won starts to = or exceed their sponsorship money. But yes, you'd have to be in the top 15-25 to get noticed and sponsored…so I see what you're saying.

And again…it was in no way meant to be personal or in any way discount the amazing season you've been having and I congratulate you for. I just personally feel that some of these house, handicap leagues aren't doing enough to encourage some of their truly elite bowlers to "take that next step". How many lanes actually even dedicate 4 lanes to a sport pattern?? And bowling as a pro sport doesn't help because like you said, why would a person spend $1000 a month playing in tournaments and PBA regional events when the payoff is likely $16,000 a year as a pro?

The flip side however…and I eluded to it at the end…is…I have relatively little tolerance for top bowlers in my sanctioned league that whine about handicaps. I mean, if a team in a handicap league beats you by 100 pins on a night you beat them by 240 scratch…thats not "their" fault…thats your fault for being in a league you don't belong in. In that same respect, if you get 3-300 games a season on THS patterns…isn't it at some point not going to matter? Bowlers used to bowl in 1-2 leagues a week for 55 years…waiting for that one magical night. Like I said, now every night in my Friday league a person is in the 10th frame with all strikes through 9. 3 weeks ago, 290. 2 weeks ago, 289. Last week, 279. This week, 299. The 289 and 299 were the same guy. I just think at some point it becomes a joke…and I also think it discourages players. Imagine you're throwing a 300 and the person on the other team throws a 157. Thats your 8th 300 game. They've never bowled higher than 138. They're smiling and jumping up and down and feeling good…then they look over and realize…their BEST…is a game that if you threw it you'd vomit in the restroom. It's kinda de-moralizing if ya think about it.

But I guess my only advice is…don't limit yourself the way you are and vdub is. If you're afraid or it's an ego thing…whatever. It's for fun and some people can't have fun without being the "best". I get that. But if it's not an ego thing…don't be afraid to put your toe in the water. I used to be scared of casino poker tournaments…because these guys "know how to play"…not like the house games and charity tournaments I played. But…I made the move…lost and learned a lot at first…still learning (and losing a fair amount of the time)…but every once in awhile, I have those games or hands where I realize I'm good enough to be at the table with those players. It's the "next step" for me. You "may" (or may not) be at that stage…where you need to trim down 1-2 handicap leagues and try your luck with the big boys. AMT, ABT, etc… there are a lot of tournaments out there…especially in the St. Louis area…$25-$125 gets you a seat at the table. What would you be more proud of? Your 9th 300 game in front of Iceman and your other adoring followers?? Or a $2000 check for being the 2nd best bowler in a scratch tournament against some of the best bowlers in and around St. Louis??

IDK. At this point…I'd poop myself if I just threw a 600 series…so my bar is pretty low. But I have high expectations…and big dreams. I'll be in at LEAST 1 scratch/sport league if I can ever get a 190 average on THS. Will I win? Nope. But I'll compete. And I'll get better. And then I'll have other "next steps". I'm too young to "settle" on being the 6th best league bowler in a handicap league for the rest of my life.

JaMau24
11-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Well, this might come off as shocking to you, but there is not ONE scratch league in my area at the 8-10 bowling alleys within a reasonable distance of me (45 mins or so). Not one. Trust me, Aslan, there is nothing I'd rather do than to bowl in a scratch league. I know others that average high as well wish there was a scratch league around here. The problem is, they just wouldn't get enough interest or teams. That being said, 2 of the 3 leagues I'm in, a lot of the top bowlers in the KC area are in the league. Honestly, I was thinking about it, and I'm not even a top 10 bowler in this area I don't think. I can think of 10 or 20 people (maybe even more that I'm forgetting) I'd consider better than me, and I'm sure there is a lot more that are better than me on sport/pba patterns. In a 40 team league on Saturday, 5 person to a team, I'm the 6th or 7th high average right now, and that's just one league. That only has some of the top bowlers in KC. But I digress, anyway, it's just tough to get all the top bowlers in KC that would join a scratch league to all go to one alley on one night.

