PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman joins World Bowling Writers Hall of Fame

onefrombills
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Former Team USA member Bill Hoffman of Columbus, Ohio, has become just the second American male elected to the World Bowling Writers Hall of Fame.

Hoffman joins Les Zikes of Chicago, who was inducted in 1999, among an elite group of international players selected for the honor. To be eligible for inclusion in the World Bowling Writers Hall of Fame, players must have earned a minimum of 20 points based on medals won in international competition.

Hoffman was on the ballot the past two years and believes helping Team USA to the gold medal in team event at the World Men's Championships in Bangkok, Thailand, last year helped his case.

"I'm truly honored to have been elected to the hall of fame," said Hoffman, who was selected by earning two-thirds of the votes of the World Bowling Writers selection panel. "What I am most proud of is that in each of the four World Championships I have participated, we have won two silver and two gold medals in the five-man team event. A lot of the credit for that goes to my coaches and teammates over this 10-year journey."

A nine-time Team USA member from 1999-2008, Hoffman has won dozens of medals in international competition. In 2007, he became the first American male to win the prestigious QubicaAMF World Cup in more than a decade. He also was the U.S. Amateur champion in 1999 and 2003.

Hoffman now serves as the International Development team leader for the United States Bowling Congress, helping to grow the sport of bowling around the world.