PDA

View Full Version : Using a wrist protector as a training tool

zdawg
12-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Anybody have some tips to avoid becoming reliant on it? We had a two week break between our last league night and tonight so in the interim I've been practicing a LOT and I've mostly been using a Mongoose lifter because my wrist was starting to hurt (I think this might have to do with gripping the ball or maybe trying too hard to put rotation as my hook went away a while back). My goal was simply to help correct my release, keep my wrist from breaking back, and hopefully alleviating some of the wrist pain. But, I ONLY intended for it to be a training tool, not something I would become reliant on.

Well, after practicing with it for two weeks, I tried to bowl the first two games tonight without it and I was back to struggling to get a hook on the ball, some throws were good and others just went straight (and almost every single ball I threw missed the target). SO, the third game I used the Mongoose and bowled my best game of the night, and while it wasn't my best game ever it at least was consistent.

Anybody have any tips on using these devices simply as a training tool, so that I don't become reliant on it? I liken it to when I was a kid and first started a weight training regimen, often times in those days as I was building strength I would use wrist straps to assist my grip when performing heavier than usual lifts - but I always made sure not to become reliant on them so as not to cheat myself out of developing the proper forearm/wrist strength necessary. Eventually I stopped using them altogether.

I want to be able to do this with the Mongoose, the last thing I want to do is become reliant on it, I'm just not sure if/how often it should be used. At the very least I think I'll refrain from using it in practice the day before a league night.

classygranny
12-07-2013, 09:40 AM
If you want to use the wrist protector as a training tool, you have to bowl with that mindset. For example, make sure that every shot you are aware and cognizant of your wrist position and "feel" what your wrist is doing. If you just put it on and bowl, then your wrist, as well as your muscle memory will not be in use - this would create a "need" to use the protector at all times. Also, while practicing (or even in league) bowl a few frames with it, keep your awareness high, then remove it a few frames, and then alternate back and forth like that to give you the opportunity to "learn" the muscle memory of a good wrist position. Just my humble opinion...from some experience.

e-tank
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Seeing all the wrist supporters do is keep you wrist from breaking back, if you keep your wrist cupped or at least straight, youll get the same results as a supporter

zdawg
12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
If you want to use the wrist protector as a training tool, you have to bowl with that mindset. For example, make sure that every shot you are aware and cognizant of your wrist position and "feel" what your wrist is doing. If you just put it on and bowl, then your wrist, as well as your muscle memory will not be in use - this would create a "need" to use the protector at all times. Also, while practicing (or even in league) bowl a few frames with it, keep your awareness high, then remove it a few frames, and then alternate back and forth like that to give you the opportunity to "learn" the muscle memory of a good wrist position. Just my humble opinion...from some experience.

You're right, I haven't been cognizant of my wrist when wearing it, so it makes sense. I think I'll mix it up while practicing this week and see what I can figure out.

zdawg
12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Seeing all the wrist supporters do is keep you wrist from breaking back, if you keep your wrist cupped or at least straight, youll get the same results as a supporter

Well the reason I bought this one, is it's supposed to actually force you to lift the ball in addition to keeping your wrist straight, as opposed to just keeping your wrist straight. I've been wary of my release ever since I changed a ton of my mechanics, so I wanted to make sure that my release was consistent.

e-tank
12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Well the reason I bought this one, is it's supposed to actually force you to lift the ball in addition to keeping your wrist straight, as opposed to just keeping your wrist straight. I've been wary of my release ever since I changed a ton of my mechanics, so I wanted to make sure that my release was consistent.

this is just a guess but wouldnt practicing doing that w/o the brace give you the muscle memory and confidence to do it? For example when im not at the lanes and have some free time at home, i practice my approach and release by throwing my ball on my bed.

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I do it, recommend the Mongoose Lifter as well.

It doesn't jus brace your wrist e-tank, it has a strap that teaches you to tuck the pinky really helps you use your fingers more...

e-tank
12-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I do it, recommend the Mongoose Lifter as well.

It doesn't jus brace your wrist e-tank, it has a strap that teaches you to tuck the pinky really helps you use your fingers more...

ah i see. I had no idea. I was picturing one of those braces that has the metal plate in it that prevents your wrist from breaking. Guess i shouldve done my research haha

Hammer
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
If your wrist breaks back without the wrist support it might be because of two things. First, you just might have a weak wrist. Second, you might be using a ball that is too heavy for you. When I was younger I used a 16# ball. Then when I got older I went to a 15# ball because my wrist would hurt after I bowled my three league games. Now I use a 14# Blue Hammer ball. I find it easier on the wrist and it strikes just as good as my 15# on pocket hits.

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 05:07 PM
ah i see. I had no idea. I was picturing one of those braces that has the metal plate in it that prevents your wrist from breaking. Guess i shouldve done my research haha

Seriously though it's a pretty neat brace, I've been using it with some of my clients learning to bowl fingertip to teach how to "get more finger lift" into their release.

