PDA

View Full Version : Byte vs Virtual Gravity Nano pearl

MICHAEL
12-07-2013, 01:45 AM
Is there really much difference between the Byte, and the Virtual Gravity nano pearl?

I had that last 300 with a plugged twice Virtual Gravity Nano pearl,, it also gave me that best series 780!

I can buy another virtual gravity nano pearl on bowlingballcom for 144.00, but my pro shop guy here in town
said he can't even order one now!

I have looked at the ball comparison on bowlingball.com and they look almost the same! Anyone have any thoughts as to any big difference.

I am thinking about getting a new one, that has not been plugged twice, like mine, and why not go with a ball that seems to work GREAT for my style of bowling?

Should I go with the V.G. or take a chance and get the Byte! Decisions.....decisions!!

The Byte is going for around 159 around here up to 179.... humm

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 10:04 AM
I say buy yourself a new toy!

Plus the Byte smells like mulberry. What's mulberry you ask? Well, it's a combination of berries and heaven.

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Actually, I think you should base this entire decision on smell!

MICHAEL
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Actually, I think you should base this entire decision on smell!

Something smells funny about that reply!!

I am serious, do I stay with and purchase a new V.G. Nano pearl,,, and drill it the same way as my plugged twice, ball that recently gave me my best score and series? Or go with the Byte!! They look similar,,, but the V.G. works... but could the Byte work even better???? That is my dilemma!!

vdubtx
12-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Why buy a new ball that you already have? Plugging a ball doesn't do much too it. Like you keep saying, 300-780 series with it.

MICHAEL
12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Why buy a new ball that you already have? Plugging a ball doesn't do much too it. Like you keep saying, 300-780 series with it.

ouch!!! "like I keep saying"! LOL Thanks,,,, I needed that!!! I will just bowl that 800 with The plugged twice V.G. nano peal, I just hope I don't get AnOTHER 780, with a 300 to boot!! LOL O,,, did I say it again?? :p

I was just thinking, that V.G. is not being make anymore so I have been told, and Bowlingball.com has it in stock!
Knowing all newer balls seem to have a life span, should I get one before they become extinct, or pay more, and get the Byte. (which to me looks a lot like the V.G) ,,, that gave me the 780 and 300!! ;)

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Something smells funny about that reply!!

I am serious, do I stay with and purchase a new V.G. Nano pearl,,, and drill it the same way as my plugged twice, ball that recently gave me my best score and series? Or go with the Byte!! They look similar,,, but the V.G. works... but could the Byte work even better???? That is my dilemma!!

I was being serious!

But here's some more info to help you make your decision:

Every single bowling ball, because of pin length, coverstock pour, and many other factors, is a little but different. So even if you buy another VG Nano and drill it the same, there's no guarantee that it will move exactly the same.

That being said, it's a great ball, and so is the Byte! I'm sure you'll be happy with either one,a me they're very similar (the a byte seems to be the modern release of the VG Nano from Storm).

Really they're similar enough, and there are so few guarantees, that it comes down to "do you want a new toy, or a better condition of your same toy" ... So when I said "base your decision entirely on smell" I wasn't really being sarcastic.

e-tank
12-07-2013, 02:55 PM
in reality its just a couple boards probably

bowl1820
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
The V.G.nano pearl has a slightly lower RG with just a little more Diff. it should rev up just a little earlier than the Byte.

But they are very similar in the ratings, I'd look at price. Unless theres a big difference in price, I think I go with the Byte, being a newer ball and all.

But it's a toss up.

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
The V.G.nano pearl has a slightly lower RG with just a little more Diff. it should rev up just a little earlier than the Byte.

But they are very similar in the ratings, I'd look at price. Unless theres a big difference in price, I think I go with the Byte, being a newer ball and all.

But it's a toss up.

See Iceman... Toss up. So how do you decide....? MULBERRY, that's how.

Vince805
12-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Well i ended up getting the storm byte after all and it did not disappoint! I used it all 3 games Thursday night in league and it didn't start well, considering it was the first time throwing the ball was that night! so it took some messing with and getting used to....first game i bowled 180, second game 199, and third game one i figured out our MESSED UP LAND CONDITIONS!! i bowled a 248. 8 strikes to finish out. i'm sure on a fresh pattern i would of done better because one lane was the other was DRY! ive never had a VG nano but my pro shop guy said they are very similar. the byte has a very aggressive response to friction which makes it stronger in the back but the VG nano pearl is stronger on heavy long oil. and a stronger cover.
I'm very happy with my choice and cant wait to use it again! let me tell you it does make a heck of a turn when it hit the dry in the back! WOW!
And sine everyone is commenting on smell it does smell AMAZING! lol everyone likes the smell. I recommend it :-)

Vince805
12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Also i got mine drilled strong. Dont ask me the layout cuz i dont have a clue. but ill show you a picture when i figure out how

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Glad you like it Vince!

