PDA

View Full Version : Are casual bowlers these days too easy to impress?

Aslan
12-05-2013, 01:15 AM
:confused:

I've been…flattered….by three different people in the last 2 months while bowling. These comments have range from "I was watching you and you are quite impressive" to "Wow man…I wish I could bowl like you!" to even one person in my friday league asking the league secretary where she came across "the pro""

Now listen…I SUCK!! Like, not average…not "kinda good"…not "experienced/consistent"…I'm HORRIBLE. I'm embarrassing to watch bowl. Ask Bunny…she's SEEN it. Ask Mike White…he's already been very candid that I am a horrible, horrible bowler.

So when someone comes up to me and compliments me like that…I don't know what to say. I just stand there and smile and mumble…because I don't know how to respond. I WANT to say, "Wow…you're easily impressed." Or maybe just say, "well thank you for saying that, I appreciate it." But it's SO shocking…that I'm dumbfounded by it.

I mean, I scored between 109 and 179 tonight with an average over 12 games of 133. How is that "impressive"?? It made me want to kick the ball return and throw my ball down the hallway…yet apparently…133 is impressive to some folks. :confused:

Hampe
12-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Eh....some people are just easily impressed. I've had kids stand there with their parents and watch me for 5 minutes and ask how I make the ball hook so much and give me all kinds of compliments, and I've been on lanes next to people and rolled strike after strike for 250 without any of them even batting an eye. Some people are impressed if it looks like you know what you're doing, and some people don't really care.

But if they were impressed by 133, I'd say yea, they're easily impressed :P

MICHAEL
12-05-2013, 07:39 AM
:confused:

I've been…flattered….by three different people in the last 2 months while bowling. These comments have range from "I was watching you and you are quite impressive" to "Wow man…I wish I could bowl like you!" to even one person in my friday league asking the league secretary where she came across "the pro""

Now listen…I SUCK!! Like, not average…not "kinda good"…not "experienced/consistent"…I'm HORRIBLE. I'm embarrassing to watch bowl. Ask Bunny…she's SEEN it. Ask Mike White…he's already been very candid that I am a horrible, horrible bowler.

So when someone comes up to me and compliments me like that…I don't know what to say. I just stand there and smile and mumble…because I don't know how to respond. I WANT to say, "Wow…you're easily impressed." Or maybe just say, "well thank you for saying that, I appreciate it." But it's SO shocking…that I'm dumbfounded by it.

I mean, I scored between 109 and 179 tonight with an average over 12 games of 133. How is that "impressive"?? It made me want to kick the ball return and throw my ball down the hallway…yet apparently…133 is impressive to some folks. :confused:

Did you notice,,, were they visually impaired? Maybe, if they were chicks, they were just pumping up your self-esteem, to make you think you were on their Radar! You live in California,,, so that works for guys too! LOL watch your ask!!

dnhoffman
12-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Did you notice,,, were they visually impaired? Maybe, if they were chicks, they were just pumping up your self-esteem, to make you think you were on their Radar! You live in California,,, so that works for guys too! LOL watch your ask!!

Best post of the week - give this man a bowling ball.

sprocket
12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
When someone asks me to show them how to hook the ball like I do I tell them "the last thing you would EVER want to do is bowl like I do."

Bunny
12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
They were obviously high. :cool:

e-tank
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I get it from time to time. From non bowlers I brush it off as just being able to strike twice is impressive to non bowlers. I've gotten compliments from coaches a few times but it could just be they were trying to butter me up to get some lessons from them. I've never been evaluated but im sure there are many things wrong with my game

Aslan
12-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Did you notice,,, were they visually impaired?

Not everybody bowls in the over 65 leagues...

MICHAEL
12-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Ok Aslan, ,,, ok,,, you have pushed my botton! I do not bowl in the 65 year old leagues! In fact, I was ask to leave all seniors leagues around here,, and bowl with guys your age to teach many of the better bowlers, like yourself, (who their daddy is!!)!

Yes,,, I wish we lived closer, I would video a challenge match called: ( Mature grown-up Super Hero adult, against M-mature not at normal peak of natural growth and development mentally challenged and physically 2 Aslan! lol

I would go easy on you, knowing what a fragile thing self-esteem can be for a guy pushing 40, and womanless!! LOL

dnhoffman
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Iceman I don't think you could just challenge him directly. More likely, you'd have to first challenge, bowl, and beat the flooding mass of bowlers who rush adore him with praise and admiration of his 160-average bowling prowess. All the while Aslan would sit on his throne, drinking gin and tonics, with no lady by his side, cackling an evil laugh like some kind of awkward, sad, celibant, bowling super-villain.

e-tank
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
inb4 thread lock

Aslan
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
inb4 thread lock

Me too!!

It's weird that I consistently finish last in the site popularity vote...yet both Iceman and D-Hoff have detailed memories concerning every aspect of my life that I've shared here. Meanwhile...I can't even remember what gender d-hoff is or if he/she/it has a GED. And I remember Iceman is old and used to work with steel or iron or aluminum (something that obviously gave off harmful fumes)...and "may" have a wife...who either likes purple or green or both colors...and he got a couple 300s I think...but yeah...I guess when your brain/parking garage is full of actual knowledge and facts...you don't have a ton of empty parking spots for random statistics on internet trolls and the heavily medicated elderly psychotics.

