PDA

View Full Version : Is this considered an arsenal bowler or not?

Hammer
10-20-2013, 09:52 AM
As an example I use my Anger Raw Hammer as my strike ball and my urethane Blue Hammer as my spare ball. Would this be considered an arsenal bowler? Or is an arsenal bowler someone who bowls using three balls? Maybe he starts using a strike ball and a plastic ball for spares and somewhere later in the evening has to change to a different strike ball because the lanes are changing and his first strike ball doesn't work for the changing conditions. So can both of these examples be considered an arsenal bowler? :cool:

dnhoffman
10-20-2013, 10:08 AM
An arsenal is a collection of equipment used for dealing with different sport oil patterns but I guess you could technically have different equipment for different lane conditions (wood, synthetic, etc) and carry down as the night progresses and consider it the same (just at a lesser technical level).

A spare ball is obvious (always bring it) but really, the more I bowl on THS patterns I tend to just play whatever ball seems to be carrying the most for me at the time. I suspect the psychological comfort it brings might bring me more relaxed and consistent bowling than any better piece of equipment ever could.

noeymc
10-20-2013, 10:57 AM
yes u have 2 balls and u use them its small but yes

bowl1820
10-20-2013, 11:49 AM
An arsenal is a collection of equipment used for dealing with different sport oil patterns but I guess you could technically have different equipment for different lane conditions (wood, synthetic, etc) and carry down as the night progresses and consider it the same (just at a lesser technical level).

A spare ball is obvious (always bring it) but really, the more I bowl on THS patterns I tend to just play whatever ball seems to be carrying the most for me at the time. I suspect the psychological comfort it brings might bring me more relaxed and consistent bowling than any better piece of equipment ever could.

A bowling arsenal would be a collection of equipment used for dealing with any different conditions/situations, not just sport oil patterns.

e-tank
10-20-2013, 02:06 PM
id call that an arsenal

Aslan
10-20-2013, 07:50 PM
I'd say....

- ...use of 2, okay.
- .... use of 3...less necessary but okay.
- ....having 4-5...kinda excessive and unnessecary.

To me, an "arsenal" is where a person is going to have about 10 different balls...some they use on lighter oil, some on heavier oil, some on different patterns. Usually will always bring 3-5 with them each night.

I don't see the point for a non-pro/non-tournament player. I mean bowling balls are cheap, so to each their own...but I think some players forget that you can change the way a ball reacts by varying things like speed, backswing height, and release. You don't "need" a different ball for every imagineable situation. I mean, in the good ole days...a fella showed up with a bowling ball...a one-ball bag.

I blame the invention of "roller bags" more than anything. Anyone who ever carried a shoulder bag with 2 balls in it would attest that they'd never consider taking 3 balls to the alley. But when suddenly suitcases had wheels...then bowling bags...now there is no limit to the number of balls a person can cram onto the ball return. :mad:

noeymc
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd say....

- ...use of 2, okay.
- .... use of 3...less necessary but okay.
- ....having 4-5...kinda excessive and unnessecary.

To me, an "arsenal" is where a person is going to have about 10 different balls...some they use on lighter oil, some on heavier oil, some on different patterns. Usually will always bring 3-5 with them each night.

I don't see the point for a non-pro/non-tournament player. I mean bowling balls are cheap, so to each their own...but I think some players forget that you can change the way a ball reacts by varying things like speed, backswing height, and release. You don't "need" a different ball for every imagineable situation. I mean, in the good ole days...a fella showed up with a bowling ball...a one-ball bag.

I blame the invention of "roller bags" more than anything. Anyone who ever carried a shoulder bag with 2 balls in it would attest that they'd never consider taking 3 balls to the alley. But when suddenly suitcases had wheels...then bowling bags...now there is no limit to the number of balls a person can cram onto the ball return. :mad:

lol my female who i bowl with has 6 balls and no roller and carries them all in, in one trip

dnhoffman
10-20-2013, 09:33 PM
lol my female who i bowl with has 6 balls and no roller and carries them all in, in one trip

Like a boss.

Zaxmazr
10-21-2013, 09:28 AM
See, some of you think 4+ balls are unnecessary...but sometimes it's not.
Play in a large tournament, you'll see that it isn't uncommon to see arsenals like that.

J Anderson
10-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Play in a large tournament, you'll see that it isn't uncommon to see arsenals like that.

Those of us who have said that weren't talking about tournaments. I think that if there is such a thing as the average bowler, who bowls one or two non-sport leagues, all at the same house, he or she can probably do just fine with a spare ball and one or two strike balls that are a good fit for the conditions they normally face with their style.

For bowlers who compete in sport leagues, tournaments, or who like to visit other bowling centers the three ball arsenal just isn't going to cut it. They might be able to get one of their balls in the pocket consistently but still get clobbered by someone whose ball isn't just getting to the pocket, but is hitting it at the right angle with enough retained energy to carry a lot of strikes.

Aslan
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM

So are you saying that you carry 4-6 balls because you bowl in tournaments?