PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever read a "bad" ball review??

Aslan
10-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I've come across a few ball reviews here and there on the internet...and most seem to be by the manufacturer...so it's not like Brunswick is going to release the "Strike King" and then comment..."Yeah, this ball sucks...don't buy it."

But after reading a lot of different reviews of different balls and different companies...it seems like a "bad" ball review by ANYONE is rather rare. It's so ridiculous...that I honestly don't even really read reviews...because I figure they're all just essentially "advertisements". And I like watching the videos (ball reaction)...but if you watch those videos...you'd think that the ball will get you a 900 series since the video shows 1-3 bowlers bowling X-X-X-X-X-etc...

circlecity
10-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I agree with you as I have yet to see a "bad" review for the most part. I think all the newer balls probably all are top quality. the only mistake the bowler can make is choosing the wrong ball for their bowling style and or league lanes.

e-tank
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
the only bad reviews ive seen are people mad that they cant hook the ball like the 600rpm crankers can in the promo vids. Balls arent magic. I dont see how a ball could be bad if you use it for the condition it was meant for, get it drilled up to match your game and adjust the surface as necessary

Mudpuppy
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't pay any heed to the reviews. I mainly look at what the ball is made for and go by that.

dnhoffman
10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't pay any heed to the reviews. I mainly look at what the ball is made for and go by that.

Same here. Reaction videos and ball reviews are a waste of time IMO.

dnhoffman
10-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I take that back... There is a storm staffer named Michael who goes by sk8 on youtube who makes GREAT ball review (and other) videos. He reviews storm balls only obviously, but shows how they compare and compliment to others very well.

Stormed1
10-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Reviews written by "staffers" are never going to be bad. That being said there are a few "staffers" who's reviews I pay close attention to. For Storm/Roto you can't beat Jeff Richgels (Riggs). What I like about his reviews is the fact that like all of us he doesn't match up with every ball he drills. If he has that happen he will tell us in the review. He will tell why he didn't match up and what style he feels the ball will match up better to. For Motiv I rely on Angela Wilt (Motiv Girl) Very informative and accurate reviews and her videos show misses too, Also Mattyg does good Mowiv videos also

Aslan
10-08-2013, 03:27 AM
The type of reviews I actually enjoy...more so the type of videos of ball reaction I enjoy...are where the company releasing the ball uses 3-5 bowlers with very different styles. I appreciate this, because I am an old skool stroker...so seeing some semi-pro cranker 2-handing a ball or doing a Rhino Page impersonation...tells me nothing about how the ball will react for me.

circlecity
10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
The video reviews where they just throw the ball seem like a waste of time to watch although can be entertaining for a bit. I need some info and commentary about the ball and what sort of style and lane conditions would work best.

MICHAEL
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
No!....... ..... ....:D

fleezy
10-08-2013, 08:03 PM
First time post here. I have yet to see a bad ball review as well. As far as the videos, I just try to gauge the way the ball reads the lanes and the reaction of the ball because I can only hope to throw a ball 17-18 mph with 350+ revs. If I could do that consistently, I have a feeling I could be a much better bowler! :cool:

Terrier
10-09-2013, 01:14 AM
When a PBA pro throws a "weak" ball from the next lane over and gets it to slam the pocket, it really discredits the review. I think the reviewers must like showing the ball turning left so the manufacturers send more free equipment to try.

So where do you see these good ball reviews? Just wondering where the less biased reviews can be found. I like TamerBowling.com, especially when they have digitrax from low/medium rev players. Somehow those guys weren't around during the review for the Byte. :(

circlecity
10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
When a PBA pro throws a "weak" ball from the next lane over and gets it to slam the pocket, it really discredits the review. I think the reviewers must like showing the ball turning left so the manufacturers send more free equipment to try.

So where do you see these good ball reviews? Just wondering where the less biased reviews can be found. I like TamerBowling.com, especially when they have digitrax from low/medium rev players. Somehow those guys weren't around during the review for the Byte. :(

That tamer bowling is pretty good. If your looking for videos check out my link in signature, the site has a lot of bowling videos.

Aslan
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm just super stoked that I finally posted a topic people generally agree with!!! GO Me!!!

JaMau24
10-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I was talking about this the other day... It's all bologna. They say the same stuff every time about a different ball. Quite frankly, they are all good. Undrilled balls have different cores, coverstocks, RG values, and to be quite honest, you can get any ball to react nearly the same with the finish you have on it, the drilling pattern, and the balance hole. The only way I even buy a ball now is:

A. Is it strong or weak?
B. Is it dull or polished (granted you can change that yourself)
C. The color design

Nothing else is important to me, because they are all good. Every ball review you're going to hear the same crap, and frankly, watching the ball thrown down the lane doesn't help that much either because they more than likely throw it a lot different than you, and they are going to have a different drilling pattern. No two bowling balls are drilled and react the exact same way!