PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to practice with my IQ Tour Pearl tomorrow/ moved balance hole

sprocket
12-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Well, the best reaction I have gotten with this ball was last Sunday in practice after giving the ball a high polish. I was getting a lot of over/under at first but after closing up my angle my reaction improved greatly and I bowled a 289 game. I followed that with a few more games over 200 but my carry got worse and worse. I tried to use it Monday on league but it was over/under city and I left 5 splits before switching balls.

It had a weight hole in the lower quadrant; I guess it would be called P3. I brought it back to the pro-shop yesterday and he did a quick plug and moved the weight hole onto my PAP. I really like that idea and I'll bet it will really tame out the reaction.

I'd better get to bed so I am rested for tomorrow's practice session!

dnhoffman
12-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Best of luck, great bowling!

sprocket
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I had 259 the first game and it does have a more stable roll. Then I had around 200 then 190 and I realized something was wrong. I was throwing that shiny pearl ball rather slow, which works the first game because I am getting old, but then becomes forced the longer I bowl. I changed balls but even after that I was finding that I was having trouble with the consistency in my release. Mind you, I bowl thumbless. I tried to switch back to using my thumb for a few weeks but I think I will wait on that until I can get some good lessons.

So, in a thumbless delivery with a short back swing a lot of things happen very quickly at release and the timing has to be spot on. What I noticed was that some times I would turn the ball early, sometimes late, sometimes miss left and sometimes miss right. So I tried something new. I roll the ball back on my wrist and cock it so I tried rotating the ball slightly to the inside and less behind it. This might seem backwards, but by giving the turn a head start, It doesn't have as far to go at release. In fact, it doesn't have to go ANYWHERE. Now it feels like I am simply going straight through it and not around it. My track has moved 1/2" lower by the thumb hole and the ball has less axis rotation.

The last game I threw with my Strike Zone and it was really good. I had 240 something with a 7-10 split and I think I had the last 7 or 8 in a row and they were carbon copies of each other. I was playing fairly direct up second arrow and the ball roll was very pure with a smooth, angular move to the pocket. I'm very happy with how it looked and felt and am really looking forward to league tomorrow night.:)

I will select a ball in warm-ups based on how much oil there is. Today there was more oil than there has been for a few weeks. Tomorrow could be different.

MICHAEL
12-10-2013, 08:51 AM
I will select a ball in warm-ups based on how much oil there is. Today there was more oil than there has been for a few weeks. Tomorrow could be different.[/QUOTE]

I think that's what makes it such a great sport! Every lane is different, oil changes from week to week, temperature, humidity, even little things like a heating vent above your bowling lanes!

After watching the pros this last weekend, and the LOW SCORES,,, it proved to me what a challenge it is to bowl the Sport Patterns!!!

My thoughts are now to bowl a Sports league this SUMMER,,, Looking forward to the humbling, challenge! Iceman lives for challenges!!