11-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Rotogrip Totally Defiant
PAP-5 over and ½ up
Ball Speed: 15-17mph
Rev Rate: 300-500
Right Handed
Layout: 4x4x2
Surface Preparation: OTB

What I wanted from this ball: I wanted more length than my Defiant Soul, But still the hitting power of the Defiant balls.

Result: Exactly what I expected from this ball. A pearl version of my Defiant Soul with a mean skip flip reaction.

Compared to the Defiant Soul, this ball allows me to move left and swing the ball out and have the confidence that it will come back. The cover is strong enough to give me the extreme skid flip backend reaction I wanted and great carry of the corner pins.

I tested this ball on our home wood lanes with our house pattern. Our house pattern is a pretty tough shot with dryer heads in the middle portion of the lane creating a huge early backend reaction for most and a massive out of bounds from the first arrow out. There is a small hold area around the 8 board but you cant miss inside or out.

The first set of 3 games on a freshly oiled pair, I was able to stay deep inside and swing the Totally Defiant out to the five board and maintain a skid flip reaction back to the pocket. The carry was pretty awesome. This ball allowed me to play a much deeper shot than usual on our house condition. I moved right of center and played 15 and sent the ball out to 5 and threw much harder and was able to continue hitting the pocket, but I left back row pins due to the drive through the pocket and the sharp angle coming off of our dry boards. I moved back left and played 20 again and was able to start carrying much better over the next 5-6 games. I definitely cannot use this ball when the lanes are dry or really hooking, but I am truly glad to have it when I have front end lane oil and want to cover a lot of boards.

To sum this ball up, I am extremely satisfied with the reaction this ball gives me when I have enough oil to get it through the front portion of the lanes. Once again, I would definitely use this ball for oilier conditions when I want definite backend hook.

Pro Shop Reaction: A pretty good selling ball so far. A few of my better bowlers have purchased this ball and love it. The Totally Defiant also has a great look and gets a lot of compliments on the color scheme.

Recommendations: I would definitely recommend this ball to anyone wanting a strong backend reaction or wanting to cover a lot of boards. I would also recommend this ball or someone who may not get a lot on the ball but still wants a strong ball reaction.

Storm/Roto Grip Staff
Sean Baker
Bowl Like a Pro Shop
Paducah, Ky 42001