PDA

View Full Version : Do pros use a plastic ball for all spare leaves?

Hammer
10-24-2013, 08:17 PM
When I watch pro tournaments on youtube it looks like they use plastic for corner pins but it looks like they use something else for other spare leaves. Other single pin leaves and multiple pin leaves look like they are picked up with a ball that has some hook to it. If they tried to hook a plastic ball at a spare with the oil they use in pro tournaments the ball would never hook. Maybe for some spares they use some kind of reactive resin ball to hook at some spare leaves. Maybe a resin with a weak layout. Anyone have thoughts on this? :cool:

e-tank
10-24-2013, 08:19 PM
depending what spare is plastic or resin youre correct. Obv corners are plastic but i think after that its up to the bowler what they want to use

noeymc
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
no not all of them

dnhoffman
10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Most I've seen do for the corner pins.

vdubtx
10-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Many pros I have seen use a plastic/poly ball for pretty much all spares. With Sport patterns it is tougher to get your ball to go cross lane if you are a righty and leave a 7 pin for instance.

J Anderson
10-24-2013, 11:09 PM
When I watch pro tournaments on youtube it looks like they use plastic for corner pins but it looks like they use something else for other spare leaves. Other single pin leaves and multiple pin leaves look like they are picked up with a ball that has some hook to it. If they tried to hook a plastic ball at a spare with the oil they use in pro tournaments the ball would never hook. Maybe for some spares they use some kind of reactive resin ball to hook at some spare leaves. Maybe a resin with a weak layout. Anyone have thoughts on this? :cool:

With one or two exceptions almost all pros have a spare ball.

Some, Like Walter Ray, will shoot straight at every leave.

on certain combinations like a bucket or the 3-6-9-10 the pros are more likely to throw a hook.

Basically each one has a strategy that works best for him.

Hammer
10-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I know that the pros use a spare ball but when I watch past tournaments on YOUTUBE outside of the corner pins they must have a spare ball that is urethane or a entry resin ball that has a mild hook to it. Or maybe a resin ball with a weak layout just to get enough hook to pick up all but corner pins with. :cool:

Aslan
10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Most pros on modern bowling programs carry 2-3 balls. Usually at the start of the broadcast they announce what balls the bowlers will be using. Usually, 3 different ones. But that may or may not include a plastic ball...which is often just a simple plastic ball drilled for their hand...with some advertising (Pepsi, Lumber Liquidators, Dexter, etc...) on them. So probably 3-4 balls total.

I'm sure they choose which spares to pick up using which ball. And the variety is also due to lane conditions and conditions that may vary with usage.

But at the end of the day, a bucket or large spare (3+ pins) can usually be picked up with any ball. They almost always use a plastic ball for 7 or 10 pins...just throwing a straight ball cross alley. Would they use it for a single 2, 3, or 5?? I don't know...some probably do.

bowlerRob2
10-27-2013, 10:14 AM
When there is a sleeper pin involved, they usually want to hook it in to get the back pin.

dnhoffman
10-27-2013, 10:46 PM
When there is a sleeper pin involved, they usually want to hook it in to get the back pin.

The less angular the better for sleepers.

Hammer
11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Me being a lefty anything left of the 5 pin I use my Blue Hammer urethane ball as my spare ball. From the 5 pin right I use my Raw Hammer Anger ball for those spares. I could feel the folks here cringing and grinding their teeth and thinking is this guy nuts or what? I know I should use a plastic ball for all spares but I have been doing this for a long time and am comfortable with it. Plus I bowl on a THS
pattern at the same house for years so I know their alleys. I have gotten as high as a 191 average and have had times where all three league games were clean and sometimes all three games were above 200. My highest scratch series was 710 for three games. My highest game was a 274 or 276. I had all strikes but a spare in the 8th frame. That Blue Hammer urethane ball is a good spare ball. I can give it no hook when needed or some hook on some spares. When I can't controll the Anger ball when the lanes break down I use the Blue for the strike ball and the spare ball. The Blue is a great go to ball on worn out patterns.

bowl1820
11-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Me being a lefty anything left of the 5 pin I use my Blue Hammer urethane ball as my spare ball. ............ I could feel the folks here cringing and grinding their teeth and thinking is this guy nuts or what?
No cringing or grinding....

Using a polished urethane ball as a spare ball is a viable alternative and it can do double duty as a dry lane ball.

classygranny
11-27-2013, 10:56 PM
When we were at the WSOB in Vegas in October, most spares were being picked up with a plastic ball. I can't remember which patterns we watched but we were there for qualifying rounds on Sun, Mon, and Tues. BowlerRob2 is correct that most were using a hook at double wood. Also, the buckets seemed to be one of personal choice, as well as the 2-10 split or a combination thereof.

Since my coach is attempting to get me to shoot all my spares with plastic except double wood, I paid very close attention to the Pros while we were watching...and, guess what - the higher scoring games came mostly by those using plastic for all spares.

Of course, he indicates, that if I never care to shoot at anything but my THSs, then go ahead and hook at the left side (I'm a righty) and use the plastic on the right. Of course, this is what I am more comfortable with, but I swear I am going to go all out after the first of the year and go with plastic on all. There, I said it, thus, I must DO IT.