And Ice...I respect your insanity...and "vigor"...but it's far from unique. There's a guy that looks almost exactly like you that sits at the intersection near where I work holding a 5ft sign made up of glitter and random magazine clippings...so while I respect your level of crazy...it's rather lazy to just do it on the internet when the truly devoted are pounding the pavement EVERY day.

Good Times.

Wait...what was the original thread about before Iceman decided to insult the OP and d-hoff jumped in for his usual insult/commentary?? Oh yeah...thats okay...B1820 can lock it...I think the question was answered adequately by the forum participants with at least some level of class before Ice/Hoff got ahold of it.

And tank...just for gambling purposes...the over/under on me starting a thread and how many posts on topic that will occur before it's derailed is currently down from 6 to 5 in Vegas...so bet accordingly. I guess too many people were taking the under and winning. :cool:

e-tank
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Me too!!

It's weird that I consistently finish last in the site popularity vote...yet both Iceman and D-Hoff have detailed memories concerning every aspect of my life that I've shared here. Meanwhile...I can't even remember what gender d-hoff is or if he/she/it has a GED. And I remember Iceman is old and used to work with steel or iron or aluminum (something that obviously gave off harmful fumes)...and "may" have a wife...who either likes purple or green or both colors...and he got a couple 300s I think...but yeah...I guess when your brain/parking garage is full of actual knowledge and facts...you don't have a ton of empty parking spots for random statistics on internet trolls and the heavily medicated elderly psychotics.

And Ice...I respect your insanity...and "vigor"...but it's far from unique. There's a guy that looks almost exactly like you that sits at the intersection near where I work holding a 5ft sign made up of glitter and random magazine clippings...so while I respect your level of crazy...it's rather lazy to just do it on the internet when the truly devoted are pounding the pavement EVERY day.

Good Times.

Wait...what was the original thread about before Iceman decided to insult the OP and d-hoff jumped in for his usual insult/commentary?? Oh yeah...thats okay...B1820 can lock it...I think the question was answered adequately by the forum participants with at least some level of class before Ice/Hoff got ahold of it.

And tank...just for gambling purposes...the over/under on me starting a thread and how many posts on topic that will occur before it's derailed is currently down from 6 to 5 in Vegas...so bet accordingly. I guess too many people were taking the under and winning. :cool:

i dont think a single one of your threads or posts in other threads ends with the thread on topic. And lets be real, your at just as much of a fault as everyone that insults you seeing as you reply with insults of your own. You want to stop being attacked? Stop with the backhanded remarks and stop replying to other remarks

Aslan
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
i dont think a single one of your threads or posts in other threads ends with the thread on topic. And lets be real, your at just as much of a fault as everyone that insults you seeing as you reply with insults of your own. You want to stop being attacked? Stop with the backhanded remarks and stop replying to other remarks

I tried that strategy my friend. It hasn't stopped the behavior. I think it's just something you have to live with.

I'm not claiming innocence...but feel free to go through THIS thread (in question) and find the spot where after posting my initial question I insulted Iceman or D-hoff and started down this path. I know I've made comments here and there and I own that...but if people took off their foggy glasses and actually looked at the recent activity at face value...they'd see that I rarely EVER "start" it.

I may have differing opinions...and am quick to offer them...but my main crime is being unpopular and opinionated...not following forum members around making personal insults. I will respond however...since their behavior is not only left unchecked but encouraged...I guess I have that right don't I?

sprocket
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
As easy as casual bowlers are to impress I think that "these days" they are not as easily impressed as they used to be. Back when I was a kid you might go to the bowling center not to bowl but just in the hopes that one of the local superstars was there practicing. I those days top bowlers became as good as they were through a lot of practice. Back in the 70's it wasn't just impressive to see someone stringing strikes, it was downright AWESOME because only the true experts did it. I idolized those local superstars and they were my main inspiration to become a good bowler myself. I still don't consider myself on par with any of them.

Aslan
12-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Evidence:

Best post of the week - give this man a bowling ball.

They were obviously high. :cool:

Realize...all I did was ask a bowling related question...non-controversial. And after 3 rather "insult/mocking/poking fun" responses...I reacted to one (ignored the usual troll and Bunny knows me so she can poke fun).

See...you (tank) see what you want to see...but in THIS thread...it's clear where it got off topic...where it went "personal"...and who were the culprits. I asked a question that sort of even poked fun at mySELF and my recent struggles on the lanes...but that wasn't enough...it had to be taken off topic and the insults had to be thrown my way. Am I a victim? Who cares? It doesn't matter. But I don't think it's fair AT ALL to say in the thread I was the "aggressor". And people can either look at this thread and realize that (despite my popularity or lack there of) or they can be biased and move on. But if they're going to make false statements that I in some way "instigated" the response through my actions/words...I challenge them to show it in THIS thread.

