PDA

View Full Version : Particle ball for oil carrydown?

e-tank
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Made a thread about this a couple months ago. After league yesterday, my interest has been revived for a particle as there was ridiculous carrydown yesterday. My league does not clean backends before league, they just re dress the heads. Since i bowl on sundays theres always a family party with people throwing plastic balls down lane all day so by the time league comes theres always some degree of carry down in pretty much all parts of the backend which usually rules out moving inside or outside. Options i see would be to take one of my solids and sand it to around 1000grit to get a earlier read, sand my pearl as those are made with particle aspects like mica, or buy a particle ball for the carrydown. What do you guys think?

sprocket
10-14-2013, 10:43 PM
I can't imagine spending the money for a new particle ball to bowl on a league where open bowlers have been bowling all day long and they just add oil to the heads. That is true, legit carry down. In reality during a typical league there is not much if any carrydown because modern balls pull oil off the lane and the oil sticks to the ball. Sometimes what seems like carry down is just more oil in the center when you are forced to move in because the heads are drying up.

In your case though, you really are dealing with what could be severe carrydown. I wonder if just a cheap, dull regular urethane ball might be the best choice.

e-tank
10-14-2013, 11:00 PM
I can't imagine spending the money for a new particle ball to bowl on a league where open bowlers have been bowling all day long and they just add oil to the heads. That is true, legit carry down. In reality during a typical league there is not much if any carrydown because modern balls pull oil off the lane and the oil sticks to the ball. Sometimes what seems like carry down is just more oil in the center when you are forced to move in because the heads are drying up.

In your case though, you really are dealing with what could be severe carrydown. I wonder if just a cheap, dull regular urethane ball might be the best choice.

itd be a used particle so it wouldnt be that much. And i agree that under normal conditions itd be either heavy head oil or ball burning up which would warrant a inside or outside move. I would be open to a urethane as i already have one

MICHAEL
10-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Our Monday night league started out great, had some good scores, but boy did it go to heck during the 3 game, with 10 of us, all right handed bowling on the lanes!! I have decided that to really get the great averages, and high scores, its much better to bowl on 2 person teams! I might do more of that! Another advantage is it moves much faster!! Which I like!!

J Anderson
10-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Our Monday night league started out great, had some good scores, but boy did it go to heck during the 3 game, with 10 of us, all right handed bowling on the lanes!! I have decided that to really get the great averages, and high scores, its much better to bowl on 2 person teams! I might do more of that! Another advantage is it moves much faster!! Which I like!!

Or come over to the sinister side.;)

MICHAEL
10-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Or come over to the sinister side.;)

I might give left handed a try!! lol!!! must be sweet to have that wonderful path to glory on a given night! No one moving, pushing, removing your oil!! :p

Mudpuppy
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I would think a dull urethane ball as well but the ball will also soak up significantly more oil so you may be dealing with compounded problems - you might end up throwing the ball from the parking lot to avoid overhooking (also a crime here in Michigan on 8 mile road).

e-tank
10-15-2013, 03:20 PM
I would think a dull urethane ball as well but the ball will also soak up significantly more oil so you may be dealing with compounded problems - you might end up throwing the ball from the parking lot to avoid overhooking (also a crime here in Michigan on 8 mile road).

if youre referring to urethanes, they dont soak up nearly as much oil as a resin does. If youre talking about particle, i agree lol

ill bring my urethane with my next league night and see how it performs

EDIT: after doing some research, urethane isnt very good for carry down lol

Mudpuppy
10-15-2013, 05:01 PM
if youre referring to urethanes, they dont soak up nearly as much oil as a resin does. If youre talking about particle, i agree lol

ill bring my urethane with my next league night and see how it performs

yes I appreciate the correction. the porous ball, lol.

Stormed1
10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
If you're on true carry down a particle ball would be your best choice. If you can find one the original Storm Shift would be a good choice

e-tank
10-15-2013, 07:47 PM
If you're on true carry down a particle ball would be your best choice. If you can find one the original Storm Shift would be a good choice

tis indeed true carrydown. I was looking at the lane #1 maxxx curve as its newer and can be bought used for a reasonable price. A new one was just released by lane masters called the big bang se but i dont see the point in spending new ball money on a very condition specific ball as i read that particles dont take well to surface changes.

EDIT: Any tips on if i should look at one with a light, medium, or heavy particle load? I was looking at the lane 1 curve and i see that its a light load whereas the maxx curve is a heavy load

e-tank
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
bump

encase anyone has any ideas