Although, I will be the first to admit, that the other night I'm not sure what was going on with the lanes, they were different than normal and I felt very lost in the first game. It was actually nerve-wracking to think about getting up there to shoot a 7-pin off my strike line (WHAT STRIKELINE?) like I am so convinced I am comfortable doing. After doing that a few frames in the first game, I promised myself to find more time to practice "plastic ball spare shooting"!

MICHAEL
11-28-2013, 12:02 AM

Using a polished urethane ball as a spare ball is a viable alternative and it can do double duty as a dry lane ball.

I agree 100 percent, I polish my sling shot, and use it as a spare! Its very forgiving many times if I throw it a little short, it holds on and gets that pesky 10 pin!! I also have learn to throw it palm UP!! roles end over end... and with speed, does not hook much at all! (it does have a ever so slight, VERY slight move to the left even with the palm up!)

Urethane is a great ball for spares 2!!

Hammer
11-28-2013, 01:13 AM
When I mentioned the cringing and grinding of teeth I meant when I am using my Raw Hammer Anger ball for spares that are from the
5 pin and to the right. I guess that I have bowled so long in this house on their THS pattern that I am just use to doing it that way. If I went to a plastic ball to pick up pins from the 5 to the right I would have to retrain myself to pick those up with plastic. I do okay with the way I do it now so I will just stick with what I am use to.

Aslan
11-28-2013, 01:57 AM
This topic gives me a migraine.

J Anderson
11-28-2013, 10:22 AM
When I mentioned the cringing and grinding of teeth I meant when I am using my Raw Hammer Anger ball for spares that are from the
5 pin and to the right. I guess that I have bowled so long in this house on their THS pattern that I am just use to doing it that way. If I went to a plastic ball to pick up pins from the 5 to the right I would have to retrain myself to pick those up with plastic. I do okay with the way I do it now so I will just stick with what I am use to.

Hey, if it works for you, it works. While I'm sure that every pro shop would like to see every league bowler walking in with at least two balls, one of them being a spare shooting ball, not everyone needs to do this.

As a coach, I think that every bowler needs a spare shooting strategy so they can shoot their spares with at least as much confidence as they throw the first ball. Mine is basically to use a plastic ball for almost everything using the third arrow as my target and knowing where to stand for each key pin. My teammate just uses his strike ball and target, moving his feet slightly, and throwing much faster for the 6 and 10 pins, slower for the 4 and 7.

As long as the system lets you make an acceptable percentage of spares, it doesn't matter what you're throwing to do it. If you are a once a week, just for the fun of it bowler, you may be happy with anything over 50%. If you aspire to the more challenging leagues or the ones where more money is on the line, you need to be better than 90% on single pin and simple multi-pin spares.

dnhoffman
11-28-2013, 11:28 AM

I actually recommend buying urethane for a spare ball now because the polyester balls crack and chip (especially around the fingers) so easily.

For an extra $10 a Storm Mix gives a ton more life than my crappy white dot (RIP).

Aslan
11-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I actually recommend buying urethane for a spare ball now because the polyester balls crack and chip (especially around the fingers) so easily.

I actually agree :eek: with dnhoff here. While I certainly don't share the enthusiasm for the modern obsession with large "ARSEnals"…and think (cringe and grind as you will) most new players should be taught to pick up spares with lateral movement and adjustments rather than switch to a "spare ball"…if you ARE going to go down that road…why not get a cheap urethane over a cheap plastic?? The point is to get a ball that goes straight right? Urethane doesn't hook any more than plastic does and I think most people prefer the feel of urethane to plastic.

classygranny
11-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I actually agree :eek: with dnhoff here. While I certainly don't share the enthusiasm for the modern obsession with large "ARSEnals"…and think (cringe and grind as you will) most new players should be taught to pick up spares with lateral movement and adjustments rather than switch to a "spare ball"…if you ARE going to go down that road…why not get a cheap urethane over a cheap plastic?? The point is to get a ball that goes straight right? Urethane doesn't hook any more than plastic does and I think most people prefer the feel of urethane to plastic.

Sorry, but I disagree. I would say to ALL new bowlers...learn to pick up spares with a spare ball. It's one of the things I so wish I had learned early on, as sometimes he transition at this age is difficult at best!

Aslan
11-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. I would say to ALL new bowlers...learn to pick up spares with a spare ball. It's one of the things I so wish I had learned early on, as sometimes he transition at this age is difficult at best!

It's okay to disagree.

I "think"… :confused:

bowl1820
11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
new players should be taught to pick up spares with lateral movement and adjustments rather than switch to a "spare ball"

As far as "New Bowlers" (meaning those just learning how to bowl) are concerned. Aslan's idea above is okay, (especially if they have only one ball).

But a "New Bowler" shouldn't be learning to bowl with the most powerful ball out either. That's the mistake a lot of new bowlers make, they get this real powerful ball. Then they either can't control it or they don't know how to use it and it does nothing for them and they get frustrated.

