PDA

View Full Version : When do you offer advice to other bowlers??

Aslan
11-30-2013, 04:12 AM
I was at leagues tonight and we bowled a fairly "bad" team…4 players with averages under 100.

Well, anyways…there was this one bowler that I could see obvious problems with her release…that triggered some ideas because I had gotten some advice a couple months ago regarding what she was doing wrong. So, I thought I might "help" her…but it's sorta like golf…the general rule is you don't offer advice unless asked right??

But on the other hand…if you KNOW something someone is doing wrong…that if they just fixed that one little thing…bowling would be more enjoyable…it almost seems counterproductive to the sport not to just offer them the advice.

So I ended up not saying anything…mainly because she was sitting with her boyfriend the whole night and I figured it was more "his job" to help her…not mine. Had she been alone, I probably would have offered the advice.

MICHAEL
11-30-2013, 08:51 AM
never
lol

MICHAEL
11-30-2013, 08:54 AM
wait till you get a little more knowledge, you would probably just confuse them at this point! You confuse me, and I am Iceman!! :confused:

bowl1820
11-30-2013, 10:21 AM
but it's sorta like golf…the general rule is you don't offer advice unless asked right??

right!

dnhoffman
11-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, this was fun.

sprocket
11-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Pretty much never. Most of the time even when they say "I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong" it is a rhetorical question and they still don't want help. Even if they outright ask for help you may find that your ideas are wrong for them or don't offer the immediate result that you had envisioned in your mind. The outcome may be WORSE. Mostly help is best offered by those trained to instruct and even then only in practice and not during league. Some never want to practice and that is unfortunate for them. I guess they think they will improve my osmosis or something.

I personally feel I have a lot to offer but even my years of experience and a pretty good eye are meaningless because I don't believe I have proper teaching skills. I can tell someone what I see and what I should be seeing but I am not trained in how to help them implement changes or even what to work on FIRST. I would like to become a certified instructor if I could just find the time. The best I can do now is direct them towards youtube instruction videos, bowling instruction books, or an actual instructor. The truth is for the most part I do nothing and I have been shot down a few times when I did offer advice and that is how I learned the stuff in this post.

Hammer
11-30-2013, 12:05 PM
never
lol

LOL! Boy Mike, you almost made me swallow my partial. :)

J Anderson
11-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Outside of Saturday mornings, when I'm supposed to be giving advice, I either wait until being asked, or ask if they would like some advice.

e-tank
11-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I used to do it alot but recently, i was convinced that while the advice is with good intent, giving unknowingly bad advice can be more detrimental than good. Ive never had a coach like you have aslan, so your advice would prob be better than mine but just my 2 cents

Aslan
11-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, this was fun. Yeah, right? Do you see how even when I try to start an interesting thread…not about me…not with "I know it all" attitude…that it's pretty much impossible? Not to "play victim"…but since this just keeps happening…I might as well just accept it.

LOL! Boy Mike, you almost made me swallow my partial. :) Awww…I didn't realize you were so old. I'm sorry. That's sad.

Ive never had a coach like you have aslan, so your advice would prob be better than mine but just my 2 cents
I never give advice just because:
1) etiquette
2) I'm still a beginner myself (as was eluded to)
3) Most people don't take advice even when you give it (also eluded to)

The only reason I even considered it last night was you had 4 bowlers under 100 (averages)…there really was nothing I could say that would make them worse. Nothing. I could tell them to close their eyes and they'd have probably improved. But the one thing I noticed was the one lady was leading with her shoulder…noticeably. And I was told by a very experienced bowler/coach, "lead with the ball, not your shoulder". So since it wasn't my "opinion"…it was something I was told by a very good coach….I figured it'd be safe to pass it on.

But at the end of the day…even though I think bowling better = more bowling/bowlers = a better sport…I struggle getting past the "etiquette" factor (like in golf) where you don't offer advice unless asked.

e-tank
11-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I never give advice just because:
1) etiquette
2) I'm still a beginner myself (as was eluded to)
3) Most people don't take advice even when you give it (also eluded to)

The only reason I even considered it last night was you had 4 bowlers under 100 (averages)…there really was nothing I could say that would make them worse. Nothing. I could tell them to close their eyes and they'd have probably improved. But the one thing I noticed was the one lady was leading with her shoulder…noticeably. And I was told by a very experienced bowler/coach, "lead with the ball, not your shoulder". So since it wasn't my "opinion"…it was something I was told by a very good coach….I figured it'd be safe to pass it on.