Rdmonster
12-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I have the Mongoose lifter as well. I've had some serious issues with both my thumb and my wrist. I solved the thumb issue through better fit. The wrist issue is tougher because I try to cup my wrist big time and when my game gets worse so does my effort to cup and increase my revs. This leads to lots of pain and I have trouble concentrating on my game because I'm trying to not hurt myself. The Mongoose allows me to keep a more "relaxed" wrist. This allows me to put more loft on the ball and get more rotation and repeatability. I used to practice with it but leave it in the bag on league.

I brought it out last league because my wrist was starting to sting. Had my first 600 series since last years league. I might leave it on for a while. I'm not sure (besides the obvious) why my wrist gets so sore. I'm actually quite strong as I have been doing weight training for years.

zdawg
12-07-2013, 05:37 PM
If your wrist breaks back without the wrist support it might be because of two things. First, you just might have a weak wrist. Second, you might be using a ball that is too heavy for you. When I was younger I used a 16# ball. Then when I got older I went to a 15# ball because my wrist would hurt after I bowled my three league games. Now I use a 14# Blue Hammer ball. I find it easier on the wrist and it strikes just as good as my 15# on pocket hits.

I've thought of this, however I've been an avid weightlifter and jiu-jitsu/judo practitioner for most of my life (all three of which require exceptional grip/wrist strength). That said, it might be the intricacies of throwing a 15 lb bowling ball is more of a finesse move that my wrist isn't conditioned for properly? I dunno....but I had to really check my ego to buy the thing in the first place (I'm the only guy under 40 who uses one in my league), so at this point I'm willing to consider that my wrists aren't strong from a strictly bowling perspective.

Second, I'm about a 215 lb guy who again has been an avid weightlifter for over 25 years, I see guys half my size/strength thowing balls 6-8 mph faster than me and it leaves me wondering what's going on.

As I said, I've decided to check my ego at the door in order to get better, but I'm willing to suspect given my frame/strength/fitness level, that my wrist problems are more due to me squeezing the ball. One thing I have a problem with is my grip, the first time I went to a driving range I gripped the club so hard that the gripping part of the club tore the skin off both my thumb/fingertips by the end of the session. The one thing about bench pressing 430 lbs (or throwing a 220 lb man over your shoulder) you learn early on is that you have to have an iron grip, I'm willing to bet years and years of this type mindset/training might have a lot to do with it.

I dunno though, the first two months I was bowling I had no problem hooking the ball and zero wrist pain, the last month since I've experienced constant wrist pain/trouble hooking the ball, and I'm thinking that in turn is causing my wrist to break back.

I did get my thumbhole plugged and redrilled with some forward pitch the other day, not only is it drilled more snug but I think the fit overall is much better.

zdawg
12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I have the Mongoose lifter as well. I've had some serious issues with both my thumb and my wrist. I solved the thumb issue through better fit. The wrist issue is tougher because I try to cup my wrist big time and when my game gets worse so does my effort to cup and increase my revs. This leads to lots of pain and I have trouble concentrating on my game because I'm trying to not hurt myself. The Mongoose allows me to keep a more "relaxed" wrist. This allows me to put more loft on the ball and get more rotation and repeatability. I used to practice with it but leave it in the bag on league.

I brought it out last league because my wrist was starting to sting. Had my first 600 series since last years league. I might leave it on for a while. I'm not sure (besides the obvious) why my wrist gets so sore. I'm actually quite strong as I have been doing weight training for years.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing and is my major conundrum as well. And its funny you mention thumb AND wrist, because that is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. My thumb problem is the ligaments on the inside of my wrist sometimes giving me some pain, but I'm hoping the new drilling of my thumbhole might help alleviate that.

e-tank
12-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Seriously though it's a pretty neat brace, I've been using it with some of my clients learning to bowl fingertip to teach how to "get more finger lift" into their release.

maybe i should get my gf one. She rotates too early so she cuts some of her revs and it turn she has to adjust her speed. Ive been trying to get her to flatten her wrist and lift and rotate but shes stubborn

sprocket
12-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a question about braces that hold the wrist in a sem-cupped position: One of my teammates uses one and I notice he has a tendency to go over the top of the ball. I think it might be becomes his thumb gets trapped due to being unable to un-cup his wrist at release. I suggested he may want more left lateral in the thumb hole but I'm not sure if that is correct. It just seems right when I visualize it. So my question is, is left lateral pitch in the thumb hole a good idea for those using this type of wrist device?

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 11:27 PM
maybe i should get my gf one. She rotates too early so she cuts some of her revs and it turn she has to adjust her speed. Ive been trying to get her to flatten her wrist and lift and rotate but shes stubborn

I would, it's a great teaching tool.

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a question about braces that hold the wrist in a sem-cupped position: One of my teammates uses one and I notice he has a tendency to go over the top of the ball. I think it might be becomes his thumb gets trapped due to being unable to un-cup his wrist at release. I suggested he may want more left lateral in the thumb hole but I'm not sure if that is correct. It just seems right when I visualize it. So my question is, is left lateral pitch in the thumb hole a good idea for those using this type of wrist device?

I think what you're describing is squeezing and spinning. This is usually solved by a proper fit and a relaxed grip.