When starting out they should be learning the basic's of play and spare shooting. Using a good controllable, entry level ball.

Once this is done and they have the basic's and spare shooting skill's down and they then can move up to a more powerful ball to increase their striking ability.

The transition here would be easier and they will already have a ball they are confident in using for picking up spares.

Aslan
11-29-2013, 03:05 PM
OH MY GOD…I'm going to CRY!!

Bowl1820 just said what I've been trying to say…but in SUCH a better way!!

1) New bowlers..
2) They usually only have one ball anyways..
3) They usually aren't using a mega-hook ball… (making a spare ball far less necessary)
4) The straighter ball then transitions into a …we'll just call it "back-up ball"…

Well done Bowl1820!!! And because it's YOU and not ME…95% less chance of it causing an argument!! Well played.

e-tank
11-29-2013, 03:13 PM

1) New bowlers..
3) They usually aren't using a mega-hook ball… (making a spare ball far less necessary)
4) The straighter ball then transitions into a …we'll just call it "back-up ball"…

Well done Bowl1820!!! And because it's YOU and not ME…95% less chance of it causing an argument!! Well played.

actually bowl said he agrees with you in a perfect world where new bowlers actually buy entry level balls as a first ball. Most however buy that advanced heavy oiler making a spare ball necessary essentially as it will go mostly straight

Aslan
11-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Most however buy that advanced heavy oiler making a spare ball necessary essentially as it will go mostly straight

Whoa whoa whoa…where are we getting those stats?? I guess thats a topic for another thread…but what are people commonly seeing new bowlers buy??

I actually see most "new" bowlers with Columbia WD plastic balls or Storm Tropical Breezes. However, I'll admit those a mostly new female bowlers. I don't see many new male bowlers very often but I do admit the few I've seen tend to wind up with a Hammer First Blood or a Storm Sync…which is probably too much ball right off the bat. I've heard the DV8 Misfit is a popular entry level ball for both males and females…not sure if thats something others have noticed or not. And I don't think that would be considered "too much hook" where you'd need a plastic spare ball for spares.

dnhoffman
11-29-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't advise "new bowlers" to even bowl fingertip so a separate spare ball is a moot point there. Teaching them beginners mechanics involves spare shooting with urethane/polyester.

When they move to a fingertip ball that's even medium performance, that's when I'd suggest the separate spare ball.

dnhoffman
11-29-2013, 03:41 PM
actually bowl said he agrees with you in a perfect world where new bowlers actually buy entry level balls as a first ball. Most however buy that advanced heavy oiler making a spare ball necessary essentially as it will go mostly straight

Or the more common worst case scenario: learning to bowl by palming the ball for an easy hook. UGH...

e-tank
11-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Whoa whoa whoa…where are we getting those stats?? I guess thats a topic for another thread…but what are people commonly seeing new bowlers buy??

I actually see most "new" bowlers with Columbia WD plastic balls or Storm Tropical Breezes. However, I'll admit those a mostly new female bowlers. I don't see many new male bowlers very often but I do admit the few I've seen tend to wind up with a Hammer First Blood or a Storm Sync…which is probably too much ball right off the bat. I've heard the DV8 Misfit is a popular entry level ball for both males and females…not sure if thats something others have noticed or not. And I don't think that would be considered "too much hook" where you'd need a plastic spare ball for spares.

From my own limited experience, that is not the case. They always buy the top level ball expecting the ball to get them their good scores or pro like hook. The misfit is labeled an entry level but its more of a medium level ball but i would still say it could be used for spares...maybe not the 10 pin though

Or the more common worst case scenario: learning to bowl by palming the ball for an easy hook. UGH...

haha you mean thumbless? Thats how i learned initially. I didnt even know you could hook a ball with your thumb in until i started bowling with my friend who about a 220 avg. It was still a learning process for me to learn thumb in which started with a thumb tip grip with a release that resembled literally throwing the ball vs rolling it off the hand

dnhoffman
11-29-2013, 04:47 PM
haha you mean thumbless? Thats how i learned initially. I didnt even know you could hook a ball with your thumb in until i started bowling with my friend who about a 220 avg. It was still a learning process for me to learn thumb in which started with a thumb tip grip with a release that resembled literally throwing the ball vs rolling it off the hand

Aye, thumbless. Or as I refer to it "junk-balling"

dnhoffman
11-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Because trying to explain how to throw spares with plastic or otherwise to someone who junk-balls is just...frustrating.

bowl1820
11-29-2013, 05:25 PM

That's the thing, you have the right idea on some things. But you bury them in a bunch of histrionics and go off on tangents so much nobody will take you seriously.

1) New bowlers..
For the most part true.

This is more of a gray area and is going to depend on where your at and what your looking at.

Let's just say that too many new bowlers, start with the wrong ball and/or the wrong idea/expectations of what they want it for or for it to do.

Too many go out there wanting to throw the "Hollywood Shot", see that ball go coast to coast and the pins go splat. And that's the only thing they learn to do and gravitate to the powerful balls to give them that look.

Then after that they start worrying about picking up spares and they can't because they can't throw a straight ball.