And I feel bad for someone like sprocket who comes in and actually participates by commenting on the topic...yet his post gets lost in this BS.

sprocket
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
As easy as casual bowlers are to impress I think that "these days" they are not as easily impressed as they used to be. Back when I was a kid you might go to the bowling center not to bowl but just in the hopes that one of the local superstars was there practicing. I those days top bowlers became as good as they were through a lot of practice. Back in the 70's it wasn't just impressive to see someone stringing strikes, it was downright AWESOME because only the true experts did it. I idolized those local superstars and they were my main inspiration to become a good bowler myself. I still don't consider myself on par with any of them.

e-tank
12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I tried that strategy my friend. It hasn't stopped the behavior. I think it's just something you have to live with.

I'm not claiming innocence...but feel free to go through THIS thread (in question) and find the spot where after posting my initial question I insulted Iceman or D-hoff and started down this path. I know I've made comments here and there and I own that...but if people took off their foggy glasses and actually looked at the recent activity at face value...they'd see that I rarely EVER "start" it.

I may have differing opinions...and am quick to offer them...but my main crime is being unpopular and opinionated...not following forum members around making personal insults. I will respond however...since their behavior is not only left unchecked but encouraged...I guess I have that right don't I?

You dont have to start it to take part in it. And no, just because someone else does something doesnt mean you should do the same. Were not children.

Aslan
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
You dont have to start it to take part in it. And no, just because someone else does something doesnt mean you should do the same. Were not children.

I think I was inclined to agree with you before. But like I said, their behavior is not only allowed, but encouraged. Even you now...have criticized me twice for essentially "reacting" to abuse...yet I've never seen your or anyone else stand up to those making the personal attacks to start with. It's like telling a kid that is being bullied at school and responds by throwing a punch that he's in the wrong. Sure...you hope he finds a better way to deal with the frustration in an ideal world...but at some point don't the bullies deserve a little more condemnation than the one that "finally snapped"?

And this is a little off topic...but at this point...on topic is almost a joke...but there was some story about some kid that brought a gun to school...and after the investigation was done (long story short) it was found that the kid was obviously disturbed...yet had endured years and years of brutal and humiliating abuse at the hands of other students. Throwing feces at him...trying to light him on fire...online harassment...etc.. And it's real hard as a parent to see someone make a horrible decision to bring a gun to school...and potentially injure innocent kids and teachers...but after reading what that kid went through...and knowing at least some of the teachers and staff probably condoned or at the least looked the other way concerning the bullying...ya almost feel like the kid was justified...as terrible as that is.

And my "point" is...whether it's online or in society...it's real, real easy to just say..."well that kid or that online poster is kinda "odd" and doesn't really try to fit in...so I guess he kinda deserves the abuse to some extent." Or the arguement that "back in the day"...it was almost a right of passage...the bigger/older kids picked on the little/younger kids and thats all part of growing up....we all survived...no school shootings. So we tend to do what is called "groupthink"...which is an established theory regarding not only online society but even corporate society...where the masses tend to just go along with the flow...and the "troublemakers" with differeing opinions or opinions/beliefs that differ from the established group mantra are scolded, mocked, or in other ways "discouraged". Online...it leads to those who oppose the more established members to be labeled as "trolls" and eventually "moderated". Because for many fourms...and I'm sure bowl1820 would empathize with this....even if a person isn't necessarily breaking forum guidelines...and EVEN IF those flaming him/her are...with limited moderators (the vast majority working on a volunteer basis)...it's far "easier" to get rid of the "problem" by eliminating the alternate opinion than it is to tell multiple members of an established group that they need to accept differing opinions. Just like in school...the kid being bullied is often just told (by authority figures) things like, "Just don't go around them then." Or, "well...we'll put you in a different seat so you're not sitting in front of them." Rather than attack the "problem" (bullying, bad behavior, etc...)...it's much more easy and convenient to tell the victim to avoid or in online situations...to maybe "just post when you agree"...or as you said, "just because someone else does something...etc..." In other words...just ignore it.

dnhoffman
12-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Wasting your time e-tank, in Aslan's gentle mind he never has anything to own, in anything.

e-tank
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I think I was inclined to agree with you before. But like I said, their behavior is not only allowed, but encouraged. Even you now...have criticized me twice for essentially "reacting" to abuse...yet I've never seen your or anyone else stand up to those making the personal attacks to start with. It's like telling a kid that is being bullied at school and responds by throwing a punch that he's in the wrong. Sure...you hope he finds a better way to deal with the frustration in an ideal world...but at some point don't the bullies deserve a little more condemnation than the one that "finally snapped"?

I only read this far so this is what im going to respond to. Me telling it like it is, is now criticism? Your victimizing yourself even though im trying to help you? Youre right everyone could be called out but im talking to you, and youre failing to take the responsibility to make smart posts and letting things go which has nothing to do with everybody else. Thats on you, and only you can fix that.

vdubtx
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/Vdubtx/2edavf5.gif (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Vdubtx/media/2edavf5.gif.html)

bowl1820
12-06-2013, 03:14 PM
And this is a little off topic...but at this point...on topic is almost a joke...

Your right Aslan this topic has become joke! Comparing yourself to the bullied child in school is ridiculous and is a insult to the real ones.