MICHAEL
12-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Also i got mine drilled strong. Dont ask me the layout cuz i dont have a clue. but ill show you a picture when i figure out how

thanks for the INFO!!! That would be great taking a picture, the go to the web site photobucket and convert it there!
then you can post it on this site!

I would like to see your lay out compared to mine.. I will post mine here soon!http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00259_zpse624c4e0.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00259_zpse624c4e0.jpg.html)

sprocket
12-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Iceman, that's almost the exact layout I know have in my IQ Tour Pearl. Mine has the CG even further right because my PAP is more than 6" over and the balance hole is now on my PAP. I haven't tried it yet with the new balance hole position but will tomorrow morning. I'm still up because I have been soaking my thumb. I got a sliver at work and was unable to dig it out. Now it's infected. It feels much better after soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for an hour but I still think the sliver is in there.

Vince805
12-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Glad you like it Vince!

thanks for the INFO!!! That would be great taking a picture, the go to the web site photobucket and convert it there!
then you can post it on this site!

I would like to see your lay out compared to mine.. I will post mine here soon!http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00259_zpse624c4e0.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00259_zpse624c4e0.jpg.html)

Your welcome!!!
ok i think i figured it out. by looking at it looks like we have the same layout almost but not certain...you would have to tell me lol
Here ya go :-)

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Byte is a good looking ball. The coverstock on my Sync is almost dead and I hardly throw it anymore but every time I do... Still love the ball motion.

MICHAEL
12-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Iceman, that's almost the exact layout I know have in my IQ Tour Pearl. Mine has the CG even further right because my PAP is more than 6" over and the balance hole is now on my PAP. I haven't tried it yet with the new balance hole position but will tomorrow morning. I'm still up because I have been soaking my thumb. I got a sliver at work and was unable to dig it out. Now it's infected. It feels much better after soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for an hour but I still think the sliver is in there.

I am sure its been mentioned before, but I have a very logical mind,,,lol,,,, and it just makes sense to me that a polished ball would not absorb as much oil, and that matte balls, would have a much shorter life span!

OR that you would need to de-oil the ball much more often to keep it in (close to out of box condition)!

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I am sure its been mentioned before, but I have a very logical mind,,,lol,,,, and it just makes sense to me that a polished ball would not absorb as much oil, and that matte balls, would have a much shorter life span!

OR that you would need to de-oil the ball much more often to keep it in (close to out of box condition)!

Nothing absorbs oil as much as the coverstock on my storm sync.

By contrast, I just put 30 games on my new primal rage (polished) and went to do a de-oil test and it didn't have a drop in it....

MICHAEL
12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I have come to the same conclusion,,, I am sure there is a good reason to go pearl, but it beyond ability to figure out WHY!
All my big game balls, and series have been with pearl balls. MUCH less work to keep the oil out! ( they don't absorb nearly as much)!

I think a pearl ball can do most anything you want depending,,, DEPENDING on how its drilled. Now I am talking standard house patterns, that 99.9 percent of bowlers participate in!!

Any other thoughts on this???

Is their REALLY a need for a matte ball ??

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
All depends on ball motion I guess.

josheaton16
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
You might wanna check this out Mike
http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/Storm/11303/Zero-Gravity.html

e-tank
12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I have come to the same conclusion,,, I am sure there is a good reason to go pearl, but it beyond ability to figure out WHY!
All my big game balls, and series have been with pearl balls. MUCH less work to keep the oil out! ( they don't absorb nearly as much)!

I think a pearl ball can do most anything you want depending,,, DEPENDING on how its drilled. Now I am talking standard house patterns, that 99.9 percent of bowlers participate in!!

Any other thoughts on this???

Is their REALLY a need for a matte ball ??

I dont particularly care for pearls as I would rather just polish a solid coverstock. This stems from my house conditions during league though

MICHAEL
12-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I dont particularly care for pearls as I would rather just polish a solid coverstock. This stems from my house conditions during league though

I hear you,,, but a lot of what makes a pearl a pearl, is the material that they put in it! Not just the polish! The polish I think adds lots of games before you need to de-0il the ball.

In my house I can throw any ball, Matte like my beatdown, or polished pearl like my to best games this year, (IQ pearl, and Virtual Gravity nano pearl),

My comment is maybe just from a less maintenance standpoint the pearls, with polish might be less work!