But at the end of the day…even though I think bowling better = more bowling/bowlers = a better sport…I struggle getting past the "etiquette" factor (like in golf) where you don't offer advice unless asked.

understandable. Im a personal trainer and for me, when im not with a client, i leave people alone unless their form is going to lead to injury

zdawg
11-30-2013, 04:26 PM
understandable. Im a personal trainer and for me, when im not with a client, i leave people alone unless their form is going to lead to injury

Too funny, when I was in college I was also a personal trainer and followed pretty much the same principles. When I saw somebody using awful form that would either lead to their own injury, or doing something stupid that could lead to injuring somebody else (like taking all the plates off one side of a curling bar while the other side is still loaded - I've seen that too many times to remember) I would typically intervene.

As for bowling, I discuss things with my teammates but its because three of us are beginners and we're constantly sharing as we go along and learn - we're also friends outside of bowling so there's that, but it's not so much advice as us learning together. But yeah, even if I had the necessary years of experience to have really seen and done it all, I don't think I'd be proactive on offering unsolicited advice.

There is one time that I did actually offer advice at the alley (about a month ago), which actually followed my rules from my personal training years and bowling and trying to prevent injury. There was a guy with kids bowling next to me who kept insisting on chucking his ball right after his little daughter tried to roll hers(basically throwing two balls at once) and on one frame ended up getting one stuck halfway down the gutter somehow. I mentioned to him that he should use the intercom thing and let the front desk know to send someone to retrieve the ball, and that the lane was oiled and not to try walking down it. Well, I turned my back just long enough for him to ignore my advice, but I turned back around just in time to see him slip and his head bounce off the lane. I suppose the experience taught him that which I could not :eek:

zdawg
11-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh, and since I now bowl at one house primarily I've become an expert on their "complicated" terminal for the lanes, so beginner/open bowlers often ask me how to use it to enter their names and start their games. :cool:

J Anderson
11-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh, and since I now bowl at one house primarily I've become an expert on their "complicated" terminal for the lanes, so beginner/open bowlers often ask me how to use it to enter their names and start their games. :cool:

I forgot to mention that if I see an open bowler who's clearly confused by the scorer console, I'll step over and offer my help or point out the phone for calling the control desk.

Hammer
11-30-2013, 11:16 PM
To Aslan: you're not right about a lot of things but you are right that I am old. I will be 67 in two months. Also if you notice a lot of those old guys playing in the NHL have partials. They don't get implants because it would be too expensive to keep having them fixed when they get hit in the mouth with that puck or a hockey stick or a fist in a fight.

MICHAEL
12-01-2013, 05:53 AM
To Aslan: you're not right about a lot of things but you are right that I am old. I will be 67 in two months. Also if you notice a lot of those old guys playing in the NHL have partials. They don't get implants because it would be too expensive to keep having them fixed when they get hit in the mouth with that puck or a hockey stick or a fist in a fight.

Aslan,,, don't DON'T mess with a Hockey player!! Old don't mean Puck!!! You better give this guy some respect! 67 is not that old Aslan,,, Iceman is a lean, hard, fighting machine at 65! LOL..... Do you play hockey Aslan? What do you do for a living anyway bud!! At first I thought you were in your teens, but after seeing you bowl, I would guess around mid 30's? As that Tina Tunner song goes R E S P E C T,,, in the blink of an eye you will be in your 60's if your lucky!! (:)

Hammer
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Awww…I didn't realize you were so old. I'm sorry. That's sad..
Hey buddy boy, you are not immune to aging. You will get older like everyone else. Just think of what shape you will be in when you are just about to turn 67. I just like the fact that I can still bowl at this age. I still have good technique. Some folks my age shuffle to the foul line and have trouble bending over to throw the ball. I don't have all of that. I wonder if you will be able to have good technique bowling when you reach my age.

bowl1820
12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
As is my prerogative, I am locking this thread, as continuing this discussion is pointless.