PDA

View Full Version : Pin Up/Down, Drilling, etc. - How much does it affect the length before ball hooks?

Trojan1994
11-13-2013, 10:52 PM
As stated before, am a brand new bowler using 14lb. : Roto Grip Totally Defiant, Columbia White Dot and 15lb. Storm Freakin Frantic. Been fooling around the past 2 months trying to understand technique and finding "my technique".

The Defiant and Frantic were drilled for max hook and finger tip grip with inserts. So far I've found that one handed, my consistency is ok at best and scores typically in low 100's. Started playing with 2 handed throws and found insane spin and consistency and once I figured out exactly how I need to hold it and begin my approach, my scores have jumped to mid 100's and a few games in the 184 - 205 range.

Today, I think I and others experienced what is referred to as the "Lane Breaking Down" on one of the lanes we were using where everyone did fine in game one but game 2 it became very difficult. Personally my Frantic was suddenly breaking aggressively left early despite what felt like normal throws.

It made me wonder if:

a) Should I get a ball with minimum flare for dry conditions like the Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid.

b) If my balls were set up differently would they have gone significantly longer before hooking, allowing me to adapt easier to changing conditions with same strike ball?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Tony

e-tank
11-13-2013, 11:50 PM
imo i would focus on your technique before buying any more balls. The balls would react differently in theory with a different drilling but this would mean that your shots and accuracy are the same which having an average in the low 100's, you do not. When the lanes break down, you move left a few boards(if right handed) to find oil so your ball will skid longer.

Stormed1
11-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Pin up/pin down does not have sn effect on length, only how fast the ball responds to friction. For drier lanes you want a higher rg/lower differential ball to creat more skid and less flare. Pin to pap and drill angle control when the ball goes into the hook phase and how much of the flare potential the ball uses. My currect ball for drier lanes is a Motiv QZ2 blue drill 80x6x80 (pin under middle finger)

dnhoffman
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
imo i would focus on your technique before buying any more balls. The balls would react differently in theory with a different drilling but this would mean that your shots and accuracy are the same which having an average in the low 100's, you do not. When the lanes break down, you move left a few boards(if right handed) to find oil so your ball will skid longer.

+1

In all honesty, it sounds like you have a long way to go before equipment and layouts at going to make a consistent difference

J Anderson
11-14-2013, 03:09 PM
As stated before, am a brand new bowler using 14lb. : Roto Grip Totally Defiant, Columbia White Dot and 15lb. Storm Freakin Frantic. Been fooling around the past 2 months trying to understand technique and finding "my technique".

It made me wonder if:

a) Should I get a ball with minimum flare for dry conditions like the Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid.

b) If my balls were set up differently would they have gone significantly longer before hooking, allowing me to adapt easier to changing conditions with same strike ball?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Tony

My first thought is take the money that you would spend a dry condition ball and invest it in a couple of lessons. I admit that it can be a lot of fun trying different ways of throwing the ball, especially if you're doing it with some like minded friends, and figuring it out on your own. A good coach can give you a real jump start on becoming a good bowler.

My second thought is that you might want to read through the following thread: http://www.bowlingintel.com/forum/thread-396.html

It's gotten a bit long,but basically Rob explains what an average bowlers needs to know about modern bowling balls. While the way a ball is drilled can have an effect but not nearly as much as the core dynamics and coverstock.