If you polish your matte ball, like you do e tank, I am sure it will absorb less oil too, plus give you more flip at the end, and save up energy going through the heads!

e-tank
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I hear you,,, but a lot of what makes a pearl a pearl, is the material that they put in it! Not just the polish! The polish I think adds lots of games before you need to de-0il the ball.

In my house I can throw any ball, Matte like my beatdown, or polished pearl like my to best games this year, (IQ pearl, and Virtual Gravity nano pearl),

My comment is maybe just from a less maintenance standpoint the pearls, with polish might be less work!

If you polish your matte ball, like you do e tank, I am sure it will absorb less oil too, plus give you more flip at the end, and save up energy going through the heads!

Very true although in the case of my teammate who doesnt wipe or clean his pearls, they sweat much more than even my matte heavy oilers lol

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Very true although in the case of my teammate who doesnt wipe or clean his pearls, they sweat much more than even my matte heavy oilers lol

I can wipe my sync after every shot, and clean it after every set.

Do nothing to my Primal Rage.

After 50 games Sync will sweat oil for an hour and a half, nothing from the rage.

e-tank
12-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I can wipe my sync after every shot, and clean it after every set.

Do nothing to my Primal Rage.

After 50 games Sync will sweat oil for an hour and a half, nothing from the rage.

sync must have some very large pores then huh lol

even when i had a hell raiser revenge and now a defiant, they dont sweat much, if at all whereas if i even breathe too much on my buddies lucid or iq, they leak

sprocket
12-08-2013, 07:11 PM
The IQ Tour Pearl Jason Belmonte was using on TV today clearly had blue oil in it and I believe Belmonte does wipe his balls off. I agree that it sure seems like pearls would absorb less oil but things aren't always as they seem.

dnhoffman
12-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Absorption is different than just having oil on the coverstock though

e-tank
12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Absorption is different than just having oil on the coverstock though

agreed. with the case of the blue oil, i would assume its just the blue dye leaving the stain, not oil still being present

MICHAEL
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM

thanks... now I can add that to the equation??? hummmmm What to get. I bowled tonight with my Brunswick, ball, the one I won on this website. This Zero gravity looks nice,,, way to much candy out there,,,, and Iceman has a bowling ball sweet tooth!! LOL

Before I went to the lanes I put it on the spinner and did a 500, then 2000, then cleaned it up with simple green, and alcohol.

I had it redriled with the tri-grip a while back, and it worked great tonight! I stayed with it all night, and it gave me a nice series... It could have been much better, just had a few mental lapes LOL!

It's a matte ball and out of the box finish is 4000. I like the way the 2000 went into the pocket! I bowl with my son, and a couple friends tomorrow, I might just see what it does and report on it! I'ts nice to just use one ball, and a spare!
Less balls to clean up!! (:)

MICHAEL
12-09-2013, 12:43 AM

ITs a matte polished! Hmmmmm, will be interesting to see what everyone is saying about it, nothing so far? Maybe its not out yet? I need to go back and see what type of core it has! Not a pearl cover stock like the nano, and Byte, but matte!

They are proud of it! Cost 164 on bowlingball.com... one of the most expensive!

Stormed1
12-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Since you like your Nano Pearl you could always just pick up another one and set it off to the side to drill at a later date to replace your current one

MICHAEL
12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Since you like your Nano Pearl you could always just pick up another one and set it off to the side to drill at a later date to replace your current one

good point storm, but who wants to buy a TOY and not play with it! NOT ME! LOL And,,, as mentioned all balls are made somewhat differently and positions of various ball characteristics!

When you have that PERFECT ball, could it be its uniqueness that makes it so?!,,,,, I don't know!:confused:

I might just get that extra nano,,, I wonder how many out there have done that themselves....

dnhoffman
12-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Like I said earlier - buying the same ball and drilling it the same, it's still going to roll a little bit different.

MICHAEL
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Like I said earlier - buying the same ball and drilling it the same, it's still going to roll a little bit different.
I think whats eating away at me is the: (grass might be greener on the other side of the fence syndrome)

If I bowl well with the Nano, could the byte even take me to a higher level.... LOL... damn.... its killing me!!!

dnhoffman
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Just accept it for what it is... You want a toy, and it's Christmas, so BUY A TOY!

Hampe
12-10-2013, 04:58 AM
My buddy and his wife each got a Byte pre-release (back in October) somehow......I'm STILL jealous. But I don't have a place for it in my arsenal right now :( (already got a medium and a heavy oil pearl ball).