PDA

View Full Version : Where are the moderators?????

circlecity
10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
You know it only takes a few people to derail a lot of threads and people will stop coming here.

e-tank
10-16-2013, 07:47 PM
to what threads are you referring?

bowl1820
10-16-2013, 08:20 PM
You know it only takes a few people to derail a lot of threads and people will stop coming here.

Moderators, Well I'm about the only one left or at least the only one left who even kinda of cares.

striker12
10-16-2013, 08:26 PM

thats not the only reason why people are not coming here anymore theres alot of other reasons but im not going to say any.

Aslan
10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
to what threads are you referring?

Yeah. I mean, it might be an "age thing". I've noticed some of the older users tend to get rubbed the wrong way over things that are really kinda "tame" for the internet. Not sure if it's an "age thing" or not...just a theory.

I personally think that "derailing" is more the product of relatively few users. A site with 70,000 people where 250 are logged on posting at any given time...threads tend to stay more on topic. But I've come in here and see the same person's username next to 17 threads...and I've done that too. With a small sample size of active users...the same people with the same agenda and history with each other can inadvertantly go off topic. I don't think it's intentional. Like me, Iceman, and Mudpuppy started talking about motorcycles in the bowling alley thread. It just kinda got off topic...not intentionally.

I don't know...is that the kind of thing ccity is talking about??

e-tank
10-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah. I mean, it might be an "age thing". I've noticed some of the older users tend to get rubbed the wrong way over things that are really kinda "tame" for the internet. Not sure if it's an "age thing" or not...just a theory.

I personally think that "derailing" is more the product of relatively few users. A site with 70,000 people where 250 are logged on posting at any given time...threads tend to stay more on topic. But I've come in here and see the same person's username next to 17 threads...and I've done that too. With a small sample size of active users...the same people with the same agenda and history with each other can inadvertantly go off topic. I don't think it's intentional. Like me, Iceman, and Mudpuppy started talking about motorcycles in the bowling alley thread. It just kinda got off topic...not intentionally.

I don't know...is that the kind of thing ccity is talking about??

Yea i do agree that this community has many older users that see the interactions her differently than the younger gen. Ive seen some off topic things but nothing too bad. Ive only been here a year but i dont think its the mods job to keep things on topic anyway unless the posts get out of hand or are breaking rules

dnhoffman
10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Yea i do agree that this community has many older users that see the interactions her differently than the younger gen. Ive seen some off topic things but nothing too bad. Ive only been here a year but i dont think its the mods job to keep things on topic anyway unless the posts get out of hand or are breaking rules

Pretty sure he's talking about something else, but either way the OP has a point. There are way too many people that either derail threads by trolling the, or just spam responses in order to get posts on Sundays or something.

Aslan
10-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I haven't seen too much of it.

I saw one spam post once....but I'm sure bowl1820 stays on top of those. And yes, there are those days after a ball giveaway where we have like 22 new users....who post 13 times and then get bored and leave. But...anytime ya give people chance at free stuff...they'll try to take advantage of it. Most of em don't tend to stick around.

circlecity
10-18-2013, 02:28 PM
thats not the only reason why people are not coming here anymore theres alot of other reasons but im not going to say any.

I have been a big part of many online forums and have been a moderator on some as well. My personal experience is that forums fail because the owners give up and stop maintaining the site. This includes finding moderators to mod the forums. They will come and go and some will do their job and others will just sit and do nothing.

It's appears that their is only one mod still active and it sucks being a mod on a forum where the owners have thrown in the towel. I also would have to question the bowling ball contests on here as well given the state of no maintince

circlecity
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
but i dont think its the mods job to keep things on topic anyway unless the posts get out of hand or are breaking rules Actually, that is one of the jobs of a moderator. They need to step in and tell them to keep on OP topic. They can also move the messages to another thread or start a new thread with the off topic posts.

Mods can't catch every problem post but they can act or take a look when there is a report on a post done.

I have requested to be a moderator on this forum but have not heard back.

circlecity
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Like me, Iceman, and Mudpuppy started talking about motorcycles in the bowling alley thread. It just kinda got off topic...not intentionally. Moderator should have just moved those to a new thread and you guys could continue your discussion about bikes without disrupting the other thread.

noeymc
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
i vote j anderson for mod =D

bowl1820
10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Something that would help is for posters to read the "How to Write a Good Forum Post " thread

Rule #1: Yes, spelling and grammar really are that important.
Misspellings and incorrect grammar are annoying to the reader, even if it does not actually make your post difficult to read.

Rule #2: Use short paragraphs.
This applies to all writing generally, but it is particularly important on an internet forum: people hate reading walls of text. Frankly, when people see a block of text, even a relatively short block, it looks daunting and they start skimming.

Rule #3: Use spacing to your advantage.
It is convention to put spaces between each paragraph. Do this and your writing will be easier to read.

Use double spaces between paragraphs to signal a new, but related topic. Use triple spaces or larger to denote any large shift in focus.

Rule #4: A forum's tone is of casual, but precise, conversation.
Don't be uptight when you write – feel free to use contractions, copious personal pronouns, and put things in parentheses. You are allowed to address other people directly, so long as you do it in a respectful way.

Rule #5: Use links, images, and videos to support and illustrate your points.
Reading text becomes quickly tiresome, so whenever you have the opportunity to offer a reader something beyond mere words in a box, it is wise to do so.

Rule #6: Present a logically sound argument.
You won't always be trying to demonstrate something when you post; often you'll simply be relating an experience or fact. At times, however, reasonable people have intelligent disagreements, and in those situations, it's helpful to know a bit about how to make a sound argument.

Rule #7: Use quotes often but precisely.
When someone makes a point worth responding to, either to agree or disagree with it, quote only the specific part of the post to which you are responding.

Rule #8: Always attack the argument, never the person.
In a casual conversation, direct address and use of the word "you" when responding to posts is entirely reasonable. It is necessary, however, to be very careful when doing so. It is surprisingly common how often posters inadvertently sleight other posters when addressing them.

Always be careful when you directly address another poster that you avoid in any way attacking them or their character. If the poster is wrong, then prove that they are wrong by attacking their argument with good counterarguments. It keeps your post more succinct, on topic, and at a level of maturity that better transmits your message.

Rule #9: Have Your thread title reflect what the post is about

Rule #10: Put your post in the appropriate forum

e-tank
10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Actually, that is one of the jobs of a moderator. They need to step in and tell them to keep on OP topic. They can also move the messages to another thread or start a new thread with the off topic posts.

Mods can't catch every problem post but they can act or take a look when there is a report on a post done.

hmm not on any forums ive been on. Keeping the thread on topic was always our responsibility and mods only closed things if it broke rules. Every forum is different i guess

bowl1820
10-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Actually, that is one of the jobs of a moderator. They need to step in and tell them to keep on OP topic. They can also move the messages to another thread or start a new thread with the off topic posts.

As far as reported posts, this month only one user reported anything. 2 posts I took care of them.

Another user reported 4 last month, another mod removed one and left the other 3, I guess they thought, heck I don't know what they thought. But I went ahead deleted those too.

So the reported posts did get taken care of.