PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Tip of the Week - Timing for Advanced Players

bowl1820
11-01-2013, 01:22 PM
The next in our weekly bowling video tips is about advanced timing. In this tip we will discuss late timing and showcase some examples of why advanced players may want to go later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lE7DawI7_8

Mike White
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
R.S. wants you to start the ball ahead of your feet, then shorten your slide step so your foot stops before the ball reaches the ankle area.

Starting the ball ahead of your feet will cause an imbalance at the bottom of the back swing.

I found it much easier to shorten the 3rd of a 4 step, or 4th of a 5 step approach to create late timing.
At the moment of the shortening, the ball is at the transition from backswing to forward swing, so the ball has zero vertical velocity.

bowl1820
11-01-2013, 05:08 PM
R.S. wants you to start the ball ahead of your feet, then shorten your slide step so your foot stops before the ball reaches the ankle area.

So where in this video does he say to start the ball ahead of your feet?

Starting the ball ahead of the feet creates early timing, not later. Which R.S. shows a example of in the "Other" video about timing.

Also From the Bronze manual
Early Timing, refers to the ball being ahead of the steps for the classic four-step delivery.

He said start the right foot first (@00:30-00:40)and it moved before the elbow did. That's not starting the ball ahead of the feet.

Starting the ball ahead of your feet will cause an imbalance at the bottom of the back swing.

Maybe so, Might be why he said it was for Advanced Players.

I found it much easier to shorten the 3rd of a 4 step, or 4th of a 5 step approach to create late timing.
At the moment of the shortening, the ball is at the transition from backswing to forward swing, so the ball has zero vertical velocity.

Well that sounds alright to me, it's Just a different way so whatever works.

Mike White
11-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Somewhere between watching the video, and typing the message, my brain swapped which item (ball/foot) moved first.

The point is during the backswing you should have correct timing for balance purposes.

The "timing" step (3rd of 4 or 4th of 5) is shortened to create "late timing" by allowing the feet to get ahead of the ball.