What our summer league did, that is full of bowlers that AVG 220+, was just lower the handicap a lot, making it 80% of 210, and most of the bowlers in that league were just bowling scratch against each other.

I really don't do well in (singles) tournaments around here either, because there are a bunch of great bowlers, and even though I don't do bad, it's that you HAVE to be at your best on that particular day. You know how hard it is to always have your best? If you don't have your best on that particular day, you ain't cashing any money, because there are so many great bowlers that will be at their best.

Again though, I'm not afraid of bowling on any pattern, or against anyone, no matter how poorly I'd do.

JaMau24
11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Week 11
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK11_zps9d2e4c3a.jpg

Wow. I've never bowled so well and so poorly at the same time. I feel like I easily left an 800 series to wash away, and a VERY NICE 800 series at that. Beautiful starts and terrible finishes.

33 Games -- Current Average: 234.91 -- AVG Up 0.11 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 7,752

JaMau24
11-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Week 12
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK12_zpsc5864567.jpg

Wow, I'm really kicking myself for blowing that 300! I just got the ball a little too wide of my target, and it hit the dry area and shot back right through the nose. Still a good night. We won 3 out of 4.

36 Games -- Current Average: 235.67 -- AVG Up 0.76 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 8,484

MICHAEL
11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Maybe you and I could fine a sports pattern Dude! I think I might sponsor you to go PRO if you get a little SPORTS Pattern bowling under your belt!!

I am sure you would do GREAT with that Fricken killer release you have! Let's make it a point to find one here in town and just Join!! IT"S TIME MR 235 plus to go in that direction! (speaking as your future mgr!)

My son Nick is now patrolling your neighborhood parkville , sworn in yesterday! Keep your sh@T straight now!! LOL (:)

JaMau24
12-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Week 13
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK13_zpse3452f3c.jpg

39 Games -- Current Average: 235.13 -- AVG Down 0.54 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 9,170

JaMau24
12-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Week 14
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK14_zps3a2c36a2.jpg

Wow, what a night this was. I couldn't get anything going, then I did finally find a line in the second game, only for it to completely go away the last game. Not a good night at all from me.

42 Games -- Current Average: 232.74 -- AVG Down 2.39 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 9,775

JaMau24
12-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Week 15
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK15_zps174d0540.jpg

My third 290 in this league so far this season. I was actually kinda surprised it happened because the carry wasn't very good for me.

45 Games -- Current Average: 233.29 -- AVG Up 0.55 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 10,498

JaMau24
12-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Week 16
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK16_zps411ea590.jpg

I started horrible! I didn't figure out the line I could play until the 8th frame. The second game was crazy too. Every shot was a perfect shot, and I left the whole back row! 10 pin, then a stone 8 pin, then a 7 pin, and a 9 pin in the 10th. I think that's the first time I've done that. Then when I finally had it figured out, I did something stupid, like miss a 4 pin in the third game! I'll get that 99 times out of a 100. I guess that was the 100th one.

48 Games -- Current Average: 232.38 -- AVG Down 0.91 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 11,154

JaMau24
01-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Week 17
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK17_zpsbdbf9249.jpg

I got my new DV8 Dude, without any practice games, and started out with it just fine! What a great ball. I love the back-end on it. Nearly every game from this point forward will be with the DV8 Dude. Nearly every game prior to this was with the DV8 Too Reckless. I'm looking forward to seeing what this ball can do for me in the future.

51 Games -- Current Average: 233.20 -- AVG Up 0.82 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 11,893

JaMau24
01-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Week 18
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK18_zpsb7b64006.jpg

54 Games -- Current Average: 233.46 -- AVG Up 0.26 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 12,607

JaMau24
01-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Week 19
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK19_zpsc463460f.jpg

57 Games -- Current Average: 233.18 -- AVG Down 0.28 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 13,291

Geneo2u
01-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Good grief dude, you have been tearing it up, its time for the next level..

