PDA

View Full Version : Surprise at the pro-shop

dutchlefty
10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
This is a strange story.. a few days ago i had my new ball drilled by one of Norways best bowlers. He has also a little pro-shop. I brought one of my other balls so he could watch me play and get an impression.
When he checked my ball he told me that it was actually illegal to use it in league play. The ball was way out of balance. I was really surprised. I got it drilled at a pro-shop in the Netherlands. How could this be possible? He was also really surprised by how the angle of my thumhole was drilled. All in all i got a new grip on the new ball and had my other one re-drilled + he drilled a balance hole.
I have balls drilled by four different persons. All of them have different points of view on how to drill and grip-fits. But this time i think i've found the one who 'fits' me best.

MICHAEL
10-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I think drillers can be a lot like artist! They each have their own style, and method of tweaking a ball! (:) But the ball that was drilled illegal, well the driller should have had a scale to check that before letting you out the door! Hummm...

Stormed1
10-10-2013, 03:05 AM
I can't count the number of balls that have come into the shop illegal because the shop that drilled them don't have or use a scale

Aslan
10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, I guess before going to Spring Nationals in 2014, I'm gonna have to have a pro shop look at my balls to make sure they're legal.

I think the reason behind this "phenomenon" is that many, many balls are drilled for casual league players and recreational bowlers. So the pro shop just drills them the way they feel would be best for that player...and the furthest thing from their mind is legality/tournament rules. I also think pro shops got "lazy" due to the USBC no longer reviewing balls after 300 games. In the old days, it would be a huge, big deal if you pro shop guy drilled a ball illegally, the bowler rolls his first 300, sends his ball into the USBC for inspection/validation, and the USBC comes back with, "While we congratulate you on you solid performance on XX/XX/XXXX; we regret to inform you that said performance cannot be officially registered as the ball used does not meet USBC specifications (see details below)."

Mike White
10-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Well, I guess before going to Spring Nationals in 2014, I'm gonna have to have a pro shop look at my balls to make sure they're legal.

I think the reason behind this "phenomenon" is that many, many balls are drilled for casual league players and recreational bowlers. So the pro shop just drills them the way they feel would be best for that player...and the furthest thing from their mind is legality/tournament rules. I also think pro shops got "lazy" due to the USBC no longer reviewing balls after 300 games. In the old days, it would be a huge, big deal if you pro shop guy drilled a ball illegally, the bowler rolls his first 300, sends his ball into the USBC for inspection/validation, and the USBC comes back with, "While we congratulate you on you solid performance on XX/XX/XXXX; we regret to inform you that said performance cannot be officially registered as the ball used does not meet USBC specifications (see details below)."

In the "old days" i.e. when I shot my 300, they sent a guy out to the bowling alley that night to inspect the lane, oil, pins, ball, pretty much everything related to the game.

There was no send the ball in and wait.

Then again, there were far fewer 300's being shot.

DLP
10-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I haven't been bowling very long, but I talk to my pro enough to know it's common. The one I work with is constantly weighing and checking. I think he's had his fair share of balls that he's had to adjust.

I'm not sure if it is because he's a damn good Pro, or bowls the Senior tour and they are sticklers ... or maybe a little bit of both.

Zaxmazr
10-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Pretty sure at some of the major open tournaments, they usually check balls there if need be.

noeymc
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM

are you bowling in it? if so why with a 164 avg i am not talking **** so dont take it that way wouldnt u want to increase your avg before trying to bowl against some of the best

Aslan
10-15-2013, 01:10 AM
are you bowling in it? if so why with a 164 avg i am not talking **** so dont take it that way wouldnt u want to increase your avg before trying to bowl against some of the best

I know...I know. Spring Nationals isn't until April. And I don't plan on winning or even placing. I'd just be doing it for the experience. My Goals this season were:

- Try for a clean game every time.
- 525+ series each night
- Have a sanctioned 170+ average by the middle of March when sanctioned league ends.
- Go to one amateur tournament (for the experience)

Haven't had much luck with the "clean games". But 2 out of 3 weeks I had a series over 525. And my average started out at 182, dropped to 180, and now to 165...but I'm in the "ballpark" of my target.

J Anderson
10-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I know...I know. Spring Nationals isn't until April. And I don't plan on winning or even placing. I'd just be doing it for the experience.

Nothing wrong with doing something for the experience, (except for playing Russian roulette), but I would start off a little smaller. A local USBC tournament would be much less costly to participate; lower entry fee, no hotel cost, lower travel expenses. Also you might find one at a center where you have bowled before, so while the oil pattern may be different, being in a familiar environment would offset any nerves from competing in a tournament format

vdubtx
10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure at some of the major open tournaments, they usually check balls there if need be.

Yes, at Nationals they check each and every ball you are going to use on several scales to check for out of balance weighting. They do this during check in for the team event. They do not check again for Doubles/Singles.

Aslan
10-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Nothing wrong with doing something for the experience, (except for playing Russian roulette), but I would start off a little smaller. A local USBC tournament would be much less costly to participate; lower entry fee, no hotel cost, lower travel expenses. Also you might find one at a center where you have bowled before, so while the oil pattern may be different, being in a familiar environment would offset any nerves from competing in a tournament format

Thats an option. I keep my eyes open...but I figure half the people bowling in the local tournaments here are going to be the same people bowling at the bigger tournaments in Vegas (3.5 hour drive)...so the only difference is less travel and tournament cost...but with a "less cool" experience. But...still a LONG way off....LONG way off.