PDA

View Full Version : New from Minnesota

Geve
11-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey everyone,

Just saying hello :]
I have bowled maybe once a year for my buddies birthday for 3 years, but two months ago started getting full into it. Got some friends together and joined the DV8 Zombie Bowling club to get the free Dv8 zombie spare ball they give out at the end as I figured even a spare ball drilled for me was better than a house ball. I've been using a Storm Blue Thunder ball I found at an estate sale for $5 and it hooks well, but I can tell it definitely isn't what it once was. Saving up for my first new ball at the moment (Any suggestions?)

Since we started that league, bowling it seems is becoming a new passion for me and I'm constantly trying to improve. On nights I don't bowl, I watch Tip videos on youtube and PBA tournaments studying how the pro's bowl, read forum topics and such for their advice. So I'm super excited to have joined the forums and look forward to getting involved in this community and making new friends!

dnhoffman
11-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Welcome Geve!

Glad to hear you're enjoying bowling and getting more into the sport.

As for first ball suggestions - first and foremost I'd advise you not to buy a high-performance ball first just because it has great marketing and "the most hook/backed they've ever seen!" You can make just about any medium performance ball hook as well as needed on your leagues house oil pattern if you have the right release and mechanics.

Buying an overly aggressive ball will likely either be uncontrollable for you in the 2nd/3rd game or conversely be a vast disappointment when it barely hooks at all because you don't have the right release yet.

Do you bowl fingertip now? If so you're ahead of the game. Many of medium performance balls are really similar, and a good driller to measure and fit you is much more important than the ball itself. If you can provide some details about your bowling we can try to help you find the right ball.

Welcome again!

Geve
11-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks dnhoffman!

I do bowl fingertip yes. My style, is not that well recieved, from what I understand; I'm a belmo style two-handed bowler. I've tried quite a few styles and it's the one I enjoyed the most, and it seems to give me quite a workout. I've just recently got a 4 (hopstep) step approach down so footwork is finally decent, before I was all over the place. Now I'm just trying to work on my release, that seems to be the hardest for me right now. Sometimes I can throw an aggressive hook, sometimes it's very subtle more like a "scoot to the left", I'm trying to figure out what I do differently that causes the different reactions.

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't think that it's "not well received" it's just very unorthodox.

Two-handed bowling is not the same as what I call scrub bowling (palming the ball) because your other hand is your control hand. I've just got no experience with it and couldn't tell you night from day when it comes to advice...