MICHAEL
01-17-2014, 10:06 AM
That's an awfully lonely level,,, 233..... Not many can honestly say they have an average like that on a 5 person team especially!! 10 people bowling on lanes changing the oil, and making constant adjustments!! GREAT BOWING Dude!!

vdubtx
01-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Nice bowling Jason!!!
Noticed a very weird leave in your week 17 recap, the 3-4-6-10 game 3. Must have really dropped speed and went way straight to leave that.

JaMau24
01-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Good grief dude, you have been tearing it up, its time for the next level..

That's an awfully lonely level,,, 233..... Not many can honestly say they have an average like that on a 5 person team especially!! 10 people bowling on lanes changing the oil, and making constant adjustments!! GREAT BOWING Dude!!

Nice bowling Jason!!!

Thanks Guys! Maybe we'll get on a sport league or something next season, Gene and Mike.

Noticed a very weird leave in your week 17 recap, the 3-4-6-10 game 3. Must have really dropped speed and went way straight to leave that.

Yeah, that was strange vdub. If I remember correctly, I think I just missed wide, and it came back real strong and went through the nose pretty high. But yeah, usually you'd see the 7 pin instead of the 4. If I remember correctly, I think I'd have picked it up if it was the 7 pin because I missed the split just behind the 4! Just made it more difficult! Oh well.

JaMau24
02-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Week 20
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK20_zpsc7bd34cf.jpg

60 Games -- Current Average: 233.83 -- AVG Up 0.65 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 14,030

JaMau24
02-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Week 21
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK21_zpsaedbcbbd.jpg

The fill ball in the 10th frame of the second game I purposely missed the spare to throw a practice (strike) shot with a different ball since I didn't like how things were going. I ended up switching to the Too Reckless the last game and salvaged the night.

63 Games -- Current Average: 233.70 -- AVG Down 0.13 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 14,723

JaMau24
02-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Week 22
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/astroph/Bowling/WK22_zpsdd351f04.jpg

Well that was a stupid way to start the first and second game... I was just hoping to get a mark in the 3rd game for the first frame! lol. I nearly had a 300, but I'm not that upset about it because it wouldn't have been a very good one. I had a few lucky strikes the first half of the game. I was shocked that I even got that many strikes the last game considering the carry wasn't very good the first two games.

66 Games -- Current Average: 234.29 -- AVG Up 0.59 Pins From Last Week -- Total Pinfall: 15,463

circlecity
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Since you throw so many strikes do you practice your spare shooting at all?

vdubtx
02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Nice shooting as usual Jason. The 2 10 pin leaves would have me frustrated as heck. Last week I started both of my first 2 games with a 10 pin leave. Missed the first converted the second.

JaMau24
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Since you throw so many strikes do you practice your spare shooting at all?

I haven't practiced bowling in over a year. I used to be dead on for my 10 pins, but since I quit practicing I've missed them more. I know I could fix the issue with even just one solid practice devoted towards converting them, but I'm pretty much only bowling leagues and a few local tournaments, and for the tournaments, I'm very good at picking them up. I think it's more of a focus issue than anything, since it's league bowling. But yeah, I don't like missing them, and even though my average is already that high, I'd bet if I just picked up 90% of them my average would be a few pins higher. For this league this season, I've picked up 43/52 10 pins (82%). Aside from that, I've converted 80 out of the other 83 single pins (missed two 4 pins, and a 7). And obviously the majority of the other opens are splits.

Nice shooting as usual Jason. The 2 10 pin leaves would have me frustrated as heck. Last week I started both of my first 2 games with a 10 pin leave. Missed the first converted the second.

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't very happy, especially after my bad night on Wednesday. I was happy I rebounded from those poor starts and finished with a good night. I've changed my line again on 10 pins, so we'll see how this new one does. I did well yesterday picking them up.