PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a NIB Ball?

circlecity
12-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Do you own a new in box bowling ball? Just curious how many people have balls not being used.

e-tank
12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
used to have a nib slingshot but i traded it. Thinking about buying a nib hyroad and stashing it

MICHAEL
12-03-2013, 07:55 PM
What good is a ball in a box? That's like a Ding Dong in its wrapper!! The box and wrapper are just used to get it home, or to the Pro shop for a good drilling!! Ding Dongs are much better if eaten asap!!! A ball sitting in your house will absorb oil, form cooking if not sealed properly! ESP balls that have not been drilled and are in a box! Science backs the saying, ( Drill it or lose it )!! :rolleyes:

Aslan
12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
There wasn't an option for more than one.

I have 7 in boxes undrilled in the closet…one on the way.

I'm trying not to go online "shopping" very often…because I just can't resist a good deal. I'd say of the 7 in the closet…6 would be considered "high end" and the average cost per ball was about $64.

And I can't afford to drill all of them…much less buy 1-2 roller bags so I can bring my ARSEnal to the alley. And besides…I already have to sorta "hide" my new ball from the pro shop guy because I didn't buy it from him nor have him drill it…and I'm not sure…but he might feel "slighted" that I took my business elsewhere. :(

circlecity
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
And I can't afford to drill all of them…much less buy 1-2 roller bags so I can bring my ARSEnal to the alley. And besides…I already have to sorta "hide" my new ball from the pro shop guy because I didn't buy it from him nor have him drill it…and I'm not sure…but he might feel "slighted" that I took my business elsewhere. :(

I would think pro shops should be use to people buying balls online now. Most of them are stuck in their old ways and still wait for people to come in the door instead of adding an eCommerce solution as well. Not letting them drill could upset them for sure.

striker12
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
i use to have a brunswick c system 4.5 NIB but i got it drilled about a month ago and it has done pritty good for me other then the past 2 weeks where the lanes have been dry and i dont got nothing for dry lanes other then my freeze witch is still aggressive on oily lanes also but it is also my most hooking bowling ball i have and i have a brawler and a full swing

zdawg
12-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Do you own a new in box bowling ball? Just curious how many people have balls not being used.

Nope, I'm still working on mastering the ball I have. I plan on upgrading at some point, probably Jan or Feb and my current ball will then become a spare ball. But since I'm only in one league, obviously at the same alley and basically same conditions each week, and I've only been bowling for slightly less than 3 months I don't think buying a bunch of balls at this point would be worthwhile.

Aslan
12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Nope, I'm still working on mastering the ball I have. I plan on upgrading at some point, probably Jan or Feb and my current ball will then become a spare ball. But since I'm only in one league, obviously at the same alley and basically same conditions each week, and I've only been bowling for slightly less than 3 months I don't think buying a bunch of balls at this point would be worthwhile.

This was an excellent post.

dnhoffman
12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Good deals usually come with long/short pins and/or unusual top weights. Are any of those seven balls 2nds?

Aslan
12-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Good deals usually come with long/short pins and/or unusual top weights. Are any of those seven balls 2nds?

No. They are all first quality. The trick to getting great bowling balls at low prices is the same as it is for electronics. Once a new ball comes out...wow...the older models get thrown in the dumpster.

Case in point: Columbia 300 (all prices shipped)
Encounter: Released September 2011: Release MSRP: 229.99. Actual Release Price: 159.95. Purchase Price: $58.95-$78.99 (I bought 2)

Dark Encounter: Released January 2012: Release MSRP: 229.99. Actual Release Price: 179.95. Purchase Price: $84.99 (I bought 1)

Wicked Encounter: Released July 2012: Release MSRP: 229.99. Actual Release Price: 179.99. Current purchase price: $159.95

Enigma: Released January 2013: Release MSRP: 279.99. Actual Release Price: 229.95. Current purchase price: $159.95

Antics: Released July 2013: Release MSRP: 249.99. Actual Release Price: 159.95. Current purchase price: $149.95

I'd love to get a Storm BYTE or a Brunswick Mystic Aura...but why spend twice as much to have the newest ball in their line-up when in 6 months you will start seeing the SYNC for under $80? You're already starting to see the IQ Pearl for under $100. Bowlers don't like 2-year old technology...despite the fact that in most cases the hook rating is almost identical and in some cases it's the same core in just a slightly different coverstock.

So...thats how I've gotten them at a bargain. They aren't "used" or already drilled or "second's". I like to consider my closet...the "Island Misfit Balls (bowling)". Lots of high end bowling balls...that nobody wants anymore. : (

circlecity
12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Are there any bowling balls that went up in value and stayed there? Something collectible or rare?

dnhoffman
12-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes circle, there are. But like any other collectible, the value is only as much as the buyer assesses...

There's another forums site where guys trade a lot of used balls, some collectibles.

www.bowlingballexchange.com I'd ask around there if you really want to know more. It's also a great place to buy used equipment, I've found some great deals there, good sellers.

Aslan
12-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Are there any bowling balls that went up in value and stayed there? Something collectible or rare?

The Hammer Black Widow is one. That ball sells for around $300 undrilled. But like d-hoff says…it's really a matter of finding someone that really wants that particular ball.